• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blues boss Brown hoping to make double signing

David Webb and Steve Tilson were more successful and on less budgets

Can't really compare the Webby era then to now in regards to money. Money , especially in football was a lot different than it is now. Also, that era, unless I'm mistaken was before the "out of contract " issues faced by all clubs now, where football clubs had more power than the players did.

In terms of Tilson, yes, his team on his budget was special, especially the rise form league 2,1 to Championship, but look what happened when he was given money . People talk on here as though they would get all the players wanted, within the first week of the pre season and that it's a simple task just because other clubs are getting in 6,7 8 players ... the balance of adding to wholesale changes is somewhat different I would say.

Also finally , some people are alluding to Rons small budget , however when Ron faced Gina is ruin in the infamous season with no wages being played , he was attacked for running the club into the ground. Just shows you can't win really.

Also finally , some people are alluding to Rons small budget , however when Ron faced Gina is ruin in the infamous season with no wages being played , he was attacked for running the club into the ground. Just shows you can't win really.

You've lost me there.

Haha ... I typed it on my phone and I can't read the whole box , so to be honest , I've lost myself as well ! It seemed to make sense when I typed it ... but my phone obviously had better ideas.

Yep, I make you right there, although I was thinking Gina was the cleaner...

I thought it was an oblique reference to when Ron started wearing dungarees, grew a beard and starting singing that Dexys song .......... how does it go now ......

Gino, Gino, Gino ...........

Agreed. PB will be the first to say that he wants the players he needs in early. Of course, if he identified Rory McArdle as someone he wanted and we offered him the deal he wants, he would have signed on May 19th or whenever.

We really don't have any aces when it comes to getting players. If Southend are keen, then any agent will say "I can get you a better deal than going there. Leave it with me" and so the process begins.

The only players we would pick-up by getting in early are the ones who think they can't do any better and we really don't need those, as has been proved with the players we shipped out in May.

For every Pep or Arsene, there's a whole heap of clubs grabbing any old turkey in the shop and trying to gel them into a winning team in June. Plenty of those will fail, as they did last season.

It's not all about strengthening early. You have to get the quality you need and PB has one hand tied behind his back at every turn, in that regard.

Fine up until the last sentence.

Agreed. PB will be the first to say that he wants the players he needs in early. Of course, if he identified Rory McArdle as someone he wanted and we offered him the deal he wants, he would have signed on May 19th or whenever.

We really don't have any aces when it comes to getting players. If Southend are keen, then any agent will say "I can get you a better deal than going there. Leave it with me" and so the process begins.

The only players we would pick-up by getting in early are the ones who think they can't do any better and we really don't need those, as has been proved with the players we shipped out in May.
Worth remembering that regardless of what PB/Ron are doing, our location really doesn't help matters given the huge number of clubs up north in the bottom half of the Championship and League One, even the top end of League Two.

McArdle is a prime example of the kind of player who we were always starting on the back foot with as he's settled in the north and it would take an even more convincing offer to get him to relocate.

Last edited:
Worth remembering that regardless of what PB/Ron are doing, our location really doesn't help matters given the huge number of clubs up north in the bottom half of the Championship and League One, even the top end of League Two.

McArdle is a prime example of the kind of player who we were always starting on the back foot with as he's settled in the north and it would take an even more convincing offer to get him to relocate.

And a lot more money, due to the difference in cost of living down here; I really don't think a lot of people appreciate that sometimes

And a lot more money, due to the difference in cost of living down here; I really don't think a lot of people appreciate that sometimes
Absolutely right. A 3-bed detached house where I live in Lincolnshire costs round about 40% less to buy than the current price for a similar house on Canvey, where I used to live.

I see Portsmouth have completed their first signing. It's official, we've done it and topped the league as the only club not to make a single signing as we head towards the start of pre season. It must of course all be down to location and money and agents and the wind blowing in a northerly direction

I see Portsmouth have completed their first signing. It's official, we've done it and topped the league as the only club not to make a single signing as we head towards the start of pre season. It must of course all be down to location and money and agents and the wind blowing in a northerly direction
Perhaps Bob Shaw went on holiday with PB as well ;0)

I see Portsmouth have completed their first signing. It's official, we've done it and topped the league as the only club not to make a single signing as we head towards the start of pre season. It must of course all be down to location and money and agents and the wind blowing in a northerly direction.

And we have Brian Horton as well ..............

We are always slow in transfer window - we also always achieve more than previous season under PB. To your horror I presume.
Name any other manager in the Football League who has improved his club's league position - in the last four seasons. Name one!!
Eddie Howe at Bournemouth and Chris Wilder (both Northampton and Sheff Utd) for starters.

I think part of the problem regarding the slightly uneasy relationship some fans have with PB is that we've been spoilt over the last decade or so. Two successful managers in a row before PB and numerous trips to the Millennium Stadium and Wembley. And obviously there are going to be comparisons with Tilly and the manner in which we got a double promotion. A very relaxed relationship with his players and enough trust to let them get on with it.

In comparison/contrast Brown's tactics have been on occasions baffling and costly, and the explosive relationships with some players not too popular with us. Automatic promotion from League 2 was in our hands on the final day of the season and for whatever reason PB changed tactics and it failed. We then very nearly cocked up the play-off final with Brown picking a horrible starting line-up designed not to lose rather than to win.

For what it's worth I don't really have any problem with the two seasons in League 1. Consolidation was the first aim following promotion and we managed that comfortably. The dire start to last season saw Brown at his worst but he deserves a lot of credit for the way he turned things around with astute signings. Yes, we had a play-off spot in our own hands but in fairness I don't think we would have succeeded anyway. We looked totally knackered and wouldn't have been able to cope with potentially three more games in quick succession.

Ultimately we should continue to back Brown as there is no guarantee his successor would be as successful as he and his two predecessors have been.

Eddie Howe at Bournemouth and Chris Wilder (both Northampton and Sheff Utd) for starters.

I think part of the problem regarding the slightly uneasy relationship some fans have with PB is that we've been spoilt over the last decade or so. Two successful managers in a row before PB and numerous trips to the Millennium Stadium and Wembley. And obviously there are going to be comparisons with Tilly and the manner in which we got a double promotion. A very relaxed relationship with his players and enough trust to let them get on with it.

In comparison/contrast Brown's tactics have been on occasions baffling and costly, and the explosive relationships with some players not too popular with us. Automatic promotion from League 2 was in our hands on the final day of the season and for whatever reason PB changed tactics and it failed. We then very nearly cocked up the play-off final with Brown picking a horrible starting line-up designed not to lose rather than to win.

For what it's worth I don't really have any problem with the two seasons in League 1. Consolidation was the first aim following promotion and we managed that comfortably. The dire start to last season saw Brown at his worst but he deserves a lot of credit for the way he turned things around with astute signings. Yes, we had a play-off spot in our own hands but in fairness I don't think we would have succeeded anyway. We looked totally knackered and wouldn't have been able to cope with potentially three more games in quick succession.

Ultimately we should continue to back Brown as there is no guarantee his successor would be as successful as he and his two predecessors have been.

Hmmm. Two successful managers in a row before PB?? Paul Sturrock won us? Got us promotion? Naah. Just the most boring football I have ever seen Southend United play.
Though I agree our support has been rather spoiled in recent years.

Chris Wilder? Two clubs is not really the same progression as Sheff Utd are very different to Cobblers..
Eddie Howe? Great shout!

I would say that "the uneasy relationship" you speak of is more down to some fans disliking Phil Brown from the start and then seeking to highlight only the down points and ignoring the plus points or seeking to diminish his successes...a bit like you have with the league 2 promotion.

You state that we failed to gain promotion on the last day but fail to mention that we only achieved that position the week before following a long run (7?) of wins. We barely spent any time that season in the automatic promotion season, unlike in Paul Sturrock's second season where we really did fall away. Yet according to you Sturrock was successful and Brown is not.

I am not having a go at Sturrock who did a great in stabilising the club. It is just the belittling of Brown's achievements I do not understand.

Back