• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Why would we want to keep Smith and Bennett, both a waste of wages sitting on the bench or in the treatment room.

And what does it mean when Auger has been invited back for pre-season training?

Does it mean we might sign them again? Or a goodwill gesture so that they can be fit and available when/if other parties are interested? Or is Browny just keeping his options open if signings do not materialise during the summer break.

It's all very confusing. :unsure:

Surely goodwill, we must know by now how good they are.

Why would we want to keep Smith and Bennett, both a waste of wages sitting on the bench or in the treatment room.

I wouldnt have been surprised to see Smith leave but a keeper on a bench isnt a waste, especially an experienced one to fall back on in rare injuries and no doubt a good influence on the younger keepers.

Bennett on the other hand Id be stunned if we kept him.

I hope Laird gets a decent club, I'm at a total loss to understand why he is being released, especially when Clifford is still on the books.

We could do a lot worse than keeping Smith as a number 2, maybe it means we're going to cash in on Teddy. Bennett, if he stays, would possibly be pay as you play.

Laird leaving is an absolute crime! Such a good player at this level and will stroll into another league 2 midfield and just watch him succeed

I hope Laird gets a decent club, I'm at a total loss to understand why he is being released, especially when Clifford is still on the books.

Presumably because Laird is out of contract and Clifford is under contract for another year. Had the contracts situation been the other way round then I assume Laird would have stayed and Clifford would be leaving!

I'm devastated that Freddy is gone. Still young (well not old), so it's a shame his body has given up on him, as he is still technically head a shoulders above everyone else.

Laird just didn't fit for Brown - shame.

Smith staying makes me think Brown isn't hopeful of keeping Bentley.

Always knew we would keep Bennett (on a very reduced deal)

Clifford gets pitch time when Laird doesnt so Brown obviously prefers him.

Think Clifford offers more of an attacking threat than Laird, although we are still to see it.

Angry that Laird has gone. Will not find a better cover and defensive midfielder grit then Marc Laird. If Paul Smith stays I will question the running's of our club.

Angry that Laird has gone. Will not find a better cover and defensive midfielder grit then Marc Laird. If Paul Smith stays I will question the running's of our club.

So is this the only factor ?
Surely questioning how our club is run is a lifetimes work and not just based on keeping our No 2 goalie on the books ?

Clifford gets pitch time when Laird doesnt so Brown obviously prefers him.

Think Clifford offers more of an attacking threat than Laird, although we are still to see it.

Very true, and Laird was more likely to complete a full 90mins without red cards. Although I'm not sure why I'm getting worked up because it won't change a thing. I just wish Brown had talked to me first!

Laird leaving is an absolute crime! Such a good player at this level and will stroll into another league 2 midfield and just watch him succeed

Totally agree! I too thought he was a terrific player in the middle. I recall the first game of the season against Plymouth. Thought he was brilliant. Oh well, sad, but I do trust Browny's judgement. Like others, I hope he gets a good club as long as he does not come back to haunt us.

Totally agree! I too thought he was a terrific player in the middle. I recall the first game of the season against Plymouth. Thought he was brilliant. Oh well, sad, but I do trust Browny's judgement. Like others, I hope he gets a good club as long as he does not come back to haunt us.

He's probably feeling a bit unloved at moment as same thing happened to him at Orient.

So is this the only factor ?
Surely questioning how our club is run is a lifetimes work and not just based on keeping our No 2 goalie on the books ?

Paul Smith is one of the worst GK's I think this club has ever had, next to Emberson (Think his name was) haha

Gutted about Laird. The others are the right call IMO.

Thanks to the players efforts in their time at the club.

As a side note, Mark Phillips, time to leave but what a great bloke. Top man.

Back