• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Barry Corr explains reasons for leaving Southend United to join Cambridge

Every footballer wants their slice of the pie,Ron decided to offer him a crap deal then CU offered him more.

No brainer.

How much did we offer him? What have we offered Timlin, just so we know what to expect the outcome of that to be?

Who cares if money was one of the reasons, we are talking about a profession that lasts until someone is in their mid-30s and he was hardly on mega rich bucks here anyway. This isn't someone who is already on £100k a week.

I bet if someone offered you the same job for more money then you'd take it.

I’m not with the devastated bunch of SZ and I’m certainly not with the segment that are slagging Barry off.

IMO there is no way we should be breaking the bank for a player like Corr, he holds a place in many hearts as he put so much in and overcome adversity, he did a solid job but even when he was our top scorer on several occasions he never attracted attention from a higher level. He has all the attributes of a good league 2 striker but he is clearly a limited player. I’d have liked him here as a squad player next season but can totally understand him wanting 1[SUP]st[/SUP] team football and getting the best wage he can in the last few yrs of his career.

Barry is a unique player for me as I can’t think of any other that has won me over the way he did. At the start of the Sturrock era all I saw was a big man who suited the Sturrock “get the ball in the box” tactics but gave away a foul virtually every time we did get the ball in. He frustrated me and I thought he was a completely donkey contesting Drewe Broughton. He started scoring goals and became a bit of a cult hero for some, I still didn’t see the appeal, he seemed like the personification of the Sturrock football I hated. I fully expected him to be shipped out when Brown came but he stayed and showed me more and more how valuable he was to this side, he was a big man up front still but he was more ball to feet and holding players off. You really saw how much he brought when he wasn’t playing, despite the goal return not being great and him personally not liking the position, I think he was a superb lone front man at league 2 level. I was a fan. Rumours of his back problems circulated and there were periods when you wondered if he was finished, holding his back after jumping for headers during poor games where he was ineffective, but he always came back with scoring flurries and performances.The guy has my admiration and thanks for what he did at this club.

Good god get a grip.

People in offices, building sites, supermarkets....All move on for more money. If we really wanted to keep him then we would have offered him a deal well before his contract expired like we did Leonard, Bentley, Hurst etc.

Truth is BBBC is a good basic footballer. He scores goals if you put in on his head as he proved more than ever with Ryan Hall feeding him. He is a good basic player but that is it.

He has a bad discipline record, he misses a fair few and he struggles to play with another forward.

I wish him the best. It a backwards move on a footballing front but I don't think SUFC care and Corr who has two kids has taken a financial decision. Why the animosity to a player who did a good job. Who here wouldn't move to another firm for more money if your boss is basically saying he doesn't value you?

Onwards and upwards. Personally excited to see who we replace him with and glad he has moved on without the indignity of us bombing him out.

Every footballer wants their slice of the pie,Ron decided to offer him a crap deal then CU offered him more.

No brainer.

If you read my other posts I am saying I don't blame him for wanting and getting much more money, but I don't like all the excuses for leaving that leave out probably the most important one to him, and that's a lot more money.

Blaming the club for not chasing you to sign Yaya/Barry?

Poor show after your injury troubles.

Don't blame him for moving on if Cambridge offering more financial security, but be honest about it. Will be sorry to see him go, has been a very good servant to SUFC.

We need to sign a minimum of 4 strikers now.

Couldn't agree more.
He's given good service through tricky times both for us and him personally
He probably got wind that he wasn't going to get a 2 yr offer
He gets one from Camb Utd in a league where he knows he can offer a service.
Cambridge isn't too big a change in location
Ticks a lot of boxes for everybody methinks

The way I see it is Corr Timlin and White were all offered two year deals . Apart from you Mrs blue no one knows what finances were attached to these deals . And we will never know .I strongly believe this move was on the cards a while ago .Reading into what Brown hjas said that some other clubs have been sniffing around corr . Maybe in the long run this move may be for the best for him and Southend united . Because now we will have to look around for a striker that is one fit all season and two scores goals on a regular bases .

Back