• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If its £2 more than last year surely that means last year was too pricey too! Even if it was £38 people would complain about the price, because football shirts are just overpriced.

In this case though we are actually expensive compared to most other clubs in our league. Wimbledon are the only one I found charging more (£45)

Most clubs seem to charge around £40 although some charge £35 or so.

It may only be £4 more than most but being one of the most expensive isnt really a nice tag to have.

I havent bought a shirt for myself for about 20 years so it wont be price that stops me, although Im tempted this time as its a nice shirt. I do however buy one for my son, and at £36 for him its more than an adult shirt at some clubs, and thats disappointing.

That's a good point. The fact some clubs find that acceptable is wrong. I know CP tweeted that its the people who own the club shop that set the price, but personally, I think the Football League should put a maximum limit on shirt prices.

It may be £2 more than last year but i'm more than happy to pay that amount for Blues shirts...have got every shirt since 2004 so an increase of a couple of quid won't stop me getting them personally.

You can still wear a lot if not all those shirts Im sure, my son will grow out of his in a year or so, so £36 is terrible value.

We would never buy him a non football top for anywhere near that amount.

A fair price for a little kids football shirt would be £20-25 tops in my opinion and will encourage people to buy them and get us all photographing our kids in SUFC gear so when they try to support a Premier League side later in life we can hold them to ransom.

You can still wear a lot if not all those shirts Im sure, my son will grow out of his in a year or so, so £36 is terrible value.

We would never buy him a non football top for anywhere near that amount.

A fair price for a little kids football shirt would be £20-25 tops in my opinion and will encourage people to buy them and get us all photographing our kids in SUFC gear so when they try to support a Premier League side later in life we can hold them to ransom.

Only back to 09-10 season! The rest are stored away in drawers!

And of course. £36 is too much for a kids football shirt, let alone a normal top. I wouldn't buy a normal top for more than £20...

The comment was aimed at him and whilst no doubt meant as a joke was unneccessary, lets keep on topic please...

Let me think...no. I work, like most people on here, and don't want to spend all my money on expensive tops (apart from Blues shirts)

Beware of false economy A.L.
Cheap gear is usually cheap as it is poorly made in sweat shops by exploited workers; it is more likely to wash poorly, go out of shape and wear badly; sometimes/often it is better to pay more and get some quality.
Also I try to avoid getting shirts that use me as a walking advert for the brand with obvious logo displays.
Rarely will you get good stuff for under £25 unless it is in a genuine sale.
I will pay over the top for my SUFC shirt as it is worth it in SO many ways.
UTB!

Cheap gear is usually cheap as it is poorly made in sweat shops by exploited workers; it is more likely to wash poorly, go out of shape and wear badly; sometimes/often it is better to pay more and get some quality.
Also I try to avoid getting shirts that use me as a walking advert for the brand with obvious logo displays.
UTB!

Thats true to an extent, but you also have to factor in the label, often a tshirt with a designer label is of no better quality than a cheaper shirt, but is just more expensive because of the company name on it.

With that in mind, why arent Southend shirts going to be cheaper with the new company name on them?:smile:

Even though I am someone who feels this is well over priced but thats just seems to be the way of life now days.

But thinking about it last night its probably the most worn shirt in peoples warddrobes.

So you buy a home kit for £44 and only wear it for the 23 league home games thats £1.91 per week

Buy the a shirt for £44.00 wear it for the 23 league games plus once a week at football training its about £0.60pw ( I think)

You buy an £80.00 ralph polo and wear it 23 times a year its £3.48 PW but a lot more "down with the kids"

Its just the upfront layout of £44.00 that could dent some people

We have to accept that we live in a world where everthing related to football is spiralling upwards. On the bigger scale, Real Madrid announced the other day that the amount of the shirts that they have already sold with "James 10" has recouped 5% of their outlay ! Man Utd signed a 750mill deal with Adidas. Football, regardless of the league you play in, is moving consistantly away from the Middle Class market that is the soul of the game. Football is big business, and whether you are a Southend or Man Utd fan, it is now deemed the fans job to not only "support" the Club, but to also fund and make profits for all the brands etc related to the Club.

Ron nor Southend created the market where football shirts are priced at the levels that they are, the football bubble did !

Not the way it should be done, and breaking the law in UK, but I could get this top made for 30 lira, about 9 quid. It happens every where out here.

We have to accept that we live in a world where everthing related to football is spiralling upwards. On the bigger scale, Real Madrid announced the other day that the amount of the shirts that they have already sold with "James 10" has recouped 5% of their outlay ! Man Utd signed a 750mill deal with Adidas. Football, regardless of the league you play in, is moving consistantly away from the Middle Class market that is the soul of the game. Football is big business, and whether you are a Southend or Man Utd fan, it is now deemed the fans job to not only "support" the Club, but to also fund and make profits for all the brands etc related to the Club.

Ron nor Southend created the market where football shirts are priced at the levels that they are, the football bubble did !
All very true but Ron has also done nothing to create a brand with SUFC, our off field marketing continues to be woeful, consecutive Chief Exec's have failed to improve on marketing, communication, ticket sales, christ we can't even answer the phone in the ticket office half the time. We need a real go getter with a can do attitude to shake things up instead of these lame half arsed attempts to raise the profile of the club. At this time of year there are thousands of graduates with marketing degree's looking for work experience who are cheap and eager to impress, go and get a few in SK and push the club to the forefront of people's minds.

All very true but Ron has also done nothing to create a brand with SUFC, our off field marketing continues to be woeful, consecutive Chief Exec's have failed to improve on marketing, communication, ticket sales, christ we can't even answer the phone in the ticket office half the time. We need a real go getter with a can do attitude to shake things up instead of these lame half arsed attempts to raise the profile of the club. At this time of year there are thousands of graduates with marketing degree's looking for work experience who are cheap and eager to impress, go and get a few in SK and push the club to the forefront of people's minds.

OAA I was only giving a comment related to the thread and the issue of the cost of football shirts and to clarify what I meant by brand, I meant companies such as Nike and Addidas.

UTB!

If you are not label obsessed then the above statement is simply incorrect. And if you think that expensive labels are not made in sweat shops by exploited workers then you really have bought in to the marketing crap. expensive does not equal good, cheap does not equal crap. With an unknown brand you are not paying for their marketing. The manufacturing price of a garment bears little relation to the retail price for ' branded goods'

OAA I was only giving a comment related to the thread and the issue of the cost of football shirts and to clarify what I meant by brand, I meant companies such as Nike and Addidas.
You pointed out that branding as in marketing the club via shirts has already recouped Real Madrid 5% of the fee they paid for James, well on a much smaller scale there is no reason why SUFC cannot generate revenue through branding but it seems we currently do nothing, nothing that works anyway. So your post was actually talking about finance, marketing and branding not just football shirt manufacturers.

Football clubs are local products, its not an easy task trying to promote one.

If it were that easy to expand a small football club there wouldnt be so many with sub 5k crowds.

From what I've seen the marketing and media team do a good job at SUFC with the resources they have.

Football clubs are local products, its not an easy task trying to promote one.

If it were that easy to expand a small football club there wouldnt be so many with sub 5k crowds.

From what I've seen the marketing and media team do a good job at SUFC with the resources they have.
Strongly disagree, back in the 90's I used to get calls from the club encouraging me to buy draw tickets, they knew if I hadn't been to a game for a while and tried to sell me tickets, I haven't had anything like that for many many years.

Back