• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I found a match report from a Coventry fan and it appears to be a pretty balanced report of the proceedings. Certainly what I heard on the radio and have read on here already has resonance in this report:

https://mattyroper.wordpress.com/2015/08/31/coventry-city-2-2-southend-united/

Fair report mostly, apart from Murphy's obvious dive, and the corner that never was.

Had a little snigger at the "home fans vocal support" they were largely quiet from where I was standing....until they scored, whereas away support was constant throughout.

Just found some other match highlights which are slightly longer. Look on youtube for the 3:38 minute version. Note how well Noel Hunt does creating every Southend chance in the first half including the lead-up to the penalty. They have also missed our best, Hunt created , second half chances.

Proves that when a player stays on his feet it often produces a better chance than the 'coached dive' and resulting free kick. I know its about opinions but some on here gave Hunt and Mooney the same marks. Whilst I was more than pleased with Mooney, I'm sure you will agree that that Hunt had an outstanding game and it puts an end to the myth that we failed to attack.

Best form of defence is to attack !

Sitting back praying your keeper puts in a wonder show is slightly potty.

yes, because before they come out for the second half PB said "relax lads, let dan deal with everything for this half" Come on, be realistic... No teams going to sit back and rely on their keeper. Obviously every team prays their keeper has a wonder show, we just have a keeper capable of it.

Excellent performance, credit to Brown he let the players express themselves. We are never going to dominate for 90 minutes against the likes of Coventry.

Same old crap being spouted by the usual (2) suspects.

2 goals away from home is another big improvement, last 2 games have proved we can compete in this league.

Actually looking forward to the next few games as we are gonna spank someone soon.

Well spotted. Fairly accurate apart from the first half penalty shout, which should have been a yellow for Murphy.

What is amazing is that this blogger and Tony Mowbray have both pointed out our strengths and praised us. But we allow some trolls (some haven't even attended) to cloud the genuine supporters reports.

Note to moderators....In future anyone posting on the match reports should first state whether they were actually at the match and where they sat

phew. i'm glad we've got someone like you to tell everyone what they should do on here.

And if they don't go to a game and repeat what they heard by a commentator in snippets? that is not balanced or an opinion of the poster him/her self but hearsay of very little merit AND I am surprised that some posters who usually put welcome and sensible, individual posts have sunk to do that. Paul Clark may have spoke of JW for, at most, several minutes on air, on major points in play but he can not give a 360 degree, 96 minute talk on what every player is doing can he. So for me i would say "thanks but no thanks" to the "heard it on the radio" Donna Summer posts.

Well said. This guy is a sniping attention seeker in my opinion.

Note to moderators....In future anyone posting on the match reports should first state whether they were actually at the match and where they sat

First game I've been able to get to this season. I was sat just to the left of the goal from our end about six rows up. It was a great vantage point for being utterly blown away by Noel Hunt and for seeing his passion after he scored. I'd never seen him play before and the man's never say die spirit and positioning of his body between defender and ball were hugely impressive. His great tenacity also led to us gaining possession before the penalty award for our second. That level of commitment can be inspirational to other players too. I just hope that he can stay injury and red-card free as his action game could result in situations where the ref might rule against him.

Dan Bentley's world-class performance obviously merits the accolades already provided on this thread and I'm delighted that he will remain "Southend Southend's Number One" for a few months more. The response of the players to Dan's penalty save and the last gasp near post shot was great to see - they showed him their appreciation of his brilliant saves and that spirit we had at the death last season still seems to be there, thankfully.

Coventry are a tidy passing side and I think they'll be there or thereabouts by the end of the season. I was watching Ricketts just before he scored his header and he slipped away from Noel en route to glancing it beyond Dan. The goal was coming and I think we did well to get a share of the points in the end. It was a cracking game and great to see/hear so many of you lot. Loved the chant of "Your ground's too big for you ..." too.

First game I've been able to get to this season. I was sat just to the left of the goal from our end about six rows up. It was a great vantage point for being utterly blown away by Noel Hunt and for seeing his passion after he scored. I'd never seen him play before and the man's never say die spirit and positioning of his body between defender and ball were hugely impressive. His great tenacity also led to us gaining possession before the penalty award for our second. That level of commitment can be inspirational to other players too. I just hope that he can stay injury and red-card free as his action game could result in situations where the ref might rule against him.

Dan Bentley's world-class performance obviously merits the accolades already provided on this thread and I'm delighted that he will remain "Southend Southend's Number One" for a few months more. The response of the players to Dan's penalty save and the last gasp near post shot was great to see - they showed him their appreciation of his brilliant saves and that spirit we had at the death last season still seems to be there, thankfully.

Coventry are a tidy passing side and I think they'll be there or thereabouts by the end of the season. I was watching Ricketts just before he scored his header and he slipped away from Noel en route to glancing it beyond Dan. The goal was coming and I think we did well to get a share of the points in the end. It was a cracking game and great to see/hear so many of you lot. Loved the chant of "Your ground's too big for you ..." too.

As you rightly say...That level of commitment is inspirational and I'll add, not just for players. Certainly made me think a drive to Coventry in the rain was well worth it. I might even think about Crewe.

The ref v Brighton ruled against Hunt when he strongly shielded the ball and turned the defender who booted him causing the injury that side-lined him. Hunt would have been through on goal and instead they had a free kick. As I said earlier the ref handled the game well on Monday. The fact that Hunt never dived or complained (like a former striker) early doors meant the ref gave him some slack.

Now that you have seen him play. You can understand my frustration with people who side with the trolls, who smugly rejoiced in his injury, as this allowed them to dig PB. If as you suspect, the ref does rule against Hunt lets make sure all of us in the crowd let him know. lets not leave it to the team.

Haven't seen him yet myself but reading all these acolades makes me think he could be a great signing, certainly one i'm looking forward to watching this season. Sounds every inch a Brown player (cue the "witty" responses)

Haven't seen him yet myself but reading all these acolades makes me think he could be a great signing, certainly one i'm looking forward to watching this season. Sounds every inch a Brown player (cue the "witty" responses)

Your wish is my command...........Good job he's not a BluesPlayer, he would be 45 seconds behind every game. Ok?

There is no way we played for a draw last night.

Even putting Weston on (whether people think he is any good or not) isnt a defensive move.

You accuse people of being rose tinted but you seem unwilling to accept anything but your own negative perception on anything regarding Phil Brown.
I had not said we set out for a draw. I said once ahead, come second half, he played out to hold on to what we had. That early in a game, away to a good side, is inviting the opposition to take the game.
My draw comment was in reference to many games we have played in the last couple of seasons and any team that is set up to be tight at the back and with no clue up front is looking at a draw.
We have players now that can hurt teams and in the first half against Coventry they did. Why stop?
You said Weston is not defensive. In truth he is. He plays up front, did help at Wembley, but by and large he runs around with the ball taking up time but does not pose a goal threat. If he is not a goal threat, but has the ball, that is as good as a defensive move down by the corner flag to see out a game. Whether you want/will challenge that point is academic. To remove a greater goal threat for Weston is, if not defensive, negative and poor.

Even putting Weston on (whether people think he is any good or not) isnt a defensive move.

You accuse people of being rose tinted but you seem unwilling to accept anything but your own negative perception on anything regarding Phil Brown.
I had not said we set out for a draw. I said once ahead, come second half, he played out to hold on to what we had. That early in a game, away to a good side, is inviting the opposition to take the game.
My draw comment was in reference to many games we have played in the last couple of seasons and any team that is set up to be tight at the back and with no clue up front is looking at a draw.
We have players now that can hurt teams and in the first half against Coventry they did. Why stop?
You said Weston is not defensive. In truth he is. He plays up front, did help at Wembley, but by and large he runs around with the ball taking up time but does not pose a goal threat. If he is not a goal threat, but has the ball, that is as good as a defensive move down by the corner flag to see out a game. Whether you want/will challenge that point is academic. To remove a greater goal threat for Weston is, if not defensive, negative and poor.

You obviously weren't at Coventry so 'Donna Summer' opinions ( see Massimo) don't count

You obviously weren't at Coventry so 'Donna Summer' opinions ( see Massimo) don't count

It is only your opinion that I was not there. If you were to respond purely to points I make then I would happily have a discussion with you but you always make it personal or accuse people of B*** S***. Oh yes, Rigsby the super fan. If you want to debate points fine. If not jog on.

It is only your opinion that I was not there. If you were to respond purely to points I make then I would happily have a discussion with you but you always make it personal or accuse people of B*** S***. Oh yes, Rigsby the super fan. If you want to debate points fine. If not jog on.

Why are you claiming that Weston run into the corner flag when in fact he overlapped Hunt and fired in a low cross which was well defended otherwise the Southend player who had also burst past Hunt from mid-field would have scored. this all happened in the last ten minutes. If your going to come on here and falsely claim you attended at least listen to the radio.
Waiting to jump in and agree with the first negative post is lazy trolling.

Why are you claiming that Weston run into the corner flag when in fact he overlapped Hunt and fired in a low cross which was well defended otherwise the Southend player who had also burst past Hunt from mid-field would have scored. this all happened in the last ten minutes. If your going to come on here and falsely claim you attended at least listen to the radio.
Waiting to jump in and agree with the first negative post is lazy trolling.

Perhaps you should read what I actually wrote. I never said he ran to the corner flag. I said he might as well have done for it uses up the time with the same level of pointlessness as Weston presents. He is an inferior option for goals than other players and apart from a couple of good cameo sub-roles he has done too little. One great cross at Wembley does not warrant continued use.

As you rightly say...That level of commitment is inspirational and I'll add, not just for players. Certainly made me think a drive to Coventry in the rain was well worth it. I might even think about Crewe.

The ref v Brighton ruled against Hunt when he strongly shielded the ball and turned the defender who booted him causing the injury that side-lined him. Hunt would have been through on goal and instead they had a free kick. As I said earlier the ref handled the game well on Monday. The fact that Hunt never dived or complained (like a former striker) early doors meant the ref gave him some slack.

Now that you have seen him play. You can understand my frustration with people who side with the trolls, who smugly rejoiced in his injury, as this allowed them to dig PB. If as you suspect, the ref does rule against Hunt lets make sure all of us in the crowd let him know. lets not leave it to the team.

Yes - what struck me about him is that he's a no fuss, fully committed and utterly honest player. He's a throwback to a different age in many ways and it's great to see. He must be a nightmare for a defender to have to play against when they know he'll be sliding in on them any second! As for the snipers, well we all have to deal with people with different opinions. I think anyone who was there could not have been other than impressed with Noel's performance. Sure, it's frustrating when people don't necessarily appreciate the less spectacular qualities in a player's game but there's not a lot you can do about that. The important thing is that PB does and that's obviously why he worked so hard to get him this Summer. And yes, the passion that Noel put out to the fans after both goals was a clear indication that this is a man who cares about his and the team's game. I'm looking forward to seeing him again soon - though it'll be via the box until later this month as living near Land's End, every game's a bit of a challenge!

Yes - what struck me about him is that he's a no fuss, fully committed and utterly honest player. He's a throwback to a different age in many ways and it's great to see. He must be a nightmare for a defender to have to play against when they know he'll be sliding in on them any second! As for the snipers, well we all have to deal with people with different opinions. I think anyone who was there could not have been other than impressed with Noel's performance. Sure, it's frustrating when people don't necessarily appreciate the less spectacular qualities in a player's game but there's not a lot you can do about that. The important thing is that PB does and that's obviously why he worked so hard to get him this Summer. And yes, the passion that Noel put out to the fans after both goals was a clear indication that this is a man who cares about his and the team's game. I'm looking forward to seeing him again soon - though it'll be via the box until later this month as living near Land's End, every game's a bit of a challenge!

Noel is a class act and I only hope he will stay fit. When we originally signed him I thought he would be a goal maker. He will be and at this level I think he will score a good ratio too. One of the best signings we have made in a long time.

Guys on bbc coventry saying sky blues have to get used to sides like Southend who play a much more physical game, is that another way of saying we are dirty side.

Coventry are the dirty side! Their number 5, Reda Johnson spent the whole match pushing. holding and shirt pulling our players. How the lino didn't see I do not know. We were defending a corner in the second half and he had Barrett in an armlock round his head. The ref did see that one.

Coventry did play some pretty football, but then so did we at times, and if Leonard had been a bit more decisive then we would have been one nil up. A great save from Bentley from the penalty.

Back