• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Will he stay or will he go?

• Brown will stay

Votes: 196 86.7%
  • Brown will resign

Votes: 27 11.9%
  • Brown will get sacked by RM

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters
Favourite gaffer is easy ...Steve Tilson!

Yep he signed a few duds,but he signed some fabulous players ,some of the football was breathtaking to watch.

Yet he oversaw two relegations as well.

At this level of football , no one is perfect and those who have no redeeming features are the ones who stick out as really poor (Calling Messrs Morris , Bates and Martin)

Yet he oversaw two relegations as well.

At this level of football , no one is perfect and those who have no redeeming features are the ones who stick out as really poor (Calling Messrs Morris , Bates and Martin)

You mean when we couldn't compete in the championship and when Ron stopped paying salaries.

Mrsblue. I've always loved you long time and (at times) stuck up for you but you are bloody annoying :'(

I think Tilly spoilt many of us.....football played on grass is a simple game...one two touch keeping it on the turf is beautiful to watch,however whacking long balls up to Ranger or whoever,isn't.

I think Tilly spoilt many of us.....football played on grass is a simple game...one two touch keeping it on the turf is beautiful to watch,however whacking long balls up to Ranger or whoever,isn't.

Id love to have you on grass and a little tadpole party :Worthy:

MrsBlue - these signings [now in conference] were all Loans and not one was a permanent signing for us.

I agree, that we should not sign "old geezers or duffers" But the some of the old geezers have made a good contribution to our team(s) (and one of them has recently won promotion to league one with Portsmouth after leaving us), and the duffers you refer to as playing conference football all had reasonable loan spells prior to us bringing them in and in the main these have been young and hungry players!!! - exactly what you have advocating in the past!!

Agreed they're not the best players but they're not playing in the conference as per your post.

Every manager throughout the football leagues sign players and regret it, that's football. Pogba for Man U (100m) in my eyes is a poor signing.

I bet if you were to tell us your favourite manager for Southend, we could list lots of poor signings.

Even the great Sir Alex Ferguson made mistakes. He paid £4.5m a lot of money back in 2000 for a goalkeeper called Massimo Taibi and he was an absolute calamity. He also paid £7m in 2010 for a Portuguese division 2 player who ended up a complete flop! And those are just 2 over his lengthy career as United manager. We could spend all day naming pants signings he's made.

It goes to show that even the best managers make the biggest mistakes. People always remember the **** signings ahead of the great ones.

MrsBlue - these signings [now in conference] were all Loans and not one was a permanent signing for us.

I agree, that we should not sign "old geezers or duffers" But the some of the old geezers have made a good contribution to our team(s) (and one of them has recently won promotion to league one with Portsmouth after leaving us), and the duffers you refer to as playing conference football all had reasonable loan spells prior to us bringing them in and in the main these have been young and hungry players!!! - exactly what you have advocating in the past!!

Last time I checked Hunt had hardly kicked a ball for Pompey !

Getting in loan players can be proper dodgy simply because those players understand they won't be staying here,are they giving 100% when selected,who knows.

Why not in the close season look at the targets you want to sign and if the salary is sensible sign them,why do we always wait at the last second before panic sets in.

Even the great Sir Alex Ferguson made mistakes. He paid £4.5m a lot of money back in 2000 for a goalkeeper called Massimo Taibi and he was an absolute calamity. He also paid £7m in 2010 for a Portuguese division 2 player who ended up a complete flop! And those are just 2 over his lengthy career as United manager. We could spend all day naming pants signings he's made.

It goes to show that even the best managers make the biggest mistakes. People always remember the **** signings ahead of the great ones.

True but Sir Alex became possibly the greatest manager of all time,certainly the best for United,strange though he trusted in his youth players who all did the business whilst buying fantastic forwards.

Getting in loan players can be proper dodgy simply because those players understand they won't be staying here,are they giving 100% when selected,who knows.

Why not in the close season look at the targets you want to sign and if the salary is sensible sign them,why do we always wait at the last second before panic sets in.

You panicked that's for sure but the board and the management team didn't ( Ferdinand, Ranger) and that's why we have had a good season.

Remember all the nonsense on here....
Why can't we be like Shrewsbury they signed loads of players before the end of May....
Why can't we be like Gillingham, Edinburgh is a genius signing 5 forwards by the end of June.
Port Vale signed 12 foreigners, why don't Southend look abroad
Oldham signed 15 players this week what has PB been doing.
Plus just like us, teams such as Coventry, Swindon and Chesterfield lost their best players including their top goal scores. They weren't so smart in the replacement department.

There's good reasons why its best not to panic in the close season.....As the league table shows.

When was the last time you checked? - Hunt has made 20 appearances for Pompey this season, and last played at the start of this month.

Loan singings can be dodgey, but they can also work out really well.. take Britt Asombolonga for example - and saying that they might not be giving 100 per cent is a flawed argument. As many of the players we have signed in recent years have all been as a result of a successful loan spell with us. Players go out on loan to play football and impress, this is to either get an extended contract at their parent club and push on (Sam McQueen) or to earn a deal elsewhere (knowing their current deal is about to end at parent club so have to "put themselves in the shop window") so it is in their personal interest to give 100 per cent.

As for the last comment, this does happen - but its not as simple as finding targets and singing them. Most players want to be playing in the highest league possible, they want regular football, they want the best possible salary, they want in many cases to be close to home, they want a shot at success, they want guarantees of regular football.

So its all well going out and approaching your targets in the close season, which Is what I suspect the management team actually do - but all the factors above come in to play and then you lose out on preferred targets because we don't have the same salary structure as other clubs, our training facilities may not be as good or the players agent advises them to hold off for a possible better offer - and then you end up moving to secondary targets, who may already be in discussions with other clubs, which means they need to take time to make a decision or are pushing both clubs for better offers or better guarantees, and before you know the the new season is almost upon us.

Unfortunately, we are Southend United, and we are not the most attractive club in the football league(I know I'm shocked too). We have had some bad press in the past, and this will go some way in swaying a decision against us. Now although he is not everyone's cup of tea, Phil Brown has done well to attract a decent calibre of player to the club and this has done well for our reputation in some respects - and I'm sure that when we go out to out preferred targets this year, we can use the likes of Ferdinand, Cox, Ranger & Fortuné as ambassadors, and this can only help in persuading better players to the club..

Last edited:
You panicked that's for sure but the board and the management team didn't ( Ferdinand, Ranger) and that's why we have had a good season.

Why can't we be like Shrewsbury they signed loads of players before the end of May....
Why can't we be like Gillingham, Edinburgh is a genius signing 5 forwards by the end of June.
Plus just like us, teams such as Coventry, Swindon and Chesterfield lost their best players including their top goal scores. They weren't so smart in the replacement department.

There's good reasons why its best not to panic in the close season.....As the league table shows.

I feel a bit dirty agreeing with you ;) but this is spot on.

Whatever way you look at it, PB has taken some tremendous stick on here. Anyone remember Deadline Day in August when the world ended when we didn't sign anyone? You've picked "better" teams than him. You've bemoaned his transfer policy (any team in this division would give their eye teeth for Ferdinand, Ranger and Cox). You only have to speak to the players and many of them will tell you that they signed for us BECAUSE of Phil Brown. (and coz Ron tells them they'll have a nice shiny stadium to play in).

I can't believe that people actually call for the head of a manager who has taken us up, over achieved in a higher division and has got us fighting for a play off place on the last day of the season. Yeah, so he does a bit of press work and makes unpopular decisions from time to time.

I mean, really, WHAT THE **** DO SOME OF YOU PEOPLE WANT??

The reality is that we have a more than decent manager. His record speaks for itself. He views this as a long term project (ask him, he will tell you this) and we've improved season on season with him. So why should we, or he, seek to end that.

I never panicked once..fact!
Shrews signed Deegan which tells me plenty.
Didnt Vale take 4 points of us this season.
Gills must be our bogey team.

Dont forget Phil still wanted Hunt who managed a meagre 559 minutes whilst scoring once for Pompey.

Oh remember when Phil was chasing Fortune,got his man then persuaded him to sign a lengthy deal which at his age was barking,and recently Fortune has hardly featured even though the team have lost 4 from 5.

Oh Ranger the great pretender...crazy contract length for his 20 odd appearances...bizarre.

Despite everything I will be there Sunday hoping for the best.

Back