• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Another Gills fan in peace to help clear up the away end bit....

The Town/Gillingham End (crassly named the "Brian Moore Stand" by our Chairman in recent times - not the most fitting tribute to a commentating legend and former Gills fans and director) can take 3,400. Traditionally, the away fans took the right half and Gills fans the other half, with capacity reduced to around 1500-1600 for segregation.

However, in recent seasons, when the weather has been bad, we've always switched the away fans in to the under cover Gordon Road Stand to the left of the away end, but this is only possible for small away turnouts of about 100-400, i.e. all of them bar Millwall, Charlton, you (unfortunately for you), and possibly anyway chasing promotion come April). This makes all the moaning about the away stand from a lot of quarters a bit shallow - for example, Port Vale have excused their low turnouts at Priestfield on being in the ****** Town End, yet the last three times, they've been under cover in the Gordon Road Stand!)

In fact, this season, we moved the away fans to the left of the Town End with seats in the Gordon Road too, and since Christmas, given our increasingly bad form and attendances and the shocking away turnouts, the club have closed the Town End/Brian Moore Stand and just housed away fans in the corner of the Gordon Road Stand.

In short, this means the Town end will be completely free and you'll get the whole end, which should be up to around 2500-3000 with the bottom corners cordoned off for segregation.

The story behind the "temporary" Brian Moore Stand anyway is that we had to go all seater when we got in the Championship, but had plans to move, so the old terrace was flattened and a temporary stand hired. We have had plans to move for 20 years, but still have nothing definite, so the club purchased the temporary stand and just use that now in hope that we'll one day move. To be fair, as a Gills fan, given we average 6000-6500 out of a capacity of 115000 pretty much whether we're in League One or Two and about 20 of the 23 teams usually bring about 100-200, I'd sooner money is spent on the squad than a new stand to house a handful of away fans!

Also, re parking.... Best bet is to park off of one of the roads off of Albany Road or Maple Road (on the other side of the rail track) - google them. Best bet for pubs is to avoid Gillingham! If you're coming by train (and I believe there is engineering works on the High Speed) is to stop off at Rochester for beers (plenty of good pubs there). The pubs near the ground or Gillingham station are dog's ****, best bet is to have a wander to - google them - the Frog and Toad (not too far from the ground) or the Will Adams. If you're driving and coming by Jct 4 of the M2, you could try the Star or the Honourable Pilot on your left off of the A2 about a mile from the ground (nothing special, but big chain type pubs that have plenty of room and you'll be able to get served without too much wait) or if you're coming in via junction 1, there is the Sans Pareil before the Medway tunnel, or if you have more time, a couple of smashing pubs near the tunnel by the river in Upnor.

As for the match, we are a completely different team to the one you played earlier in the season and last season. We should have gone on with basically the same team as last season, plus some not cheap additions, and stormed a playoff place at least, but something went wrong (more in the head of the manager and players), and we have crashed. No team spirit, no fight, no clue. Our defence is woeful, keeper dodgy, the strikeforce couldn't score in a brothel and we have numerous injuries - new manager, same rubbish. Bradley Dack is back in form, to be fair, but that's all we've got going for us. The last time I saw you at Priestfield, you were very physical and direct and deserved a win - if you do that on Saturday you'll smash us. Wimbledon caused us all sorts of problems with that approach on Tuesday and they aren't good or in form!

Thank you to Man of Kent for his helpful advice. The first few times I went to Gillingham, we always had away supporters in the main stand!

Thank you to Man of Kent for his helpful advice. The first few times I went to Gillingham, we always had away supporters in the main stand!
Probably because like us, Gillingham were one of the last clubs to have proper segregation.
I can remember going there in 1983/4 and there was no segregation.

Another Gills fan in peace to help clear up the away end bit....

The Town/Gillingham End (crassly named the "Brian Moore Stand" by our Chairman in recent times - not the most fitting tribute to a commentating legend and former Gills fans and director) can take 3,400. Traditionally, the away fans took the right half and Gills fans the other half, with capacity reduced to around 1500-1600 for segregation.

However, in recent seasons, when the weather has been bad, we've always switched the away fans in to the under cover Gordon Road Stand to the left of the away end, but this is only possible for small away turnouts of about 100-400, i.e. all of them bar Millwall, Charlton, you (unfortunately for you), and possibly anyway chasing promotion come April). This makes all the moaning about the away stand from a lot of quarters a bit shallow - for example, Port Vale have excused their low turnouts at Priestfield on being in the ****** Town End, yet the last three times, they've been under cover in the Gordon Road Stand!)

In fact, this season, we moved the away fans to the left of the Town End with seats in the Gordon Road too, and since Christmas, given our increasingly bad form and attendances and the shocking away turnouts, the club have closed the Town End/Brian Moore Stand and just housed away fans in the corner of the Gordon Road Stand.

In short, this means the Town end will be completely free and you'll get the whole end, which should be up to around 2500-3000 with the bottom corners cordoned off for segregation.

The story behind the "temporary" Brian Moore Stand anyway is that we had to go all seater when we got in the Championship, but had plans to move, so the old terrace was flattened and a temporary stand hired. We have had plans to move for 20 years, but still have nothing definite, so the club purchased the temporary stand and just use that now in hope that we'll one day move. To be fair, as a Gills fan, given we average 6000-6500 out of a capacity of 115000 pretty much whether we're in League One or Two and about 20 of the 23 teams usually bring about 100-200, I'd sooner money is spent on the squad than a new stand to house a handful of away fans!

Also, re parking.... Best bet is to park off of one of the roads off of Albany Road or Maple Road (on the other side of the rail track) - google them. Best bet for pubs is to avoid Gillingham! If you're coming by train (and I believe there is engineering works on the High Speed) is to stop off at Rochester for beers (plenty of good pubs there). The pubs near the ground or Gillingham station are dog's ****, best bet is to have a wander to - google them - the Frog and Toad (not too far from the ground) or the Will Adams. If you're driving and coming by Jct 4 of the M2, you could try the Star or the Honourable Pilot on your left off of the A2 about a mile from the ground (nothing special, but big chain type pubs that have plenty of room and you'll be able to get served without too much wait) or if you're coming in via junction 1, there is the Sans Pareil before the Medway tunnel, or if you have more time, a couple of smashing pubs near the tunnel by the river in Upnor.

As for the match, we are a completely different team to the one you played earlier in the season and last season. We should have gone on with basically the same team as last season, plus some not cheap additions, and stormed a playoff place at least, but something went wrong (more in the head of the manager and players), and we have crashed. No team spirit, no fight, no clue. Our defence is woeful, keeper dodgy, the strikeforce couldn't score in a brothel and we have numerous injuries - new manager, same rubbish. Bradley Dack is back in form, to be fair, but that's all we've got going for us. The last time I saw you at Priestfield, you were very physical and direct and deserved a win - if you do that on Saturday you'll smash us. Wimbledon caused us all sorts of problems with that approach on Tuesday and they aren't good or in form!

Certain air of smugness emanating from Hampshire :whistling:

Can't attend as I'm working, however my son wants to go down, fair play to him :clap:....however, could the club, someone on SZ advise me of his chances of turning up on the day and getting in with the Shrimper boys and gals please?

Long way for a teenager to go solo and not get in :unsure:

Can't attend as I'm working, however my son wants to go down, fair play to him :clap:....however, could the club, someone on SZ advise me of his chances of turning up on the day and getting in with the Shrimper boys and gals please?

Long way for a teenager to go solo and not get in :unsure:
Tickets still available online. So that means we have not sold the initial 1,600 allocation yet. There will be tickets on the day as we have been given the whole end. He won't have any trouble getting in.

Over 1600 tickets now sold, will be great atmosphere in that open stand, hope it ain't as cold as it was a few years back at mk dons:'(

The last time I saw you at Priestfield, you were very physical and direct and deserved a win - if you do that on Saturday you'll smash us. Wimbledon caused us all sorts of problems with that approach on Tuesday and they aren't good or in form!

I don't think I would class the current Southend team as being "physical". However, our forwards and midfielders will not allow your players to dally on the ball ........... and in fact we have a couple of midfielders who know how to tackle. And a couple of central defenders who know how to use their size and strength to good effect - I call that good defending.

And that reminds me - I will have a look at the team that we put out on the first day of the season (in the lovely warm sun) and see what has changed.

This was the line up for 6th August (result was Southend 1 Gillingham 3) .........

Oxley
Demmy, White, Sokky, Coker
O'Neill, Leonard, King, McGlaughlin
Mooney, Cox

I would expect that only 4 of that 11 would be starting on Saturday. How things change eh?

Stats ;

Gillingham last kept a clean sheet at home 6 games ago.

In their last 20 away matches against teams positioned in the bottom half of the table, Southend have scored 1.9 goals per game and conceded 0.9 goals per game on average

In their last 20 away games against teams positioned in the bottom half of the table, Southend have won 13, drawn 3 and lost 4 of these matches.

This was the line up for 6th August (result was Southend 1 Gillingham 3) .........

Oxley
Demmy, White, Sokky, Coker
O'Neill, Leonard, King, McGlaughlin
Mooney, Cox

I would expect that only 4 of that 11 would be starting on Saturday. How things change eh?

It wasn't, the line up for the first game of the season was

Oxley

Demitrou Thompson Barrett Coker

McGlashan Atkinson Leonard McLaughlin

Mooney Cox

-

O'Neill, King & Williams came on

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=2393&teamTabs=results

I'm in Row Y upper, near the tipping point of falling over the edge!

was up there last year,

Take your ab-sailing kit, safety lines, warm hat and gloves, and like me, just dont jump up and down to much when we score one our many goals, i have been use to working on high scaffolds, but was not sure about this one. :smile:

I am down in BM, where ever that may be ?.

Snr.

Back