• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I guess there has to be some benefit to being up there! :winking:

This is where I live and work.... just going out to walk the dogs through that landscape, but I shall mull over the benefits and consider a move back to Essex while I enjoy the sun we've been blessed with today. :smile:

edit.202.jpg

You are correct that we need a new planning application for this as it is materially different to what has already been approved. However I don't agree that we are "back to square one" as the approval following the previous enquiry and more recent changes to Government planning policy means that the new application should have a much shorter and less bumpy journey!

In fairness the original plans didn't have a bumpy journey. The issue was funding. The plans were approved pretty quickly. They may have been called in, but even that went relatively smoothly. I guess the fact that the previous plans were agreed, and therefore that a "proof of concept" has already been agreed means that these plans should go though pretty smoothly which may save time.

But in terms of the process we are back where we started. For that reason I still think we're back to square one, but at least there is now light at the end of the tunnel.

If you're referring to my post, I said "it seems", not that it is. This was based on the fact that BL are now involved and I would imagine they would have everything in place by the time they're ready to start the build. I do get your point though: it's not guaranteed, but it does seem to be promising.

Sorry, if I sounded antagonistic ! It just frustrated when I saw the invite, with logos from both parties, only to read further that they are only still in advance discussions. I suppose it could be a positive move if British Land are present at the consultation, and they see how much it means to us...

In fairness the original plans didn't have a bumpy journey. The issue was funding. The plans were approved pretty quickly. They may have been called in, but even that went relatively smoothly. I guess the fact that the previous plans were agreed, and therefore that a "proof of concept" has already been agreed means that these plans should go though pretty smoothly which may save time.

But in terms of the process we are back where we started. For that reason I still think we're back to square one, but at least there is now light at the end of the tunnel.

It took a while to go to the Government etc but was plain sailing.

Whilst there may be more receptiveness to new stadiums etc now and the old plans were agreed the new plans are asking for more. This is on the back of us messing everyone around for 7 years so the Council will have less faith in us to deliver.

I dont see that this will be easier to get agreed than the first attempt.

I dont see that this will be easier to get agreed than the first attempt.

It will be, because the principal of a stadium on this site along with some associated enabling development (retail and housing) has already been agreed and been through a public enquiry process.

This looks more positive but my worry is previously the we were unsure how the club would financially benefit from the development with one main party/developer. Now there are 2 development partners, we are likely to get a smaller cut of the undisclosed share of the pie :unsure:
But i guess a small share is better than no share....just as long as we get enough to keep us going.

This looks more positive but my worry is previously the we were unsure how the club would financially benefit from the development with one main party/developer. Now there are 2 development partners, we are likely to get a smaller cut of the undisclosed share of the pie :unsure:
But i guess a small share is better than no share....just as long as we get enough to keep us going.

I doubt the club was ever going to benefit from money made from the development.

The benefit comes from the money generated once we are in the stadium, that too hasnt been clarified. Then again how do we benefit from Roots Hall anyway?

It will be, because the principal of a stadium on this site along with some associated enabling development (retail and housing) has already been agreed and been through a public enquiry process.

The stadium was agreed, so on that basis this one will too.

However the housing is far far bigger than before as is the leisure aspect. The size of the tower blocks is far bigger than anything in the area, thats not going to be simple to get agreed.

The fact there is more included logically says it must therefore be harder to get agreed in the first place. If the agreement to 60 flats is the same as getting 160 agreed then maybe its done and dusted, but Id be surprised.

The great news is that British Land plc are involved and are fully committed. The bad news is it's still a long way off because getting Southend Council and government approval will be very difficult, and may spark another public inquiry. This will still run and run.

British Land aren't fully committed.

They're in "advanced discussions" only.

However I do feel that British Land are unlikely to let it drag any longer than necessary.
Ron tried but,for whatever the reason,, funds etc, he lacked to nous, ability or whatever, to get the momentum up, I think BL have what it takes, as long as they are allowed to do what they do best.

British Land are more than capable of letting things drag. This will be played out to their timetable, like it was previously played out to Sainbury's timetable. The keydate for British Land is 31st March, which is their year end. Expect a flurry of activity leading up to this date, be it 2016 or 2017.

And what Ron was missing last time was most definitely funds.

Well Ron Woodley for Southend Council has already said he is not happy with the new bigger plans, and the effect it will have on traffic and the High Street etc etc.

The Council's opening gambit for renegotiating the section 106.

Sounds to me like we are dealing with pros now regarding a new stadium rather then a supermarket ???

Sainsburys are most definitely pros when it comes to property. It didn't happen because of incompetence, it didn't happen because they didn't want it to happen.

"British Land plc is the UK’s largest listed owner and manager of retail space and a market leader in the design and development of Shopping Parks. Their skill is to create environments which support today’s work and leisure lifestyles… providing a perfect ‘neighbour’ for the Clubs plans".

So, if they are a "neighbour" to the clubs plans (I assume the cinema), have we got a backer for the stadium ?

"British Land plc is the UK’s largest listed owner and manager of retail space and a market leader in the design and development of Shopping Parks. Their skill is to create environments which support today’s work and leisure lifestyles… providing a perfect ‘neighbour’ for the Clubs plans".

So, if they are a "neighbour" to the clubs plans (I assume the cinema), have we got a backer for the stadium ?

Yours is a rhetorical question at the moment, and truthfully I doubt we will ever know the answer until it is irrelevant.

We have an invite to ask questions (below), maybe then is the time to ask, chances are it will be commercial in confidence, but you never know.

Please come along to the consultation. There will be both professional personnel, coordinating the application, and members of the Clubs Commercial Team to discuss the plans and answer questions.
Read more at http://www.southendunited.co.uk/new...e-commercial-2732488.aspx#PuQlC2g0k7xpwPJQ.99

Yours is a rhetorical question at the moment, and truthfully I doubt we will ever know the answer until it is irrelevant.

We have an invite to ask questions (below), maybe then is the time to ask, chances are it will be commercial in confidence, but you never know.

Please come along to the consultation. There will be both professional personnel, coordinating the application, and members of the Clubs Commercial Team to discuss the plans and answer questions.
Read more at http://www.southendunited.co.uk/new...e-commercial-2732488.aspx#PuQlC2g0k7xpwPJQ.99

Lets hope answers are forthcoming and not met with the usual "email Ron as I dont know the details" response.

Lets hope answers are forthcoming and not met with the usual "email Ron as I dont know the details" response.

I'm not hopeful and I expect it to be stage managed, but at least it is an invitation to talk. There haven't been too many of them over the last few years

The cinema and retail park will be part of the funding for the cinema. As will the flats and whatever is done to Roots Hall, plans for which are still unknown.

The combination of all of these parts will I hope fund the entire stadium.

One (mildly) interesting thing is that the the main stand will once again be on the east side of the ground meaning that the bench will be facing the direction of the setting sun. Remember your sunglasses!

Looking at the plan I would say the West Stand is still the 'main stand'.
There seems to be a rather large gap between the pitch and the West Stand for some reason.
Also the residential tower blocks seem very narrow and will look a bit odd if they are 13 stories high, it would be nice to see some side on ground level views both inside and outside of the stadium. I thought that was what we were going to be shown at midday? Hopefully more detailed plans will be available to view on the 23/24 Oct.

Last edited:
Back