• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Can't agree with that last bit, we were on the back foot certainly but not spent. Hunt looked out of it at the end but he hasn't had a proper pre-season. Otherwise I thought we looked very fit.

Those i noticed more then others was worrall was struggling, and hunt seemd to be walking very gingerly at full time. Maybe it was being on the back foot made it seem like as a whole the team was struggling

Those i noticed more then others was worrall was struggling, and hunt seemd to be walking very gingerly at full time. Maybe it was being on the back foot made it seem like as a whole the team was struggling

Blisters on his feet according to his 'blog'.

Blisters on his feet according to his 'blog'.

Blisters ? How do you get blisters in a football match?

Oh that'll explain it, need to stand more evenly.

Best give my ratings now:

Bentley - 9 Just for his second half alone, like i said before couldve been 4/5 down if it wasnt for him, really impressed with his confidence in himself when it come to the penalty. If anything puts him in the window for a move today then it was last night. Couldnt have asked for more ffrom him if it does turn out to be his last game for us.

White - 6 Really struggled for me, espiecially in the second half when the team was struggling as a whole. Needed to keep a cool head when he was getting frustrated ( although the referee had a lot to answer for). Wouldnt say it was a disaster or he cost us anything, but will need to more alert in future

Rea - 7.5 impressed me big time, looked calm and confident on the ball and like he wanted to play it out from the back not just hoof it away. A couple of great challenges and one espiecially right infront of goal that impressed.

Barrett - 7 as solid as ever, and didnt look like his fitness was dying away like it has done in a couple of games this yeat.

Coker - 7 Same as barrett really, done well and looked solid

Worrall - 6.5 fairly quite game from him i think, done what he needed to do but nothing spectacular, looked a tad shattered towards the latter stages.

lenny & timlin - 7 both done well, nothing that stands out apart from lennys fluffed effort which he had time to take a touch and smash home, 9 times out of 10 he wouldve stuck that away. Other then that both done their jobs superbly

atkinson - 6.5 didnt notice him much tbh, and cant think of anything he did wrong or anything that stands out as special.

Hunt - 8 Good performance from him, and a goal! Nice to see him giving Mooney a dig when he was wrecklessly sliding into challenges, think he will keep the players in check with his experience.

Mooney - 8 Same as hunt, good performace good effort, and they both looked dangerous throughout.

All subs where pretty anominous imo, weston was marked out the game and kept under wraps, McLaughlin didnt really threaten and seemed to lose the ball whenever it come to him. I cant remember anything from Wordsworth atall so shows not much come from him - 6 all round

Overall a crap journey, crap weather, decent stadium, and very good crowd (from us) To top it all off 2 goals and a hard earnt point against one of the better teams in this division.

The only team who has truly had the better of us so far this season are the team who sit top of the table and are unbeaton, so things look good from where i am.

Oddly, and I know you may need to sit down to hear this, but just because you disagree with a point it does not automatically make it B*** S***.
Yes, if Coventry had any gumption, they would have tried to attack as much as they could in the second half but they also did that in the first half but were found wanting.
Yes they put another guy up front and the immediate idea from Brown is that we need to have an extra middle man to nullify there two pronged attack and stifle their midfield. Obversely he could have realised that they could not contain us when they had the extra man in midfield for the first half so why should they be able to with a mid less in the second half?
PB likes clean sheets. They are gold dust for us in this division and the only way to be sure of taking any part of the spoils is to score goals. Not gung-ho but not restrained either.
We cannot, as a team, rely on DB to save our bacon and be happy about it. he can't do it every game and what if he were to leave? What is PB's plan B then?
We have moved up a league and for my money have significantly improved the personnel but are adopting exactly the same tactics as last season and I'm afraid that is not good enough.

When the subs were made they were already on top and had missed the penalty. They were more than containing us at that stage. With players fading, Mooney Hunt and Worrall plus players on yellow cards it was right to make the changes.

We had a very attacking bench, despite your every post whinge at PB. Weston for all his faults last night, sprinted past Hunt and created our best chance of the later stages. McLaughlin could have done a lot better too but you certainly would not say bringing him on for a fading Worrall is a negative tactic. Unless of course you always find something negative about the man who made you look a fool last season:winking:

When the subs were made they were already on top and had missed the penalty. They were more than containing us at that stage. With players fading, Mooney Hunt and Worrall plus players on yellow cards it was right to make the changes.

We had a very attacking bench, despite your every post whinge at PB. Weston for all his faults last night, sprinted past Hunt and created our best chance of the later stages. McLaughlin could have done a lot better too but you certainly would not say bringing him on for a fading Worrall is a negative tactic. Unless of course you always find something negative about the man who made you look a fool last season:winking:

The team achieved last season despite him. You can put the rose tinted glasses on all you like but your arguments hold little water. Hunt faded but stayed on and I am glad as he is class. Pigott should have come on for Mooney. gaining one point to lose two is not a great bargain. If we push more for a win we only have to manage it once in every three games to get three points. Playing for the draw will not always come off and so how many games does it take to make the three points? Well five on current form.

The team achieved last season despite him. You can put the rose tinted glasses on all you like but your arguments hold little water. Hunt faded but stayed on and I am glad as he is class. Pigott should have come on for Mooney. gaining one point to lose two is not a great bargain. If we push more for a win we only have to manage it once in every three games to get three points. Playing for the draw will not always come off and so how many games does it take to make the three points? Well five on current form.

Did you actually go to the game yesterday?

Blisters ? How do you get blisters in a football match?

Being as a load of them cut the feet off their (brand new) socks and wear them over their preferred (cushioned) socks, there should be no excuse for blisters!!! Check on how many of them wear cut off socks each game, our sock bill must be astronomical!

Being as a load of them cut the feet off their (brand new) socks and wear them over their preferred (cushioned) socks, there should be no excuse for blisters!!! Check on how many of them wear cut off socks each game, our sock bill must be astronomical!
cant believe that isn't a club fine

Starting to recover from yesterday's game, here are my thoughts:

- Front two linked up really well, and you can tell that 4-4-2 suited us far better than our previous 4-3-3/4-5-1/operation isolate striker :winking:. I pray that we continue with 4-4-2 in the future, as you could clearly see the benefits last night. Also Mooney has been slated a number of times on here and at the game for his poor performances - last night I thought he put in a fantastic performance. Again, it shows exactly what we can achieve when we've got someone up top with him.
- We scored 2 goals against a very good side in Coventry. I have no doubts Coventry will be up there challenging for a top 6 spot and promotion at the end of the season, and I thought we more than matched them on many occasions, and that's very pleasing to see.
- Set pieces are my biggest worry. 2 goals last night all from set pieces. We've not been able to defend these properly for years now, and it's quite concerning. Both of Coventry's goals could have been dealt with a lot better, and it's frustrating as I felt that the performance we put in last night was worthy of a win.
- Bentley's penalty save was top class. He pulled off so many fantastic stops yesterday to keep us in the game, and I really hope that he remains put at Southend for now as he's a real asset to the team, and I hope Brown gets him signed up on a new contract also, as we cannot afford to lose him at the end of this contract.
- The travelling 800+ supporters were absolutely quality throughout. From start to finish, no matter if we was winning, drawing or losing, the away fans didn't stop singing and from the highlights all you can hear are the Southend fans singing. For a Monday night mid-week game, that's absolutely fantastic support and long may it continue this season.

gaining one point away to a team hardly anyone would expect us to get anything off of. Id say that's a good deal. We didn't set up for a draw, after going in the lead we set up to hold it. Unfortunately they equalised.

gaining one point away to a team hardly anyone would expect us to get anything off of. Id say that's a good deal. We didn't set up for a draw, after going in the lead we set up to hold it. Unfortunately they equalised.

Best form of defence is to attack !

Sitting back praying your keeper puts in a wonder show is slightly potty.

There is no way we played for a draw last night.

Even putting Weston on (whether people think he is any good or not) isnt a defensive move.

You accuse people of being rose tinted but you seem unwilling to accept anything but your own negative perception on anything regarding Phil Brown.

Best form of defence is to attack !

Sitting back praying your keeper puts in a wonder show is slightly potty.

Which we never do.

Just because he was called into action last night doesnt mean that was a plan of Phil Browns. Bizarre comment.

There is no way we played for a draw last night.

Even putting Weston on (whether people think he is any good or not) isnt a defensive move.
You accuse people of being rose tinted but you seem unwilling to accept anything but your own negative perception on anything regarding Phil Brown.

Which we never do.

Just because he was called into action last night doesnt mean that was a plan of Phil Browns. Bizarre comment.

No way we played for a point last night. Did well to get away with a point, maybe. But he played 2 up front, 2 in centre mid, plus took off Atkinson and brought on McLaughlin - that's very adventurous by PB standards and we have 2 years of experience to prove that point. It's also worth noting that whilst I enjoyed last night, we looked more uncertain at the back than we do normally - but that's a reflection of the same thing. You can't have everything.

I found a match report from a Coventry fan and it appears to be a pretty balanced report of the proceedings. Certainly what I heard on the radio and have read on here already has resonance in this report:

https://mattyroper.wordpress.com/2015/08/31/coventry-city-2-2-southend-united/

Well spotted. Fairly accurate apart from the first half penalty shout, which should have been a yellow for Murphy.

What is amazing is that this blogger and Tony Mowbray have both pointed out our strengths and praised us. But we allow some trolls (some haven't even attended) to cloud the genuine supporters reports.

Note to moderators....In future anyone posting on the match reports should first state whether they were actually at the match and where they sat

Back