• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Confirmation of Coughlan and Evans!

Great news again on these signings. Any ideas on the next new faces coming in??? Only a couple of weeks to go for the new season. The players signed up seem to be the players we knew who were trailing over the last couple of weeks, Anyone spotted at the training ground or rumors of new trailists.

As I'm not local at the mo haven't seen any of these signings play yet but they seem to have impressed and I like the idea of experience Coughlan alongside seemingly impressive Bilel, and Evans sounds like a good signing.

Very happy with the signing of Rhys Evans, a very good goalkeeper who I think will be the number 1.

Not seen much of Coughlan, but he adds that experience we have been lacking since Sodje and Spinner left. Like the fact he is on the coaching staff as well, and will really help Bilel.

Reserve Team Coach???? do we have a reserve team???

Are those figures based on anything? sorry, not being disrespectful just that I would thought Coughlan would need to be offered a healthy wedge to come here,and would probably be the highest earner. But obviously don't want to make myself look like a piece of cheese if you have some snidey inside info :-)

Nah, no inside info. Just basing it on being less than what we paid the other guys. I very much doubt he is going to be on a lot, given our plight AND the wage cap in league 2. In fairness, now i know he has the coaching role as well, then yes, I'd put him in the higher bracket - but at the same time, with his career coming to and end (and he was going to retire anyway) why not take a comfortable rather than excessive wage and get a years experience coaching under sturrock for your troubles?

Nah, no inside info. Just basing it on being less than what we paid the other guys. I very much doubt he is going to be on a lot, given our plight AND the wage cap in league 2. In fairness, now i know he has the coaching role as well, then yes, I'd put him in the higher bracket - but at the same time, with his career coming to and end (and he was going to retire anyway) why not take a comfortable rather than excessive wage and get a years experience coaching under sturrock for your troubles?

Yes yes yes

but you know what happens when you sign old codgers like Spencer Prior or Shaun Goater, their heart won't be in it and there'll just be taking the club for a ride or something zzzzzzzzzzz

I'm not bone idle or a wally....well maybe the idle bit.
I'm simply making a suggestion, to see what people think - clearly I now know what you think, but I'd be more interested in the opinion of people with a more of an open mind and perhaps finer tuned discussion skills.

Why pay a senior keeper to sit on the bench all season if you don't need to?

For competition....

For competition....

True, but with a smaller budget, the wages spent on one of either Morris or Evans could have been used on an outfield player, one of which we need more than a back-up goalkeeper. A goalkeeper is less likely to get injured or banned than an outfield player so a back-up of equal quality and calibre is arguably unnecessary, and one of those 2 guys is going to become unhappy due to his lack of first team football and that could disrupt squad harmony.

Reserve Team Coach???? do we have a reserve team???

Are those figures based on anything? sorry, not being disrespectful just that I would thought Coughlan would need to be offered a healthy wedge to come here,and would probably be the highest earner. But obviously don't want to make myself look like a piece of cheese if you have some snidey inside info :-)

Paul Sturrock said that he wants at least a 22 man squad consisting of two players or more for every position. By the speed in which he is signing players, we will have enough for a reserve team sooner rather than later. Don't forget a few youths usually play in the reserves as well.

If we don't come out of the embargo and are restricted to 20 players (both huge pieces of speculation) then we may struggle to get dispensation to bring in an emergency keeper if we were to need one.

Watched the vids of both on Blues World. Must say that was impressed, despite the predictable questionning they gave reasonably interesting answers, spoke with authority and seemed like pleasant, genuine and enthusiastic blokes.

Not seen them play (bar Coughlan at Argyle a few years back) so crucially no idea re their footie availability but am impressed at least in what I have seen of them as people, and that counts.

Is it just me or did I think that it would just be a couple of days before Paul Sturrock & assistant would be able to sign REAL contracts at SUFC and according to Ron the transfer embargo was supposed to be lifted by now?

We still have no official manager and only about 4 players able to play a competitive match for us at the moment.

Once again Ron puts his spin on things( he really is hopeless with dates and timings), I still don't trust him and until the ink is dry on all these new contracts will not believe a word he says.

I hope I am wrong but past experiences of Ron lead me to the conclusion he is "leading us up the garden path" again.

Anyone know anything or have an alternative view that will lead me to believe otherwise?

Welcome to the zone,

Fully with you. I am delighted with the signings on paper but they arent really signings until the embargo is lifted. Even then I am going to be worrying the whole time that we go bust half way though the season or dont pay the players etc.

Paul Sturrock said that he wants at least a 22 man squad consisting of two players or more for every position. By the speed in which he is signing players, we will have enough for a reserve team sooner rather than later. Don't forget a few youths usually play in the reserves as well.

Thought I read somewhere that we'd withdrawn from the reserve league? might be getting confused though...If memory serves me correctly it was as we were struggling to put teams together last season with the small squad. Would be somewhat ironic if we now end up with a squad of 22 senior players and no reserve fixtures.

Thought I read somewhere that we'd withdrawn from the reserve league? might be getting confused though...If memory serves me correctly it was as we were struggling to put teams together last season with the small squad. Would be somewhat ironic if we now end up with a squad of 22 senior players and no reserve fixtures.

Sturrock successfully applied for us to be reinstated in the Reserves League.

True, but with a smaller budget, the wages spent on one of either Morris or Evans could have been used on an outfield player, one of which we need more than a back-up goalkeeper. A goalkeeper is less likely to get injured or banned than an outfield player so a back-up of equal quality and calibre is arguably unnecessary, and one of those 2 guys is going to become unhappy due to his lack of first team football and that could disrupt squad harmony.

We have a smaller budget but have released 4 players on £2000+ a week and replaced them with far more affordable players.

Its personal choice but Id never rely on one keeper, all it takes is a twisted finger in training or a red card and you have an 18 year old in goal, and I dont want to rely on someone with nil experience in league games.

Emergency keepers are all well and good but Id rather have someone who already knows the defence etc.

Its not like we will have to sacrifice an outfield player by the amount and type we are getting in.

Back