• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Of course it will - I was thinking at the end of the game: - will he be blowing kisses and throwing his shirt and boots into the crowd. If so he could be gone Monday morning. What's the deadline for a player to sign in order to be able to play?

I think he's allowed to wear the same boots whatever club he plays for.

Meanwhile on the Lenny transfer thread, Blades fans are wondering whether they would offer up Samir Carruthers or Lundstram to clinch the deal. I would certainly take either of those over Richardson. IF this deal is happening though, I imagine Ron will want a money only deal with big add-ons.

Indeed.

What sort of loon would take it off-topic and mention Bobby Charlton?! :smile::winking:

Of course it will - I was thinking at the end of the game: - will he be blowing kisses and throwing his shirt and boots into the crowd. If so he could be gone Monday morning. What's the deadline for a player to sign in order to be able to play?

Depends. Will Justin Bieber be there?

Southend United v Bert Traumann(aka Man City) 1956 I think......now THAT was a mud heap of a pitch.
Think it was the mud that saved Man Cty that day with a couple of shots stopping in the mud on the goal line , memory serves me correct Man city went on to win the FA Cup ,and Bert Trautmann played on after badly hurting his neck in the final .Not sure but think there was a 28000 crowd at that game .Allowed standing back then .

I think Trautmann broke his neck if I recall in the final, he was my childhood hero, what a keeper he was.

We had over 31,000 against Liverpool in 79, as far as I know thats the only time we've had over 30K at the Hall.

I've just checked The Bible and it says the crowd was 29,500 (Gate Receipts of £5,572) :cool:, so I make you right 'Brettie'.

Think it was the mud that saved Man Cty that day with a couple of shots stopping in the mud on the goal line , memory serves me correct Man city went on to win the FA Cup ,and Bert Trautmann played on after badly hurting his neck in the final .Not sure but think there was a 28000 crowd at that game .Allowed standing back then .

it certainly was the mud, if we think the pitch is bad now , you should have seen that one. The goal areas were particularly bad and we outplayed Man City and were unlucky to lose. It was great to be there and one that will stick in my memory, Another great hero for me, I think Harry Threadgold was in goal for us. Not sure the game would be played today of course

Sorry chaps,perhaps my memory is fading ,it happens when u turn 25 !����������������������

I think Trautmann broke his neck if I recall in the final, he was my childhood hero, what a keeper he was.

Oh for the days when players who were hurt pretended they weren't, rather than the pathetic play acting we get now !

Oh for the days when players who were hurt pretended they weren't, rather than the pathetic play acting we get now !

In think that having a substitution system in place, so that players aren't pressured to play through career-threatening injuries, is infinitely preferable.

it certainly was the mud, if we think the pitch is bad now , you should have seen that one. The goal areas were particularly bad and we outplayed Man City and were unlucky to lose. It was great to be there and one that will stick in my memory, Another great hero for me, I think Harry Threadgold was in goal for us. Not sure the game would be played today of course

He did play 'Barry'.

The team was :-

Threadgold
Williamson
Howe
Duthie
Stirling
Lawler
Lockhart
McCrory
Hollis
Baron
McGuigan

Nice little piece on the match, here, with comments towards the bottom :-

http://www.citytilidie.com/latest/southend-v-manchester-city-fa-cup-4th-round-195556/

:thumbsup:

According to another article, this is the work ahead of the match, that was being done (taken from this link .. http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...llery/manchester-city-fa-cup-pictures-3566523 ) :-

Manchester-City-1956.jpg

Sorry to interrupt but I've had an email from a Blades poster who offered me this. He's happy for me to share but obviously we none of us know the outcome until January some time. It would be good if it were true.

Hi Roots, I posted on here last week that my source who is very close to our chairman informed me the deal was done. He did tell me not to mention it but I couldn't resist posting a slight critic post. I've had itchy fingers about posting the price but I'm scratching my head as I don't believe 1 as his contract is up in the summer and 2 from the price doing the rounds before that what we've paid if it's true would be anywhere near. If it is true your team have a very good deal at 1.7 M So if it goes through and isn't a undisclosed amount hopefully we'll find out. All the best to your team this season UTB

Blimey, sounds like we'd be nuts if those figures are true.

Ps, If others agree, feel free to lift the Trauttman stuff off this thread and onto the 'old photos' one.

Back