• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I only saw Gomis play once but he honestly looked alright to me, it hasn't worked out but I can see why Brown gave him a chance, presumably wasn't on much so wasn't really a risk. If he worked hard he could probably find a conference team that would take him.

I'd agree with others above that if we're still negotiating with Smith, we can't be overly confident of retaining Bentley.

Don't know if there's any truth in it but someone I know said that he spoke to Dan a couple of days ago and he said he won't be with us next season which means that either he's told Brown he wants to leave ( which I'd be surprised about) or a deal for him has already been agreed with another club.

It makes me sad that although our youth academy is always said to be so highly rated, yet another two youngsters have been released. For all the promising players we seem to have, how many have left without ever progressing? James-Lewis, Lindie, Furlonge, Hazell etc. now Chambers and Auger. In fact, how many have actually done it in the pro game after coming through our system? Bentley, O'Keefe, even Ferdinand and Herd have not progressed.

Why are they not coming through and is our youth set up under Ricky Duncan something that PB seriously has to look at overhauling?

I doubt many lower league teams produce that many youngsters that come through the ranks, make the first team and have successful lengthy careers in the pro game?

It makes me sad that although our youth academy is always said to be so highly rated, yet another two youngsters have been released. For all the promising players we seem to have, how many have left without ever progressing? James-Lewis, Lindie, Furlonge, Hazell etc. now Chambers and Auger. In fact, how many have actually done it in the pro game after coming through our system? Bentley, O'Keefe, even Ferdinand and Herd have not progressed.

Why are they not coming through and is our youth set up under Ricky Duncan something that PB seriously has to look at overhauling?

We have a consistent track record of developing and producing players between the ages of 14 and 18, but we fail to push them on from there. We're far from alone in that respect though, it's a problem that every club is seemingly contending with considering that Greg Dyke highlighted that particular issue as being one of the key reasons why our national team is comparatively lacklustre at the moment. It clearly needs a rethink, but I'd guess that the lack of consistent reserve football is probably telling.

I hope Laird gets a decent club, I'm at a total loss to understand why he is being released, especially when Clifford is still on the books.

Maybe we have too many midfielders and Brown must be thinking about how he wants to reshape the side for next season.

I think Laird is a well good enough player but fine he's gone, i'd prefer him to Clifford but the contract situation probably decided who to keep.

Smith is a good experienced back up, I wouldn't really want two keepers with one full season behind them but if they're good enough they're old enough, Maybe one will leave.
Chambers maybe a case of being 4th choice behind Bentley, Smith and Smith. Remember Jack Payne came back from being released.

the rest fair enough I'd think, I think Brown seems to know his stuff.

Can't compare Laird and Clifford, they are about 10 years different in age. Clifford could be a much better player than Laird is currently, however he could also be the next Lee Sawyer.

I only saw Gomis play once but he honestly looked alright to me, it hasn't worked out but I can see why Brown gave him a chance, presumably wasn't on much so wasn't really a risk. If he worked hard he could probably find a conference team that would take him.

I am afraid he tried too hard to impress and looked very poor because of it

Brown says he wants players who can play 46 games. This will surely rule out Bennett? Glad to see he is looking for youth and pace. What we lacked last season.

I'd agree with others above that if we're still negotiating with Smith, we can't be overly confident of retaining Bentley.

Don't agree with that. Every club needs a back-up goalkeeper and if Smith is happy to be that, and can agree wages accordingly, then I don't see a big issue with him staying.

I wouldn't read anything more into that.

Have said for a while Smithy has a place at the club, feel very sorry for Chambers who was very highly rated at one time. Both Dan and Ted have credited Smith with helping them out so I feel he still has a role to play.

Can't compare Laird and Clifford, they are about 10 years different in age. Clifford could be a much better player than Laird is currently, however he could also be the next Lee Sawyer.

Laird is 28 and Clifford 22. Everyone seems to think of Clifford as a young kid, but he's actually 6 months older than Leonard.

Laird leaving is an absolute crime! Such a good player at this level and will stroll into another league 2 midfield and just watch him succeed
. You may be right, that he could do a job somewhere, but for some reason, he doesn't seem to fit in here....

Daggers at home in the JPT. Two ends of the spectrum

What really annoys me about when people bring this up is the amount of the goals where other players were equally to blame or in at least one case totally to blame. If bentley performed the same it would have been forgotten and people would be saying , first game back,been injured, errors by other players etc.

How much of Dan's progression is partly down to Smith?

This season.. 12 premier league appearances and 1 goal thats a decent progression, moussa is doing ok, but as for the others I agree

Back