• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Lampard would fit within that season, so yep it must be him, as the squad didn't seem to have anyone else it could be that season.

The key is whether that's May or Stead wearing 2.

I think it's Warren May, which should make dating it easier.

Looking at the fact it has to be a Saturday game and most were Friday nights.

Also, looking at the players involved.

Plus the oppo kit.

I think it's Peterborough on 29th March 1986 or Scunthorpe on 14th September 1985, though I can't see why Scunthorpe would have changed their kit.

Because of Barry Silkman, it's the 85/86 season, with this kit.
southend_united_1985-1986-k.gif

Yep, spot on.

I guess there wasn't any info with the photo about the match itself?

It has to be the Peterborough match, as this and the Scunthorpe match were the only two that had Clarky and Silkman both playing together on a Saturday afternoon and the picture doesn't equate to a September match and the oppo wouldn't have worn white, either.

Anyway, looking at that season, can anyone remember Terry Pryer?

I'd never heard of him, but he played one match, at home to Torquay!

It has to be the Peterborough match, as this and the Scunthorpe match were the only two that had Clarky and Silkman both playing together on a Saturday afternoon and the picture doesn't equate to a September match and the oppo wouldn't have worn white, either.

Anyway, looking at that season, can anyone remember Terry Pryer?

I'd never heard of him, but he played one match, at home to Torquay!

Looking it up he was a central defender that signed in 1985 but only played twice.

Yep, he also made a sub appearance in the Freight Rover Trophy tie against Northampton.

A distinguished career!

Bit more on that match the photo appears to be from.

It was Easter Saturday and the crowd was a whopping 1,687!

Bearing in mind we finished 9th in Division Three that season, it's an appalling effort.

Peterborough won 1-0!

I've just tried to dig out the programmes, but only had the Scunthorpe match which has no mention of kit colours; however it does have a nice advert urging supporters to contact councillors and support the new stadium which will eliminate our debts...groundhog day moment. I also found an FA Youth Cup 3rd round 85/86 programme when we played Southampton, who had a young Matthew le Tiffier (their spelling not mine) playing. I seem to remember we got trollied that evening. Really weird thing is as the match kicked off early I can remember getting home in time to watch Blackadder 2...can't remember what I had for breakfast but that night is as clear as if it was yesterday.

Top research 'e for b'

I'd like to see that advert for the new stadium! .. Quality! :smile::thumbsup:

My team of researchers have concluded their findings and it can only be the Peterborough match and that, as you say, is Frank Lampard in the middle of that photo, though it still looks like a number 2 to me!

Another very good one of the old South Bank. I could well be in that photo somewhere, as the quieter matches I went and stood on that great part of the ground.

27867914_10210948759022725_4121868043337593439_n.jpg

Great photo and unfortunately how I remember the South Bank for most matches empty! Probably a few away fans in that photo as we didn't have any segregation back then. Think we were one of the last grounds not to have segregation (apart from the odd big game). Segregation brought in around the the time we sadly chopped the South Bank down about 1989.

We had 10 home league crowds below 2,000 in the 1985/6 season including our lowest ever home league crowd of 1,006 v Halifax.

Wasn't only our problem though as plenty of away games below 2,000 as well. Football was really on its knees back then.

Top research 'e for b'

I'd like to see that advert for the new stadium! .. Quality! :smile::thumbsup:

My team of researchers have concluded their findings and it can only be the Peterborough match and that, as you say, is Frank Lampard in the middle of that photo, though it still looks like a number 2 to me!

I would upload a photo of the advert, but I can't upload photos anymore; I don't know why as it never used to be a problem.

Bit more on that match the photo appears to be from.

It was Easter Saturday and the crowd was a whopping 1,687!

Bearing in mind we finished 9th in Division Three that season, it's an appalling effort.

Peterborough won 1-0!

Easter certainly pulled in the crowds. The previous two matches attracted just 2,511 between them.

Looking at the fact it has to be a Saturday game and most were Friday nights.

Also, looking at the players involved.

Plus the oppo kit.

I think it's Peterborough on 29th March 1986 or Scunthorpe on 14th September 1985, though I can't see why Scunthorpe would have changed their kit.

Was excited for a second there as the latter was my first ever game! Since seen your confirmed findings though - great work.

Back