• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

First game of the 2002/3 season. Sat 10th August away to Hull. Maybe the worst football watching Southend that season in years gone by. We had 3 Managers that season, Stewart Robson, Steve Wignall and Rob Newman. We finished 17th in Division 3(4). The top scorer was Rawle with 12 goals.

The scorers here are Jenkins and Bramble.
[video=youtube;0yLraFt5dfM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yLraFt5dfM[/video]
Stewart Robson what a joke , is he still in football .

First game of the 2002/3 season. Sat 10th August away to Hull. Maybe the worst football watching Southend that season in years gone by. We had 3 Managers that season, Stewart Robson, Steve Wignall and Rob Newman. We finished 17th in Division 3(4). The top scorer was Rawle with 12 goals.

The scorers here are Jenkins and Bramble.
[video=youtube;0yLraFt5dfM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yLraFt5dfM[/video]

that season was memorable for two things:

only 3 draws all season and the Leon Cort masterclass at home to Boston.

Did anyone go to the game against Cambridge Utd @1972? I believe we'd already been promoted and went down 2-1 and there was around 18,000 to watch

Did anyone go to the game against Cambridge Utd @1972? I believe we'd already been promoted and went down 2-1 and there was around 18,000 to watch

Yes, 17,059 did to be precise.

Promotion was achieved the following Tuesday at Scunthorpe.

I was gutted that I couldn't go as I was having my tonsils out in Southend Hospital. Could see the South Bank from my bed and had to settle for commentary on the hospital radio

I was there, didn't Spud Taylor end up in goal?

Yes he did. Our £100 signing from Canvey, Peter Taylor went in goal after Derek Bellotti was injured early in the game. Strange season that one for a few reasons. The mini tour of Russia before the start of the season. Tony Bentley gets his second testimonial match, also before the start of the season against Stoke City. We go on a 14 match unbeaten run and look certs to be Division 4 Champions before that Cambridge Game, and we blow the title by drawing the last 3 games. Something that won't be allowed to happen these days...We play Gillingham away then home our last 2 games.

Yes he did. Our £100 signing from Canvey, Peter Taylor went in goal after Derek Bellotti was injured early in the game. Strange season that one for a few reasons. The mini tour of Russia before the start of the season. Tony Bentley gets his second testimonial match, also before the start of the season against Stoke City. We go on a 14 match unbeaten run and look certs to be Division 4 Champions before that Cambridge Game, and we blow the title by drawing the last 3 games. Something that won't be allowed to happen these days...We play Gillingham away then home our last 2 games.

I was there as well. Spud was on the bench (just 1 sub in those days) that evening. He came on when Bellotti went off with a dislocated collar bone. Dennis Booth, if memory serves, took over from Taylor that evening as well.

yes,was at both games.
The Cambridge game was my birthday..no present!!
But on tuesday,away Scuni, one coach of our fans(Brother Grimm)..but we done the job..king Billy(i think) 1-1

After Gillingham away we had one game at home left against , Gillingham .

After Gillingham away we had one game at home left against , Gillingham .

That's what I said S.

Funnily enough, I initially read your post 'Seventies' as Gillingham (Away) and then 2 home games (opposition not named), but now you've pointed it out, it makes sense.

Another very good one of the old South Bank. I could well be in that photo somewhere, as the quieter matches I went and stood on that great part of the ground.

27867914_10210948759022725_4121868043337593439_n.jpg

Superb photo!

It's funny. When you see photos of the old South Bank, it always seems to look smaller than it was!

Trying to date that photo 'seventies'.

I'd say 1987 or 88 possibly?

Edit : I've narrowed it down to 1985-86. Now, which game!

Last edited:
Right, it all depends on whether that's Warren May or Micky Stead wearing number 2.

8 is Bazza Silkman, 7 is Clarky, 6 is Hatter. 9 is Cadette.

Who is that between Silkman and Hatter. He also seems to be wearing number 2 !?

Right, it all depends on whether that's Warren May or Micky Stead wearing number 2.

8 is Bazza Silkman, 7 is Clarky, 6 is Hatter. 9 is Cadette.

Who is that between Silkman and Hatter. He also seems to be wearing number 2 !?

Not sure, think he is number twenty something.

H0LP02.jpg

It does look like a 2, but squad numbers didn't exist then, so it can only be a number from 2 to 12, unless he borrowed someone else's shirt!

Back