• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Labour and the General Election

These "Non-Doms" also employ a lot of people in this country who pay tax and NI along with a great deal of corporation tax. These amounts far outweigh probably by about 7 billion pounds which could quite easily walk out of the door as Ed Balls well knows, hence why he ruled out this policy 3 months ago!

Indeed. As Sir Winston said, "We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into
prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying
to lift himself up by the handle."

People moan about wanting a fairer tax system, and making sure the rich pay their part, but someone earning 100k a year pays 35k a year in tax and NI, whereas someone earning 20k a year, pays 3k in Tax and NI. Not sure how much fairer people want it to be....

People moan about wanting a fairer tax system, and making sure the rich pay their part, but someone earning 100k a year pays 35k a year in tax and NI, whereas someone earning 20k a year, pays 3k in Tax and NI. Not sure how much fairer people want it to be....

Excellent post. How viable is it to keep tapping people who earn more for more and more taxes? There is an issue in Paris at the moment where PSG are struggling to attract players because of the ridiculous tax thresholds they have over there and whilst this is a fairly loose example, I'm sure it can be applied across all industries. Why would someone earning 3 Million a year live in a country that sets 50% (for example) on most of his or her earnings, when that person can pay say 30% living elsewhere?

Someone is going to shoot the golden goose eventually and where we could have been charging 40% (or whatever it is) on a someone who is earning 3 million and receiving £1.2M per year, that person leaves and we receive bugger all....

When has tax ever been fair or wages for that matter. A banker still needs hospital staff but ever since new labour let the rich of the hook the squeeze has only been one way. The gap gets wider each year.

What about inheritance tax ? Some very ordinary paid people will be billed when their parents die because of the value of one main house that they paid for all their lives...... Yet did you know that the richest people who own the most land, like a 10,000 acre estate pay not a single penny inheritance tax. As long as it is a working farm[ they all are] and they don't even have to live there. can any one on here say that is in any way fair.

Why do we need to bribe the super rich to be in London? If all that London has to offer isn't enough then go elsewhere. It was the same with the minimum wage - numerous people said they would quit the UK if it was brought in and......they didn't.
If the Tories don't want to back a fairer tax system so be it. This is the Labour Party being bold and doing the right thing, if tax dodgers, people that make money from tax dodgers and Tories want to be up in arms about it then let them.

How much fairer do you want it to be ***.
The top 1% of earners already pay 25% of all tax collected in this country. (Figure from BBC). If you want to drive them away, you'll make this country a lot poorer,in my opinion.

The top 1% of earners already pay 25% of all tax collected in this country. (Figure from BBC). If you want to drive them away, you'll make this country a lot poorer,in my opinion.
The points on this are - some of the top 1% are paying high rates of tax and some are avoiding it so it makes sense to make sure the top 1% are treated fairly compared to the others in that category. Some people pretend to live on other countries - that is a loophole that needs closing.
The other point is that saying that the top 1% pay 25% of taxes gives you a pretty good indication of how unbalance income is in this country and that the 99% would be right to question the validity of that situation.

These "Non-Doms" also employ a lot of people in this country who pay tax and NI along with a great deal of corporation tax. These amounts far outweigh probably by about 7 billion pounds which could quite easily walk out of the door as Ed Balls well knows, hence why he ruled out this policy 3 months ago!
Now Ed is being bolder - a change for the better.
(plus if you listen to the rest of that interview you will see that the Tories have chopped elements to make it sound like something it wasn't)

The top 1% have 27% of the wealth so that means the rest of us are paying 2% of their fair share.

Should Bernie Ecclestone [avoided 2 billion in tax] pay that bit or say an inner London teacher.

By the way in the seventies the 1% had just 6% of the wealth. Which is why for example young hard working people can not afford even the most basic house in the South East.

Now Ed is being bolder - a change for the better.
(plus if you listen to the rest of that interview you will see that the Tories have chopped elements to make it sound like something it wasn't)

Whether one agrees with this or not, what is certainly true is that Miliband should be a bit bolder and this is a step in the right direction for him.

Whether one agrees with this or not, what is certainly true is that Miliband should be a bit bolder and this is a step in the right direction for him.
True - people complain there is no difference between the parties and that is not the case.

Those who are alarmed that the non-Dom status will be closed should bear in mind it just brings us in line with most of the EU and the US.

True - people complain there is no difference between the parties and that is not the case.

Those who are alarmed that the non-Dom status will be closed should bear in mind it just brings us in line with most of the EU and the US.

and we'd really want that wouldn't we. BTW the US has it's own problems. Why do you think there are a lot of big yachts registered in Delaware when you're wandering through up market marinas. Rich people will always find ways of avoiding tax. I really can't blame them if they look at people like Miliband.

and we'd really want that wouldn't we. BTW the US has it's own problems. Why do you think there are a lot of big yachts registered in Delaware when you're wandering through up market marinas. Rich people will always find ways of avoiding tax. I really can't blame them if they look at people like Miliband.
Maybe they should look at the other 99% of the population rather than just one person. If you are happy with the status quo that is cool for you but some people want and are working for change.

My mate was at City airport and sat near Miliband and his team in departures. They were sat around a table at a cafe, Miliband apparently looked really relaxed and in control, laughing with his team, completely at ease while discussing work and having a coffee.

My mate then walked past on his way to the gate and said "Good luck with the election, Ed" and Miliband completely panicked, to the point of not being able to say thanks! He instantly became this instant caricature that we see so often on the news.

He said the transformation was pretty terrifying - it was clear that Miliband was perfectly capable, completely at ease but the second he was in front of a regular member of the public he completely froze.

It's a shame we don't see more of Miliband being relatively normal and chilled, he's clearly got that within him.

My mate was at City airport and sat near Miliband and his team in departures. They were sat around a table at a cafe, Miliband apparently looked really relaxed and in control, laughing with his team, completely at ease while discussing work and having a coffee.

My mate then walked past on his way to the gate and said "Good luck with the election, Ed" and Miliband completely panicked, to the point of not being able to say thanks! He instantly became this instant caricature that we see so often on the news.

He said the transformation was pretty terrifying - it was clear that Miliband was perfectly capable, completely at ease but the second he was in front of a regular member of the public he completely froze.

It's a shame we don't see more of Miliband being relatively normal and chilled, he's clearly got that within him.

PM material right there......not

*Disclaimer*

We shouldn't get too het up about polls. I know. But I'm still posting this.

*End of disclaimer*

Three polls out in the last hour or so, all giving Labour a lead of between four and six per cent. Indicative of a slight shift perhaps? Ed has come out fighting the last couple of days, it could be paying off.

Conservatives now 1.58 on Betfair to win most seats, biggest price they have been for some weeks.

You missed a perfect opportunity to use a really annoying football cliché there. Surely you meant he's got that in his locker?

I would have thought he clearly hasn't got it within him. If he froze at an ordinary member of the public offering a thumbs up while just walking by then that says to me that every time we have seen him addressing (ordinary members of the public) at open forums, it has clearly been a set up with party faithful. Imagine what he would be like while chatting to other statesmen and world leaders.

*Disclaimer*

We shouldn't get too het up about polls. I know. But I'm still posting this.

*End of disclaimer*

Three polls out in the last hour or so, all giving Labour a lead of between four and six per cent. Indicative of a slight shift perhaps? Ed has come out fighting the last couple of days, it could be paying off.

Conservatives now 1.58 on Betfair to win most seats, biggest price they have been for some weeks.

The last six polls all give Labour a lead. The SNP Leader apparently did poorly in the TV debates in Scotland - possibly a swing back to Labour north of the border reflected in the polls.
I'm not exactly a natural Labour voter - even though their leadership have a lot in common with me: middle class, state school, non-oxbridge uni, socially inept - but I would much prefer a Labour govt with an outright majority than one relying on SNP support.

I would have thought he clearly hasn't got it within him. If he froze at an ordinary member of the public offering a thumbs up while just walking by then that says to me that every time we have seen him addressing (ordinary members of the public) at open forums, it has clearly been a set up with party faithful. Imagine what he would be like while chatting to other statesmen and world leaders.
I dunno, that's the difficult bit. One on one he could be great, or he could be terrible. Who knows.

I thought Miliband did pretty well in the debate the other night although it did drift into being too staged and a bit too much Jerry Springer when he started addressing the camera. At least he's started to come out fighting.

I dunno, that's the difficult bit. One on one he could be great, or he could be terrible. Who knows.

I thought Miliband did pretty well in the debate the other night although it did drift into being too staged and a bit too much Jerry Springer when he started addressing the camera. At least he's started to come out fighting.

Are you sure your mate didn't shout out BOO!! at him?

Back