• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

And Chris Powell it seems to be

What was the apparent reason the Cowley brothers wouldn't come? Don't like Southend or Martin?

What was the apparent reason the Cowley brothers wouldn't come? Don't like Southend or Martin?

Those 2 PE teachers eh ! Do we really care what they think?

Wonder if they still wait outside the showers at Lincoln making sure their players have washed their winkles :omg:

Sorry, worded poorly. What I mean was that, often, people say they don't like the club. Why?

People say a lot of things that arent always accurate.

The Cowleys are currently managing a club, based on attendances, bigger than Southend, we wouldnt exactly be a massive attraction to them other than location. Im not sure why people would expect them to instantly drop Lincoln to come here.

Oh they were

If thats the case Im surprised. Would have required going via Lincoln first and would have thought it would have been made public at some point.

People say a lot of things that arent always accurate.

The Cowleys are currently managing a club, based on attendances, bigger than Southend, we wouldnt exactly be a massive attraction to them other than location. Im not sure why people would expect them to instantly drop Lincoln to come here.

If thats the case Im surprised. Would have required going via Lincoln first and would have thought it would have been made public at some point.

The Cowleys are very shrewd. I suspect they recognise that Southend, in the right hands, has greater long term potential - given its population catchment area - and might be a very attractive proposition. The fact that RM sacked the entire Brown management team, including a popular and loyal assistant manager, might be seen as a bit of a carrot to attract the management target he is pursuing. But Jam_Man is right. Compensation is likely to prove a stumbling block with the Cowleys. The Lincoln Board are likely to fight like mad to hold on to their very talented managerial team who are contracted until 2021.

I don't want the Cowley's at our club. (I don't understand some SZ members obsession with them?)

They have proven nothing at a League One level, & will probably won't get promotion from Division Two this season.

Besides, they made it clear they don't like us. It's as simple as that. I never want to see a future manager that talks negatively about our club (before joining).. let alone managing us.

In my books, that's worse than Barry Fry, at least that judas did a half decent job when he was here, before he jumped ship.

With that in mind, I don't think the fans would truly embrace the Cowley's in the same way as when Tilly, Sturrock or Brown, when they initially appointed. Especially considering the comments they publically made in the media, when not even being within the club.

Thanks but no thanks, for me.

I don't want the Cowley's at our club. (I don't understand some SZ members obsession with them?)

They have proven nothing at a League One level, & will probably won't get promotion from Division Two this season.

Besides, they made it clear they don't like us. It's as simple as that. I never want to see a future manager that talks negatively about our club (before joining).. let alone managing us.

In my books, that's worse than Barry Fry, at least that judas did a half decent job when he was here, before he jumped ship.

With that in mind, I don't think the fans would truly embrace the Cowley's in the same way as when Tilly, Sturrock or Brown, when they initially appointed. Especially considering the comments they publically made in the media, when not even being within the club.

What exactly did he say? I must’ve missed that and can’t see anything online.

Only one man for the job, IMO:

Spoiler:  
o5bbdg.jpg

Poor old 'hastings'.

His first post and he gets a bit of stick (that's not a French stick, btw).

Don't let it put you off, mate.

It's often a bit of a battle on the Zone, but it's early to take a bit of stick - presumably in the eye?

I thank you.

I've said it before many times - Chris Powell/ Steve Tilson dream team. Powell is intelligent, articulate and, along with Tilly, a Blues legend. I reckon, given the opportunity, Tilson would come back as assistant manager. With those two on board, crowds would be bigger, louder and more likely to lift the team. Additions to the squad are definitely needed, but it's still a strong group of players at this level and we should be pushing for promotion not looking at the drop-zone.

I really don't care if the next manager is proven at League One or Championship level. What matters is whether they can assemble a side, whether they can sign and develop young players and manage players. If you can do that at League Two or Conference level you can do that at League One level.

Sturrock was certainly not embraced, he was the devil incarnate for stealing Tilsons job. He earnt respect for what he did of course. Wouldnt say Brown was embraced either, again earnt respect from some.

I think the Cowleys would be made very welcome they were offered it and accepted it. I cant see how they would make the move though for a club no bigger than the one they are at.

What have they ever said about us?

Surprise no one has mention Tim Sherwood he is out of work I believe highly thought of at spurs maybe no one thinks he would want to manager a club in league one..

Back