• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Euro 2016

Think you'll find the article is relevant to the tournament.

The article is scaremongering propaganda perpetuated by a State Department with a vested interest in keeping the American public as paranoid as possible. It isn't even news as the headline says "could be" a target. Brilliant. How insightful.

I'd prefer Townsend as we're short of wingers and he's likely to come up with a belter from deep. I like Sturridge when he's fit and mentally on it but what are the odds on that? Since the last World Cup, he's probably missed more games than he's played. And I can't remember him playing much for England in that time either.

He's played 17 times for England, so he's actually played quite a few games but has done little with it.

Or a Liverpool player as that's otherwise described.

Agree with you on Townsend. He gets bonus marks for being better for England than for his club as well.

Agree with the comments above, it never seems to work taking players making their way back from injury. Too many strikers, too many 'number 10s' and one winger. Roy is making the classic mistake of selecting what he sees as his best players and then fitting a system around them, and not the other way round.

It doesn't seem to work taking players who are knackered having played a full season either though!

I think too many are unfit, but my money would have been/is on Drinkwater and Vardy fading.

It would be handy if a couple of them turned into Darren Andertons who actually had a fairly decent international career despite always being injured at club level. I think it was Brazil who won the World Cup in 2002 when all their main men had been out all season, but the likes of Ronaldo turned up big (not that type of big) at the Finals.

Based on the last two matches I'd be leaning towards this as my starting XI

Hart
Walker Smalling Stones Bertrand
Dier Wilshire
Alli Rooney Sterling
Kane

Hart
Dier Wilshire
Alli Rooney Sterling
Kane

I've got the same front six but all three of the other defenders we're taking starting. I'm not sure how happy I'd be seeing John Stones starting Saturday week certainly.

Did you see Dier's OG the other day? Keep him away from the back four. He was moved from CB to Midfield this season at Spurs and had a blinder. Play him instead of sick note Wilshere, who will probably get injured getting off the team coach

I certainly did, but I think he is a better reader of the game than either Smalling or Stones and more skilful on the ball. I would start him in the opening game and see what happens. If he has a mare then fair enough, but if he performs as well as I think he could do, then it would give our back line a bit more poise and skill. I could of course be talking out of my arse, it has been known.

I've got the same front six but all three of the other defenders we're taking starting. I'm not sure how happy I'd be seeing John Stones starting Saturday week certainly.

I'd bet on Stones getting progressively better the longer he spends under Hodgson's tutelage, and the longer he's apart from Martinez'.

Happy enough with the 23. The only change I'd make is bringing in Drinkwater for Barkley. We're blessed with three perfectly legitimate players who'd play in the #10 before Barkley, but only have a hugely unfit Wilshere who could deputise in the #6. I'm even sort-of onboard with Milner's inclusion given the need for the 12 bench players to be versatile and multi-disciplined, and Milner's a reliable performer for Hodgson.

Townsend's omission aside, Hodgson appears to be loading the deck with potential game-changers. Vardy, Sterling, Rashford and Barkley are all players capable of being chucked on when we're in need of a bit of impetus. I'd say that's a good tactic to adopt in a tournament which only looks like being a tight affair.

He's played 17 times for England, so he's actually played quite a few games but has done little with it.

Or a Liverpool player as that's otherwise described.

Agree with you on Townsend. He gets bonus marks for being better for England than for his club as well.

It doesn't seem to work taking players who are knackered having played a full season either though!

I think too many are unfit, but my money would have been/is on Drinkwater and Vardy fading.

It would be handy if a couple of them turned into Darren Andertons who actually had a fairly decent international career despite always being injured at club level. I think it was Brazil who won the World Cup in 2002 when all their main men had been out all season, but the likes of Ronaldo turned up big (not that type of big) at the Finals.

Based on the last two matches I'd be leaning towards this as my starting XI

Hart
Dier Wilshire
Alli Rooney Sterling
Kane

I was referring to the amount of games that Sturridge has played for England since the last World Cup.

For what it's worth, my starting XI would be: Hart - Walker, Cahill, Smalling, Rose - Wilshere, Dier, Alli - Rooney - Vardy, Kane. And Subs:- Forster, Clyne, Milner, Sterling, Rashford.

It might be an age thing, but I've always wanted to see an England team packed with players totally comfortable on the ball and more intent on attacking the opposition than defending. I might just get my wish in this tournament. I've got to say that I'm getting excited by the squad selection and the fact that the tournament is fast approaching. Come on Engerland......

The article is scaremongering propaganda perpetuated by a State Department with a vested interest in keeping the American public as paranoid as possible. It isn't even news as the headline says "could be" a target. Brilliant. How insightful.

Security will obviously be a huge risk,unfortunately.There will be an expected 1 million visitors to France during the Euros. I sincerely hope nothing happens but it would be unwise to pretend that this is all just "propaganda" by the US.

Generally happy with that squad. Wouldn't have taken Barkley as we've got Alli and Rooney covering the ten position, but Hodgson's been bold with his selection which is good to see.

Like everyone else here, I'm worried about the defence but **** that. Let's just go out there and win every game 5-4.

Smalling and Stones together would be adisaster IMO, neither are great when it comes to positioning. Despite Cahillbeing slow I think we’d have a better functional unit with him in there. It isa weak area whatever though which really means we need a holding midfielder(Dier). I’d probably go:

Hart
Walker Cahill Smalling Rose
Dier
Wilshere Alli
Sterling
Vardy Kane

Vardy and Kane on form, I think a fully fitSturridge is better than both but don’t think he’s there.

What bothered me most about England's showing in 2014 was that we appeared to be terrified to have a go at the opposition. This squad doesn't seem to be set up to try and defend and then snatch the odd goal, which is greatly encouraging - we've never been any good at that.

What bothered me most about England's showing in 2014 was that we appeared to be terrified to have a go at the opposition. This squad doesn't seem to be set up to try and defend and then snatch the odd goal, which is greatly encouraging - we've never been any good at that.

This attacking potential is what I'm looking forward to too. I really don't want Roy to go all cautious though and play Milner, Henderson and Dier in midfield. I'd love the diamond of Dier (in front of the back four), Wilshere (right) and Alli (left) in the middle and Rooney up top behind the front two. Rooney has looked imperious in that role of late.

Right there with you Beefcakes! :-)

This attacking potential is what I'm looking forward to too. I really don't want Roy to go all cautious though and play Milner, Henderson and Dier in midfield. I'd love the diamond of Dier (in front of the back four), Wilshere (right) and Alli (left) in the middle and Rooney up top behind the front two. Rooney has looked imperious in that role of late.

Don't raise your hopes too high,gents.:winking:

Back