• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

exactly this, he was offered a significantly reduced basic wage with the rest made up of bonuses, ie appearance fee, goal bonus, assist bonus etc.

Phil Brown said it's basically a pay as you play contract with bonuses, so Southend don't waste money like they have in the past with injury prone players.

It's really tricky for us as fans to make a proper judgement on whether a player should be signed or not as we are not in possession of the full facts about contracts.

We simply say should we sign Noel Hunt or not, when the question PB and the team have to answer is, should we sign Noel Hunt if he's going to cost us as much as player X. My guess is he was one of our higher paid players last year, in which case we probably didn't get value for money. The club are now trying to renegotiate the contract based on what they think his value to the squad is. Last year he made 22 appearances and scored 4 goals.

Add into that Financial Fair Play regulations and it gets even more complicated....

Money doesn't come into it. He can't stay fit long enough to be a useful asset and as such we don't need him and wish him well. If I were him (at a stage where things are clearly tailing off) I'd go to the highest bidder and if that's Eastleigh, so be it.

Hunt is better than any of,our strikers when fit. Obviously that's the problem. But it will be a tidy conference defender that can kick him up,the arse all game.. Most of them will have trouble wondering where he is going to go

Hunt seems to be getting a fair bit of flak from Shrimpers fans at the minute, but I really rate the guy. When he was fit he stood out as our best player by some distance (Peterborough and Bury at home spring to mind). I suppose it was disappointing we didn't get more games out of him.

CP just tweeted that Eastleigh are rumoured to be interested in signing him.

If that is the case, well, blimey... that's a fall from grace isn't it? From Championship to Conference league in less than a year.

I know he's had his injury woes and all, but I think he is way better than conference standard.

I think you've answered your own questions. When he played, he was pretty much the best on the pitch last season but unfortunately, when he's not fit, he's not contributing. Hindsight says he was a terrible signing but I still believe we have to take the occasional risk like this. Real shame it didn't work out as Noel Hunt was a class act.

Phil Brown said it's basically a pay as you play contract with bonuses, so Southend don't waste money like they have in the past with injury prone players.

A pay as you play deal is not as simple as you only get paid any wage when you play. The contract would be on a minimal basic amount, with the bulk of potential earnings made up of bonuses and appearances fees. So why it may be referred to as a pay as you play, its not so straight forward!

I think you've answered your own questions. When he played, he was pretty much the best on the pitch last season but unfortunately, when he's not fit, he's not contributing. Hindsight says he was a terrible signing but I still believe we have to take the occasional risk like this. Real shame it didn't work out as Noel Hunt was a class act.

I agree, but terrible is harsh. He wasn't fit enough often enough to be a success but he still contributed five goals and earned us some points (also set up Mooney at Col Ewe). Terrible signings = Craig Read/Alessane N'diaye/Michael Ricketts/Carl Emberson.

How many times have you been told not to put rational and common sense posts on here? :raspberry:

Hash tag: NoplaceforsuchbalancedviewsonShrimperZone

Blues still waiting to hear back from Hunt

SOUTHEND United are still waiting to hear if striker Noel Hunt will be accepting their latest contract offer.

More...

That makes more sense to me than eastleigh. Division 2 quality, big club that no doubt can beat what we are offering & easily match what ever Eastleigh may have offered.

That makes more sense to me than eastleigh. Division 2 quality, big club that no doubt can beat what we are offering & easily match what ever Eastleigh may have offered.

Portsmouth have the money along with proven ability to waste it- which is why they are in L2. Last year I was in the minority who said they wouldn't go up- I think its even less likely they will this year. If Noel has to go somewhere to pick up a decent pay check there are certainly worse places.

He hasn't turned us down but is clearly hoping to get other offers either to push ours up or to accept. I am sure he would prefer not to trial but it has the advantage of giving him some pre-season and keeping his options open.

TBH I think PB is looking elsewhere and we may now stretch ourselves a bit more to secure alternative targets. Noel always needed a proper pre-season and this farting around is not going to provide it.

Portsmouth have the money along with proven ability to waste it- which is why they are in L2. Last year I was in the minority who said they wouldn't go up- I think its even less likely they will this year. If Noel has to go somewhere to pick up a decent pay check there are certainly worse places.

He hasn't turned us down but is clearly hoping to get other offers either to push ours up or to accept. I am sure he would prefer not to trial but it has the advantage of giving him some pre-season and keeping his options open.

TBH I think PB is looking elsewhere and we may now stretch ourselves a bit more to secure alternative targets. Noel always needed a proper pre-season and this farting around is not going to provide it.

When we won 2-1 at Portsmouth about 18 months ago I was in the main stand. The home fans were their biggest problem. Straight on the players backs from the first minute. I knew we would win as they played in total fear. This has since been confirmed by a Pompey fan to me, who said home games were a disadvantage for them last season.

They may well be totally p***** off with the way things have gone but that's not the fault of the 11 on the pitch at the moment. Lots of changes in the modern game, none more so than the fans. I remember going there in the eighties and both Southend players and fans were relieved when Merve the swerve let a couple of soft goals in, as all of us were in total fear.

I'm not sure why we, like Walsall with their out of contract players, didn't set a deadline. The Moussa/Hunt sagas have run on too long (I know Moussa's is now sorted), but had we set a deadline and it had come and gone without him signing, then we move on to replacements.

I'm not sure why we, like Walsall with their out of contract players, didn't set a deadline. The Moussa/Hunt sagas have run on too long (I know Moussa's is now sorted), but had we set a deadline and it had come and gone without him signing, then we move on to replacements.

I think we play the game to. We say this really needs to be sorted by hinting the threat but not actually making it black and white. Meanwhile we are also looking elsewhere, If Noel comes back in two weeks and say ok I accept I suspect the answer will likely be we have something else sorted- however just in case we don't the door is slightly ajar. I have noted this year we have a distinct tendency to go for younger players- Demetriou, Oxley, McGlashan, Ranger all in their early mid 20s- Rosenthal is very early 20s, Murray 24, Gunning 25..

I think everyone now knows that whatever contract was put in front of him by Southend won't be signed...

Good luck Noel.... Next...:smile:

Thank god he has gone,good player when fit but fitness was the problem.

Got a six month ban from this site saying hunt was a croc, stating the stats of games played over the last few years, told the truth about the Roslin (yes hunt and brown have something to do with it) and loads of other stuff, told how I saw players out on the raz ( of course the hermits that don't get out and about dismiss all this, you get a ban for talking (truth) down our club.

Back