• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Confirmation of Coughlan and Evans!

Top news the fact that we have a coach on an off the field in that sense is great, an the added fact we now have the two goalkeepers we craved is great, things are getting better an better (thats without getting carried away guys) i think sturrock an co are doing a remarkable job in such a short space of time im very impressed.
Ron is still an nob in my eyes

Really can't see why we need 2 senior keepers in the current plight unless....
a) The Warchest is about to be unlocked and money will soon be no object
or
b) We've signed both as we haven't made a decision yet and one's "pre-contract" won't come to fruition.

if scenario a) does not occur I would respectfully suggest we use the extra £500/£750/£1,000 p/w to pay the milkman or someone.

So has Coughlan come in to be first choice centre half or will he be backup and a guide for the younger players?

Still not convinced!

Is it just me or did I think that it would just be a couple of days before Paul Sturrock & assistant would be able to sign REAL contracts at SUFC and according to Ron the transfer embargo was supposed to be lifted by now?

We still have no official manager and only about 4 players able to play a competitive match for us at the moment.

Once again Ron puts his spin on things( he really is hopeless with dates and timings), I still don't trust him and until the ink is dry on all these new contracts will not believe a word he says.

I hope I am wrong but past experiences of Ron lead me to the conclusion he is "leading us up the garden path" again.

Anyone know anything or have an alternative view that will lead me to believe otherwise?

Is it just me or did I think that it would just be a couple of days before Paul Sturrock & assistant would be able to sign REAL contracts at SUFC and according to Ron the transfer embargo was supposed to be lifted by now?

We still have no official manager and only about 4 players able to play a competitive match for us at the moment.

Once again Ron puts his spin on things( he really is hopeless with dates and timings), I still don't trust him and until the ink is dry on all these new contracts will not believe a word he says.

I hope I am wrong but past experiences of Ron lead me to the conclusion he is "leading us up the garden path" again.

Anyone know anything or have an alternative view that will lead me to believe otherwise?

It could be worse, you could be dead.

So has Coughlan come in to be first choice centre half or will he be backup and a guide for the younger players?

I have no idea - but would have thought he should be both? Wasn't he going to retire? logic says he wouldnt postpone retirement for a back up spot? additionally I would think as long as his legs are still up to it he'd be metaphorically a class above most of the rest of our defensive options

That is a valid point of view Pak66 .. however we don't really need a new thread for it so i've tucked it in with the new signings one .. hope thats ok with you

seriously you'd rather pay the milkman than have a reserve keeper?!

Yes - absolutely...we have Bentley to stick on the bench, To be fair I am making 2 assumptions here 1) that we still have Bentley and 2) that he at least knows which glove goes on which hand.

Any issues, keeper gets injured...emergency loan. thats what everyone else will be doing.

Spinner used to get done for pace occasionally too. We've desperately needed a big, experianced centre-half since he and Sodje left.

Ironically he'd have probably been a decent partner for Barrett.

Barrett use to get done for pace too.

Considering how slow he was, Spinner didn't often get beaten because his positioning and reading of the game was so good.

I'm not so concerned about Coughlan's lack of pace as Bilel looks to be quick. The key thing is to get players who can complement each other. Coughlan's experience, organisational ability and reading of the game with Bilel's pace and height looks good on paper.

Sturrock does have a real contract, what he hasn't done is signed his written contract. It's no big deal. Tilly didn't sign one for something like 9 months.

In the real world things rarely get completed on time. Deadlines slip the whole time. For those homeowners amongst you, how many of you purchased your house with no delays? Just think how drawnout that whole process was, then times it by at least a hundred.

Considering how slow he was, Spinner didn't often get beaten because his positioning and reading of the game was so good.

I'm not so concerned about Coughlan's lack of pace as Bilel looks to be quick. The key thing is to get players who can complement each other. Coughlan's experience, organisational ability and reading of the game with Bilel's pace and height looks good on paper.

Sturrock does have a real contract, what he hasn't done is signed his written contract. It's no big deal. Tilly didn't sign one for something like 9 months.

In the real world things rarely get completed on time. Deadlines slip the whole time. For those homeowners amongst you, how many of you purchased your house with no delays? Just think how drawnout that whole process was, then times it by at least a hundred.

Errrr?...But you don't own your house until things are signed, until then it is speculation. A bit like SUFC until we know for fact.

I know there is NO pleasing some of these bone idle wallies on here, two is better than one any day an its Sainsburys paying out in the long run so?

I'm not bone idle or a wally....well maybe the idle bit.
I'm simply making a suggestion, to see what people think - clearly I now know what you think, but I'd be more interested in the opinion of people with a more of an open mind and perhaps finer tuned discussion skills.

Why pay a senior keeper to sit on the bench all season if you don't need to?

I knew I'd get a comment out of you by just mentioning Spinner :D

Indeed. I'd like to think that our legal bods have more pressing concerns right now, anyway.

Perhaps Sturrock and Widdrington cannot sign until the embargo is lifted either!?...

Pleased with both and Coughlans input into the coaching side. Cant help to have different ideas coming in, think its safe to say Tillys tactics had perhaps gone a bit stale. Coughlan scored 25 goals while at Plymouth so hopefully in this team the goals will be shared out a fair bit.

I think people are getting a bit too excited about Coughlan - I'm not convinced he'll get us out of league two.

Sorry if I've missed this elsewhere but who will be the number 1 - Evans or Morris?

Back