• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Barry Corr explains reasons for leaving Southend United to join Cambridge

I think Barry Corr has done a great job at Southend. But I do not think his departure is going to hurt the club. Many years ago David Crown was sold to Gillingham after playing a key role in scoring the goals that secured promotion for Southend. Crown's departure certainly did not halt the momentum of David Webb's team and I do not think Corr's departure will put the brake on Phil Brown's team either.

That is exactly what I was going to point out. Crown's replacement was a relative unknown called Brett Angell.

We have always , and probably always will , eventually lose our better players.
I don't like it but it happens.
I think Corr did a great job for us.
Would he have done in L1 ?
Don't know in all honesty , and won't know now.
My biggest concern is the message this sends out to other potential signings.
Very rarely do players who are not almost finished , drop down a league and I'm guessing even fewer do it after being top scorer in a side that just gained promotion.
I guess money is a big part of this and I have no issues with that.
Lower league players have little time to earn relatively little money.
Just sends out an awful message IMO.
In Brown we trust.
Unless he's off too ........

Corr was obviously not a fan of PB's tactics given his comments so overall if you aren't happy and you get offered more money the decision becomes easy.

Originally Posted by Rayleigh boy
"yay - hes gone ....
nothing to do with money either ...... just ego - bring back Barney.."

image.jpg

No thanks, look at the state of this washed up has been...

BC explained his situation which I think was bloody decent of him,the club were stalling and he never liked the lone forward role.

Fair enough.

He speaks for me!

Corr you are dead to me you ungreatful tosser

Don't agree that this makes Corr in any way grateful.

We paid him for his services and he played football for us
Then his contract expired, we should have sorted that out at least a month ago ffs.
If you value a player that much you just dont let the situation arise where he can walk away.

If anyone is to blame it's the club, Corr was just exercising his right as a free agent, that doesnt make him grateful.

He speaks for me!

Corr you are dead to me you ungreatful tosser

His contract had expired, we should have sorted that out at least a month ago ffs.
If you value a player that much you just dont let the situation arise where he can walk away.

If anyone is to blame it's the club, Corr was just exercising his right as a free agent, that doesnt make him grateful.

Yes, but he left out the much more money bit.

And ignored the fact he has only had to play the lone role a couple of times in the last 25 games.

He had Portsmouth and Oxford interested, both bigger clubs that Cambridge. There is a reason he went to the smallest club interested in him, and at his age I dont begrudge him that.

The fact we left it this long to offer him a contract just allowed him to be in a position to accept it.

"Professional footballer in

His contract had expired, we should have sorted that out at least a month ago ffs.

"Professional footballer in job security shocker!". Yep, we left it too long. Had we not offered a deal, he may have found himself with no club at all. But of course, in that position, many here claim they'd risk it out of loyalty. Doesn't pay the bills though, does it?

"Professional footballer in

"Professional footballer in job security shocker!". Yep, we left it too long. Had we not offered a deal, he may have found himself with no club at all. But of course, in that position, many here claim they'd risk it out of loyalty. Doesn't pay the bills though, does it?

Exactly Rob,I don't blame the guy whatsoever.

Yes, but he left out the much more money bit.

If Barry Corr was simply after more money, he surely would have gone back to Phil Brown and Ron Martin and used the Cambridge offer as leverage to extract a better deal from Southend. But judging by the reaction of Ron Martin, this simply did not happen (or maybe it did happen and Martin refused to play that game but is covering this up by feigning surprise at Corr signing for Cambridge?). Also did Cambridge really offer Corr more money than was on the table at Portsmouth or Oxford? Maybe Cambridge have given Corr a commitment to help him develop a career after his playing days (ie coaching)? Such things can matter to a player facing the latter stages of his soccer career.

Perhaps the answer is we weren't bothered either way.

If Barry Corr was simply after more money, he surely would have gone back to Phil Brown and Ron Martin and used the Cambridge offer as leverage to extract a better deal from Southend.

I thought that too, but there is the possibility that Cambridge played hardball and said they were not getting into a bidding war and only left their offer on the table on a "take it or leave it now" basis.

Back