• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Barry Corr explains reasons for leaving Southend United to join Cambridge

PB - Of course we're disappointed to see Barry leave but he's been made a fantastic offer which he has chosen to accept.

Let move on, he was going to be a squad players at least on the sub bench with odds first team start & in the cup games. We can bring at least 3 new forward who can make us unpredictable in League 1.

yay - hes gone ....

nothing to do with money either ...... just ego - bring back Barney

He never felt wanted or we were not playing two up front for his preferred style..... What a load of horse *****.

I'm gutted he's gone.... But he is gone. There's a few comments he had made which don't make sense and have really wound me up but.... Thanks Barry but now let's look ahead and continue without him

I bet he is really worried about this deep down, ok he's earning a few more squid from a high risk do or die club but he's missed the chance to show people he can play at a higher level..

Not getting any younger Baz and you are back at the basement of your profession.. hope the extra £ is worth it for the 2 years you have it for...

Ps - enjoy Morecombe and Accrington

Target men play up front on their own, bring the ball down & hold it up for others to bring into play, Barry could hold it up, he couldn't find the pass to bring others into play cos he lacked the vision.

He will struggle at Cambridge too...........

where else has he struggled, certainty didn't stuggle for us

This may sound bitter but **** him. I hope this 'shock' doesn't drag on. We just got promoted at Wembley, it up to PB to keep that feel good factor going. There's been a lots of clubs who have lost important players and still performed better than expected.

Good luck to him , hes 30 years old ,only has a couple of seasons left in his body ,so needs to make a future for himself and family ( if hes married ).But the real reason he left was because he wanted to play against Borient not Col Ewe.good luck Barry and thank you for the 5 seasons you been with us , PS If Cambridge have any sense they wont allow him to take any penalties ....lol
:hilarious:

I think Barry Corr has done a great job at Southend. But I do not think his departure is going to hurt the club. Many years ago David Crown was sold to Gillingham after playing a key role in scoring the goals that secured promotion for Southend. Crown's departure certainly did not halt the momentum of David Webb's team and I do not think Corr's departure will put the brake on Phil Brown's team either.

Bad conduct to leave it so late and I don't usually defend Ron but I'll say 2 things:

1) SUFC lives on the brink of financial ruin but also competed for promotion - therefore wouldn't be sure of budgets/squad needs etc. for next season until it was known what division we'd be playing in. Perhaps a wish to not distract players from the task at hand with mid-season contract negotiations/use the carrot of POTENTIAL new contract to boost performance levels was a noble in theory, but ultimately ill-fated practice followed.

2) If Barry felt today like the club didn't try hard enough to keep him, then he would almost certainly have felt that way only a week ago after the playoff final. A week doesn't make that big a difference to his feelings, especially this late in the season. With that in mind, why did he come out in the press a week ago saying how much he loved it here and wanted to stay? At the end of the day, we offered him the opportunity to do so along with the security of a 2-year deal and a higher standard of football - no matter how late in the day it was offered. I suspect either he was offered excellent money by Cambridge (more than we offered) or he was very honest with himself and felt that L1 would be a bit beyond him quality-wise and physically with his age and injury history. Or both.

Either way I'm not sure Barry is being entirely honest. There is obviously something more to it than meets the eye. His wife and child still live in Swindon, they take it in turns to travel back and forth and Southend is far enough away from there - Cambridge is even further, so the move doesn't make a lot of sense. Either we offered him less money than he's on now (highly doubt it) or Cambridge him offered him silly money (more likely, and I'm glad we didn't match it if that's the case).

We didn't tie up his previous contract until 26th June 2013.......later in the day than we've attempted it this year. He'd just come off the back of a good season of 42 apps and 13 goals and there were 4 clubs in L2 desperately attempting to sign him too. But he re-signed with us......and that was at a lower level than we're at now and at a time when finances weren't great and the other interested clubs were probably offering more. So this just doesn't add up.

As we all know , players , generally , are employees and not fans of the club they are playing for .For this reason they go where the money is and loyalty is not an attribute they possess ( with a few exceptions ) .
From a personal point of view , all be it only 2-3 games a season due to my location for the last 5 years , i thought he was a decent player , obviously very good in the air ,but not in the category of others ,Leonard, Bentley , Timlin to name a few .
I dont think it is a bad thing he is moving on as an upgrade would be necessary to compete favourably in league 1 imo.

That said good luck to him as he seems a decent fella with a good attitude and has scored some pretty crucial goals over the last 5 seasons .

To be fair, when any of us are looking for a new job it is totally normal practice to make the decision once the offer of a new job us in place and then advise your current employer, who then has the option of persuading you to stay (or not). So, in that context, Barry has done what any other employee will do, particularly where a contract is about to expire. Despite the interest of us fans, and the press, it really isn't anyone else's business where he chooses to work and he really didn't have to offer an explanation publicly. It says a lot about him that he did the interview, and I expect he thought long and hard about what he would say, and I guess that he also weighed up the various scenarios before he made any decisions. That said, if he was offered more money at Cambridge, it is likely that he concluded that league 1 was a step too far, and as he wants to play, maybe being the lone striker or on the bench wasn't an appealing option, and coupled with an offer of lesser money which didn't arrive till the 11th hour, it isn't totally surprising he felt a bit unloved!

Also, with his age and his various injury issues, realistically he maybe doesn't have many seasons left, and needs to maximise his earning potential while he can. He hasn't been in the higher leagues, and won't have made his fortune in the game, and he has a family to support.

Back