• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Euro 2016

I'm amazed Southgate hasn't done more as a manager, when analysing he always gets it spot on IMO. His half time analysis hit the nail on the head, we were trying to play through them and not knocking balls in behind to create space for the midfield. Rooney was basically playing as a third striker which meant Vardy got no space and was anonymous. No point playing him if we don't play to his strengths.

I'm amazed Southgate hasn't done more as a manager, when analysing he always gets it spot on IMO. His half time analysis hit the nail on the head, we were trying to play through them and not knocking balls in behind to create space for the midfield. Rooney was basically playing as a third striker which meant Vardy got no space and was anonymous. No point playing him if we don't play to his strengths.

I think he's doing a great job at slowly learning and developing - his work with the U21s has been excellent.

I think he's doing a great job at slowly learning and developing - his work with the U21s has been excellent.

Yeah I suppose it's a bit of a rebuild job after been thrown straight in at the deep end with Middlesborough. Think there is a really good manager there, knows the game and articulates his points brilliantly.

Yeah I suppose it's a bit of a rebuild job after been thrown straight in at the deep end with Middlesborough. Think there is a really good manager there, knows the game and articulates his points brilliantly.

I think he turned down some of the more strategic player development FA roles as well which is probably a bad thing for the FA but a good thing for him.

I didn't think we were quite as bad as some people made out. Yes we were pretty toothless, but the defence was relatively solid and Walker (especially) and Rose seem to have settled into the full back spots. Vardy/Rooney/Kane needs some time and I'd be tempted to keep Vardy on the bench, but the options we have to start and on the bench are flexible and exciting and I think Roy has been able to see enough from the friendlies to have us set up and ready for Russia.

I didn't think we were quite as bad as some people made out. Yes we were pretty toothless, but the defence was relatively solid and Walker (especially) and Rose seem to have settled into the full back spots. Vardy/Rooney/Kane needs some time and I'd be tempted to keep Vardy on the bench, but the options we have to start and on the bench are flexible and exciting and I think Roy has been able to see enough from the friendlies to have us set up and ready for Russia.

Totally agree. I'm more excited about this England squad than the 'Golden Generation' of a few years back.

I had the rare chance to see the 'excitement' first hand last night at Wembley and, as most of us know from Roots Hall, you do get to see different aspects of the game. For me, a couple of things stood out:

James Milner does not stop running. Ever. He's simply always on the move, always looking to receive the ball, always harrying an opposition player. He gives us something solid while still allowing us to attack (like Carl Pettifer - yeah, okay, I know) and he also has impressive stats in terms of assists. But I don't see him working in the diamond against a team sitting back. The odd thing is, Milner will be better for England against a high-energy team looking to hurt us, but if we're playing a side prepared to sit back, we need more creativity in the side.

In a similar vein, while our fullbacks do have the capability of bursting forward which you need to support a diamond, our centre-backs don't seem to have a creative thought between them. Chris Smalling (Mike to his friends) gives us something in the box at free kicks (as he proved last night) and he's probably our most stable defender, but I'd have Stones in there in place of Cahill every day of the week. The game pretty much ground to a halt every time Smalling and/or Cahill got into possession with each just looking to play it to the other every time. It was slow and predictable and we almost paid for it a couple of times. Stones I feel gives us something different.

Wayne Rooney is the Daddy, the unquestionable fulcrum of the team. Full of running, always wanting the ball and he still has a turn-of-pace that surprised me. He's a bit more high-power diesel than unleaded petrol these days but the initial acceleration is still there and he uses it well. Owns the captaincy really well and leads the team superbly.

Jack Wilshere is a touch of class and how I envy Arsenal fans who get to watch that level of talent every week. A truly exceptional player and I laud Hodgson for having the courage to accommodate him after his injury layoff.

Harry Kane is stronger and more physical than I'd realised.

I had the rare chance to see the 'excitement' first hand last night at Wembley and, as most of us know from Roots Hall, you do get to see different aspects of the game. For me, a couple of things stood out:

James Milner does not stop running. Ever. He's simply always on the move, always looking to receive the ball, always harrying an opposition player. He gives us something solid while still allowing us to attack (like Carl Pettifer - yeah, okay, I know) and he also has impressive stats in terms of assists. But I don't see him working in the diamond against a team sitting back. The odd thing is, Milner will be better for England against a high-energy team looking to hurt us, but if we're playing a side prepared to sit back, we need more creativity in the side.

In a similar vein, while our fullbacks do have the capability of bursting forward which you need to support a diamond, our centre-backs don't seem to have a creative thought between them. Chris Smalling (Mike to his friends) gives us something in the box at free kicks (as he proved last night) and he's probably our most stable defender, but I'd have Stones in there in place of Cahill every day of the week. The game pretty much ground to a halt every time Smalling and/or Cahill got into possession with each just looking to play it to the other every time. It was slow and predictable and we almost paid for it a couple of times. Stones I feel gives us something different.

Wayne Rooney is the Daddy, the unquestionable fulcrum of the team. Full of running, always wanting the ball and he still has a turn-of-pace that surprised me. He's a bit more high-power diesel than unleaded petrol these days but the initial acceleration is still there and he uses it well. Owns the captaincy really well and leads the team superbly.

Jack Wilshere is a touch of class and how I envy Arsenal fans who get to watch that level of talent every week. A truly exceptional player and I laud Hodgson for having the courage to accommodate him after his injury layoff.

James Milner is unspectacular but like you sayhe does put in a shift which is why he is always in the England squad andalways at a top club. I’ve got no problem with him playing as we have to selectthe side with a clear plan and not shoe horn all the exciting players in andplay them out of position because that never works and has been a massiveproblem for England over the years. Play players like they are played at theirclubs.

I get your point to an extent with the centrebacks but I really see a Smalling Stones partnership as a disaster waiting tohappen. I think the experience of Cahill keeps the back four functional, thinkthat the positioning of Smalling and Stones together would leave us vulnerable.We would play out from the back better though.

He did look good last night but it was detrimentto Kane and Vardy who were both forced out wide by his advanced centralposition. Kane and Vardy need to be central and close to each other. Anyone atthe tip of the diamond needs to be behind them. Rooney was good but not so goodthat him nullifying the threat of Kane and Vardy is worthwhile. If Roy wants toplay him it has to be in the front two or he has to sit further back.

Totally agree on Wilshere, he had to be in thesquad.

They don't, that's the point! :winking:

I'm looking forward to seeing some good football on late night Spanish TV in the next few weeks...............................in the Copa América.

Please stop the trolling. It is becoming increasingly tiresome.

If you want to start a thread about the Copa América, please be our guest.

I didn't think we were quite as bad as some people made out. Yes we were pretty toothless, but the defence was relatively solid and Walker (especially) and Rose seem to have settled into the full back spots.

Interesting how Walker appears to have taken the number 2 shirt off of Clyne. The latter seemed a certainty to start at right back only a few months ago.

Some interesting stats here on Stones http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36435587

Pretty much on an even par with the very best in World. Also conceded 1/4 of the free kicks(1 in every 2.8 games) that Smalling has and has a pass success rate of nearly 89%. In one on ones no English defender even comes close and only Cahill has a higher tackles won percentage. Added to that has made more blocks than both Cahill and Smalling, food for thought perhaps.

I'd be suprised to see Vardy starting upfront with Kane again in France unless we're chasing a game.

Certainly agree about Rooney.Even at his reduced level these days, he's still the only world class player England have.

Would also tend to agree about Milner but to a much lesser extent.He's in the side because of his experience.Despite his limited ability he's a useful team player.

Until we actually get to the tournament and he will become largely anonymous as per usual.

Rooney was class last night and is definitely in form (and I think has a point to prove) but he's not the only 'World Class' player in the squad.

Back