• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Gary Deegan signs 2 year deal

I reckon that this marathon before signing must have revolved round a two year deal rather than one. Is he worth it? This season will tell us I think. Lose the beard eh Gary.

We definately need a ball-winner. Deegan is a ball-winner. Gives the squad more depth and will be vital in some tough away games.

Cracking signing, some may think he is ok, but cracking... The players we have had over the years, come on.... You are winding us up.
PM me your address and i'll send you a complimentary Col Ewe season ticket, SUFC can do no right in your eyes so maybe it's time to move on ? #JustAsking

Maybe ok as a squad player. He works very hard and is a good tackler. On the downside, he never scores and he often gives the ball away in dangerous areas which is what led to Orients goal on Sunday.

Am I the only one who can't see the Maher comparison, for me Maher's number one attribute was calming things down and getting the ball on the deck when it was up in the air, he had a very good touch and a great composure on the ball. I don't see those qualities in Deegan. He is a very average footballer and I think those that see him as more than a spoiler are a little deluded.

We have loads of midfielders and are seriously lacking in defence and upfront. I would have rather us stalled on his contract than Thompson's. Glad it's a one year with option to two because I can see him struggling this season.

Am I the only one who can't see the Maher comparison, for me Maher's number one attribute was calming things down and getting the ball on the deck when it was up in the air, he had a very good touch and a great composure on the ball. I don't see those qualities in Deegan. He is a very average footballer and I think those that see him as more than a spoiler are a little deluded.
thank god, agree..agree

Positive move for me, He brings something different, Should settle in now that he's sorted for a couple of seasons.
See him steadily improving and developing into a consistent player for us. Well done Gary !

Midfield is a very diverse position. You have defensive, attacking, creative, combative, players that slow the game down etc so comparing MIDs because they play mid is difficult. Comparing Deegan to Payne and Maher is like comparing chalk and cheese. In the same way I don't think every game ideally suits Payne, or Timlin or Atkinson, the same applies to Deegan. At his type of game, I can't think of many better for us. Maybe butler but that was a while ago now. Right player for the right job.

His beard is worth a contract alone.

I like Deegan, and can see him playing more away from home, where we may pack out the midfield and try to nick a goal. Or if we are winning by a goal with 10 mins to go and the other team are all over us.

No you're not. I see few similarities between the two players.

Deegan will also pick up more cards against better players in League One, and bearing in mind he picked up 10 yellows and 1 red in just 26 appearances in League Two, this could be a problem.

Two years ? I hope he's cheap.

No you're not. I see few similarities between the two players.

Deegan will also pick up more cards against better players in League One, and bearing in mind he picked up 10 yellows and 1 red in just 26 appearances in League Two, this could be a problem.

Two years ? I hope he's cheap.

Global stats reported avarage earnings in L2 to be between 700 and 1100 PW League 1 is slightly above....... I hope he is a lot cheaper....as far as I understand there were no other clubs looking at him.

As I said before a good player to have in and around the squad. Has experience playing in different leagues and champions league qualifiers against teams from different nations playing different styles and tactics. Also has had success winning titles in Ireland, it's always good to have players who have felt the joy of winning titles around a squad. Does his job well and doesn't get the credit he deserves for it. Obviously won't be first choice week in week out, but a really good player to have on the books.

Good player and will get plenty of playing time. He will be better this season in a better league.

Happy with Deegan in the team, he did make mistakes last season, then again so did so many other players in midfield but too many supporters are busy spanking their monkeys over certain players to ever see their errors or mistakes let alone come on here and say that they played poor, always going to get a few that will never ever be happy with the signings that southend make.......judge during the season and not on a few pre-season games.....it's funny how I remember hearing the supporters chanting his name last season.........and now he is a bad signing FFS

Back