• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anybody who traveled away...north of Watford or south of Aldershot,will remember being called ..cockney this cockney that....
we always used to sing back..
we"re not cockneys we"re SARFENDERS.......

we are not cockneys coz ..
we can read &write,talk English and we dont walk like a penguin or "flash Harry"

or as our good mate and fan"Fertie" said to us on our way to Exeter..71-72 season..i know an anti Exeter song,went so..
(Exeters "end" was on the side called COW SHED")

1,2,3,4,..listen to the Cow Shed roar.....MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Lived in Exeter for 5 years(great place),saw many a Exeter home game,but never heard that song again
Top bloke "Fertie"...malcom??

We aint got very good manners,
we fight with hatchets and spanners.
We need new recruits with Doc Marten boots.
Side by side.

Reading this thread has bought memories of many a chaotic Friday evening spent on the North Bank. I'm surprised myself at some of the songs we used to sing and think they would probably result in a banning order in this day and age, but they are certainly relevant to any document of life as a teenager following SUFC and youth culture in general in the late 60's early 70's.

We aint got very good manners,
we fight with hatchets and spanners.
We need new recruits with Doc Marten boots.
Side by side.

Reading this thread has bought memories of many a chaotic Friday evening spent on the North Bank. I'm surprised myself at some of the songs we used to sing and think they would probably result in a banning order in this day and age, but they are certainly relevant to any document of life as a teenager following SUFC and youth culture in general in the late 60's early 70's.
at the end of this song I'm sure it was finished off with, "get of my sister" :unsure:

Na , Na , Na , Na , Na ,Na , Na , Na , Whey Hey Hey , Bill Garner , sung to the tune Kiss him Goodbye , by Steam , also Oh Gary , Gary , Gary Gary Gary Gary Moore , sung to the tune Son of My Father by Chicory Tip .

Bertie Mee said to Bill Shankly,
Have you heard of the North Bank Highbury,
Shanks said No I don't think so,
But I've heard of the Southend North Bank.
La la la la la la etc

was at Workington .t.(away)..71-72...when Jaffa and another L.C lad,who had hitched it up to Wton(OS knows his name),got onto the Brother Grimm coach for the trip home.It was that trip-day that Jaffa "taught" us that song.
Had never been heard by anybody,(Southend) till that day..and has been "loved" ever since,at least by me.
A song that will alway remind me of Jaffa and the Workington trip home.
Sadly,most people dont remember..Mee..Shankly....or worst of all --our home.. the NORTH BANK

tip toe through the North Bank.
with your boots on,
get your head kicked in .
so tiptoe through the North Bank with me.

reading these old songs,i am really now surprised how violent-they were!!
Would-could never happen now??

I do like to be beside the seaside
I do like to be beside the sea
With a bucket and a spade
And a f***ing hand grenade
Beside the seaside, beside the sea....

Sea Sea Seasiders....

Right you lot. On Sunday you will have a genuine chance to roll back the years and sing an old song that will make one old Southend hero very happy. When Derek Spence comes on the pitch just before kick off we can all sing "Derek Spence is an in-ter-national". When we get nearer to Sunday I'll post up a separate thread re this as it's something I reckon could be a real wonderful Roots Hall moment.

Right you lot. On Sunday you will have a genuine chance to roll back the years and sing an old song that will make one old Southend hero very happy. When Derek Spence comes on the pitch just before kick off we can all sing "Derek Spence is an in-ter-national". When we get nearer to Sunday I'll post up a separate thread re this as it's something I reckon could be a real wonderful Roots Hall moment.

Or the Lip Up Fatim, Lip up Fatim Fatim Mercer, Mercer

"Danny Greaves, Danny Greaves, Chesterfield are nothing to be scared of"

To the tune of 'Prince Charming'

was at Workington .t.(away)..71-72...when Jaffa and another L.C lad,who had hitched it up to Wton(OS knows his name),got onto the Brother Grimm coach for the trip home.It was that trip-day that Jaffa "taught" us that song.
Had never been heard by anybody,(Southend) till that day..and has been "loved" ever since,at least by me.
A song that will alway remind me of Jaffa and the Workington trip home.
Sadly,most people dont remember..Mee..Shankly....or worst of all --our home.. the NORTH BANK
About a dozen old Leigh Comm went to Jaffas wedding a couple of months ago , not bad still all friends after 47 years .

About a dozen old Leigh Comm went to Jaffas wedding a couple of months ago , not bad still all friends after 47 years .

And had it been at a bigger venue, he would have invited more, and there would have been 20 of us there.
The other guy who hitched it to Workington with him was I think Pete Maslanka. He spoke several times over the years of being there, and watching the tide come in on a part of the ground???. Never went there, so no idea if this was possible.

Back