• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good that but we are not ALL like that in the East Reds though! Believe or not some are quite supportive of our lads....:winking:

I'm only teasing.
In fact I've got my season ticket in the East Reds this season , and I know there are a lot of good , supportive fans in there.
Still quite a few moaners though , but that's the same the world over I guess.

I'll be in East Reds on Saturday-supporting SUFC.

Phil was an out of work manager who had been sacked at his previous jobs,No other club wanted him until Ron went calling.
Apart from Hull his previous gigs were a disaster,So as you say he has plenty of contacts yet none of them could find him a job scouting coaching or making the tea.

Phil has always been win 3 in 10 and it bears another resemblance here,Yeah you and others have faith but some of us don't share that view,This forum represents a small sample of fans views yet at games I have heard Phil get absolutely slaughtered by some.

Phil has had around 70 games here yet he looks nowhere nearer to that winning feeling.

in his first full season, he guided us to 5th in the table. Not too shabby.

Scunthorpe went up automatically yet won only one more game than us. So his win record with us is not an issue when analysed over a full season

There are a lot of out of work managers. I cannot see us tapping up a manager from another club, unless they are doing a bad job and then the club he's with will be happy for us to take him off their hands. But we don't want that, do we?

The other alternative is to go for a succesful non league manager, which like any appointment has its risks.

I would love to go up of course but at least with PB I am pretty sure we won't go down.

I don't know why I bother replying to you, maybe in hope that the penny will drop at some point LOL

I can be critical and far more scathing than you when I feel it's justified. I slated Barnard last season and I stand by my views on him as he should be performing better given his experience, however to criticise young players who are obviously at SUFC because they still have a lot of improving to do is just madness in my opinion.

Suppose Fulham and Spurs were actually paying this club to play their youngsters?,Southend obtain a free player without wages plus the club possibly collect a few thousand for the privilege.

I often wonder if Ron actually wants promotion because the budget must be very tight yet players come here over the managers head who must be paid decent amounts yet they hardly ever play.

Makes little sense to me.

in his first full season, he guided us to 5th in the table. Not too shabby.

Scunthorpe went up automatically yet won only one more game than us. So his win record with us is not an issue when analysed over a full season

There are a lot of out of work managers. I cannot see us tapping up a manager from another club, unless they are doing a bad job and then the club he's with will be happy for us to take him off their hands. But we don't want that, do we?

The other alternative is to go for a succesful non league manager, which like any appointment has its risks.

I would love to go up of course but at least with PB I am pretty sure we won't go down.

I would say the 13 games without a win cost us promotion IMHO.

Suppose Fulham and Spurs were actually paying this club to play their youngsters?,Southend obtain a free player without wages plus the club possibly collect a few thousand for the privilege.

I often wonder if Ron actually wants promotion because the budget must be very tight yet players come here over the managers head who must be paid decent amounts yet they hardly ever play.

Makes little sense to me.
Pure fantasy in my opinion. So what about Barnard, were we paid to sign him on a one year deal ? Next you'll be telling us Southampton paid us to take him back.

Pure fantasy in my opinion. So what about Barnard, were we paid to sign him on a one year deal ? Next you'll be telling us Southampton paid us to take him back.

Signing Barnard was indeed madness from someone at the club,He cannot be cheap yet rarely plays.

Firstly PB does not have to watch a player numerous times before taking them on loan, he has backroom staff and many contacts in the game that he can call on to help form a final opinion.

As for comparing Shaq's age to our youngsters they haven't been coached at a higher level and had experience at bigger clubs so overall I think it's fair to say he is a better gamble than an untested youth player of our own.

PB does not have the luxury of developing a side over 2-3 years, he is under pressure to get results now.

Which is why rather than get a young untested Coulthirst in, he should have got a recognized striker in who would get us goals..Like Tubbs for instance

Which is why rather than get a young untested Coulthirst in, he should have got a recognized striker in who would get us goals..Like Tubbs for instance

Indeed

Tubbs has so far scored more this season than out entire squad!,Why on earth did we spend 25k on a defender when it's plain to see where our problem is.

Firstly PB does not have to watch a player numerous times before taking them on loan, he has backroom staff and many contacts in the game that he can call on to help form a final opinion.

As for comparing Shaq's age to our youngsters they haven't been coached at a higher level and had experience at bigger clubs so overall I think it's fair to say he is a better gamble than an untested youth player of our own.

PB does not have the luxury of developing a side over 2-3 years, he is under pressure to get results now.

I don't know why I bother replying to you, maybe in hope that the penny will drop at some point LOL

I can be critical and far more scathing than you when I feel it's justified. I slated Barnard last season and I stand by my views on him as he should be performing better given his experience, however to criticise young players who are obviously at SUFC because they still have a lot of improving to do is just madness in my opinion.

So PB is under pressure to get results, but to get young strikers in on loan, who by your own admission are obviously at SUFC because they still have a lot of improving to do, seems to be a futile and pointless exercise. We need the finished article, not kids that need improving. We have kids that needs improving already, Layne, Brown, Williams. Why do we not send Coulthirst back, get an experinced striker on loanand use Brown, Layne and Williams as and when needed, last 20 mins of games etc

There is no guarantee that Tubbs or any other proven goalscorer would fit into our team. On paper Barnard should have been banging them in for fun last season, he was doing it for us first time around then went on to do well at Southampton until injuries and other indiscretions took their toll but even so he "should" be able to bag a few in league 2.

So given that we already have Barnard, a recognised striker as per your description, how can we afford another one in addition ?

So PB is under pressure to get results, but to get young strikers in on loan, who by your own admission are obviously at SUFC because they still have a lot of improving to do, seems to be a futile and pointless exercise. We need the finished article, not kids that need improving. We have kids that needs improving already, Layne, Brown, Williams. Why do we not send Coulthirst back, get an experinced striker on loanand use Brown, Layne and Williams as and when needed, last 20 mins of games etc
Our kids have less experience and in PB's fully qualified and professional opinion Shaq is a higher quality player at this stage of their development. If PB rates him ahead of our own youngsters it's not futile is it.

As for "we need the finished article", yeah ok, how do we pay for that ?

There is no guarantee that Tubbs or any other proven goalscorer would fit into our team. On paper Barnard should have been banging them in for fun last season, he was doing it for us first time around then went on to do well at Southampton until injuries and other indiscretions took their toll but even so he "should" be able to bag a few in league 2.

So given that we already have Barnard, a recognised striker as per your description, how can we afford another one in addition ?

When Barnard rejoined us the team then went on their winless run and at the latter stages when the team were actually winning Barnard was an unused sub.

Food for thought.

Our kids have less experience and in PB's fully qualified and professional opinion Shaq is a higher quality player at this stage of their development. If PB rates him ahead of our own youngsters it's not futile is it.

As for "we need the finished article", yeah ok, how do we pay for that ?

Then he needs to show it because currently he isn't. Or is that because we don't suit his style of play?

I suggest the style of play PB employs is wrong, we need to get back to basics and play a recognized formation that suits L2 players style of play becuase at the moment a Premiership youngster can't play the way PB advocates. In my opinion, players SHOULD be able to adapt to any style of play but clearly they can't. I don't see the teams we have played so far this season struggling and actually Oxford changed formation in the second half and coped admirably

When Barnard rejoined us the team then went on their winless run and at the latter stages when the team were actually winning Barnard was an unused sub.

Food for thought.
I have agreed with you on Barnard in the past but I don't understand why you are slating a young player that needs their confidence building not destroying by boo boys ( and girls) and also slating Corr, who incidentally I think is nothing more than a journeyman lower league plodder, but he has provided us with goals since signing him, a handful of games without scoring and all of a sudden he's the anti-christ according to you.

I have agreed with you on Barnard in the past but I don't understand why you are slating a young player that needs their confidence building not destroying by boo boys ( and girls) and also slating Corr, who incidentally I think is nothing more than a journeyman lower league plodder, but he has provided us with goals since signing him, a handful of games without scoring and all of a sudden he's the anti-christ according to you.

Never thought Corr was nothing but a journeyman player,He will do a limited job if you want to play the game to suit him.
I have rarely mentioned him this season.

Pointless post as he was our player, not a loan player

But why let the facts get in the way of a good rumour!!

Lets try this one.....I have it on good authority from my cousins best friend who met a man in a pub, who had a PM on Shrimperzone that when Tomlin signed his contract with Southend it was stipulated that he must play every game or he would release some dodgy pictures of Paul Sturrock in his kilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back