• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blues boss Brown hoping to make double signing

Hmmm. Two successful managers in a row before PB?? Paul Sturrock won us? Got us promotion? Naah. Just the most boring football I have ever seen Southend United play.
Though I agree our support has been rather spoiled in recent years.

Chris Wilder? Two clubs is not really the same progression as Sheff Utd are very different to Cobblers..
Eddie Howe? Great shout!
Sturrock kept the club alive and took us to Wembley for the first time. He did his bit in building a squad that may have fallen short under him but one that his successor could build on further. And Brown succeeded and well done to him. Sturrock also gave us Bilel Mohsni; the most unique and entertaining player I've ever had the privilege to watch and that's good enough for me. :smile:

Regarding Chris Wilder, he won two successive titles; I think Northampton had been in League 2 for five seasons so getting them out was a decent achievement. And Sheffield United had been languishing below their level for a few seasons (I think?) so Wilder achieving promotion so soon shouldn't be dismissed as inevitable.

I would say that "the uneasy relationship" you speak of is more down to some fans disliking Phil Brown from the start and then seeking to highlight only the down points and ignoring the plus points or seeking to diminish his successes...a bit like you have with the league 2 promotion.

You state that we failed to gain promotion on the last day but fail to mention that we only achieved that position the week before following a long run (7?) of wins. We barely spent any time that season in the automatic promotion season, unlike in Paul Sturrock's second season where we really did fall away. Yet according to you Sturrock was successful and Brown is not.

I am not having a go at Sturrock who did a great in stabilising the club. It is just the belittling of Brown's achievements I do not understand.
I don't think I suggested Brown was not successful. He has been. He's largely done an excellent job - albeit in somewhat rollercoaster fashion - and like I said (hi Tilly!) the two seasons in League 1 have been pretty good, especially with PB willing to be more expansive with the team's style of play rather than sticking with the clean-sheet-mentality nonsense that jeopardised our promotion.

Ultimately my stance is that had the Tilly era not happened PB's achievements would be appreciated more, and rightly so. But some of his decision-making has at times been so erratic and baffling that it sticks with fans, which hasn't helped his cause to get everyone on his side.

Wilder's record is extraordinary, especially given what he had to go through at Northampton, off the field.

Think he is a bit unique, though.

Wilder's record is extraordinary, especially given what he had to go through at Northampton, off the field.

Think he is a bit unique, though.

There certainly is only one Chris Wilder ............... unless you susbscribe to the cloning of people conspiracy that is going around Prittlewell and Westcliff ...........

Cloning. Now there's a plan.

We could clone a few of our valued players and sell them on secretly as duplicates.

All the time, still under our control and spell. Set-up to perform badly against us.

Sturrock kept the club alive and took us to Wembley for the first time. He did his bit in building a squad that may have fallen short under him but one that his successor could build on further. And Brown succeeded and well done to him. Sturrock also gave us Bilel Mohsni; the most unique and entertaining player I've ever had the privilege to watch and that's good enough for me. :smile:

Regarding Chris Wilder, he won two successive titles; I think Northampton had been in League 2 for five seasons so getting them out was a decent achievement. And Sheffield United had been languishing below their level for a few seasons (I think?) so Wilder achieving promotion so soon shouldn't be dismissed as inevitable.

I don't think I suggested Brown was not successful. He has been. He's largely done an excellent job - albeit in somewhat rollercoaster fashion - and like I said (hi Tilly!) the two seasons in League 1 have been pretty good, especially with PB willing to be more expansive with the team's style of play rather than sticking with the clean-sheet-mentality nonsense that jeopardised our promotion.

Ultimately my stance is that had the Tilly era not happened PB's achievements would be appreciated more, and rightly so. But some of his decision-making has at times been so erratic and baffling that it sticks with fans, which hasn't helped his cause to get everyone on his side.

Sturrock may have ultimately failed to deliver promotion but he gave PB a lovely platform to work from. Would PB have been as successful as Sturrock if he'd have taken over with four players at the club in July? Perhaps, perhaps not. Different types of managers, very different circumstances. There's always a temptation to be 'in the camp' of one or the other, but personally I feel they both deserve praise.

Really, in my opinion we haven't had a bad manager for almost 15 years. How many clubs can say that?

Cloning. Now there's a plan.

We could clone a few of our valued players and sell them on secretly as duplicates.

All the time, still under our control and spell. Set-up to perform badly against us.

I like it, this one definitely has legs. In fact if you clone them and add a few extra legs? Can you imagine an 8-legged Simon Cox? :unsure:

I like it, this one definitely has legs. In fact if you clone them and add a few extra legs? Can you imagine an 8-legged Simon Cox? :unsure:

I'm just relieved he's not called Simon Leg ...........................

Back