• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bit more on that match the photo appears to be from.

It was Easter Saturday and the crowd was a whopping 1,687!

Bearing in mind we finished 9th in Division Three that season, it's an appalling effort.

Peterborough won 1-0!

Good Lord! .. There's an error in Peter Mason's book! :omg::omg:

That season was, of course, in Division Four. The book says Division Three for some reason.

That said, It's still a dreadful crowd for an Easter fixture.

Was excited for a second there as the latter was my first ever game! Since seen your confirmed findings though - great work.

It could have been either game 'Leo' in truth. The only difference in personnel was whether Number 2 was Micky Stead or Warren May in the pic.

The deciding factor was the trees in the background. Being deciduous, they would have had leaves on them in September.

It could have been either game 'Leo' in truth. The only difference in personnel was whether Number 2 was Micky Stead or Warren May in the pic.

The deciding factor was the trees in the background. Being deciduous, they would have had leaves on them in September.

Impressive work! Even though it was my first game, I can't remember what Scunny were wearing - presumably their claret and blue as it wouldn't have been a clash with our royal blue and yellow.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scunthorpe_United/Scunthorpe_United.htm

I'd actually forgotten they had switched to that kit. I recall them in the red kit a lot, when I was younger.

It's a shame that website doesn't include change kits, as that would show who would have worn white. I'm pretty sure Peterborough did, anyway.

The photo just didn't look like it was taken in September. The supporters wearing coats and gloves and the pitch looked a bit more worn than it would in September.

I'd actually forgotten they had switched to that kit. I recall them in the red kit a lot, when I was younger.

It's a shame that website doesn't include change kits, as that would show who would have worn white. I'm pretty sure Peterborough did, anyway.

The photo just didn't look like it was taken in September. The supporters wearing coats and gloves and the pitch looked a bit more worn than it would in September.

One quarter of the Peterborough team + sub that day was made up of ex-Southend players.

The clue could be the red socks. Over the years Peterborough incorporate red into a few of their kits.
Has anyone tried to work out where the ball is, if Paul Clark is looking at it then it has gone into orbit. Unless it is a spot the ball picture and the ball has been erased.

Great question about the ball.

Looks like it might have been a half cleared corner that has been hoofed/lobbed back towards the goal with Clarky trying to get on the end of it. Certainly the Peterborough players appear to have stepped up and are now turning to defend again. The keeper seems to be on his line.

Yeah, it is a shame - but I can't have many complaints about that otherwise excellent site! They do have away kit history for some of the top flight sides but I guess it becomes very tricky for the likes of us SUFCs...

Another very good one of the old South Bank. I could well be in that photo somewhere, as the quieter matches I went and stood on that great part of the ground.

27867914_10210948759022725_4121868043337593439_n.jpg
Very surprised I cannot see our “South Bank Debating Society “,usually about a dozen of us,ex SHSB,positioned high above the goal,usually only moving slightly eastward if there were a lot of aggressive away fans!

Unless my memory is a lot worse than I thought ,he was a young,quite short right-winger.

Interesting point as his only start he wore the number 10 shirt, apparently, so that suggests you are right.

I've not got a clue. I couldn't even find a photo of him, let alone a Wikipedia entry.

Great question about the ball.

Looks like it might have been a half cleared corner that has been hoofed/lobbed back towards the goal with Clarky trying to get on the end of it. Certainly the Peterborough players appear to have stepped up and are now turning to defend again. The keeper seems to be on his line.

Looking again at the Silkman and if I was a betting man, I think it's he who the ball was cleared to and has just lobbed it back into the box.

Edit : I've just spotted the ball. Took a while!

Looking again at the Silkman and if I was a betting man, I think it's he who the ball was cleared to and has just lobbed it back into the box.

Edit : I've just spotted the ball. Took a while!

Yes just spotted it as well.
I remember once winning the £100 near miss prize in the Evening Echo spot the ball competition.

It has to be the Peterborough match, as this and the Scunthorpe match were the only two that had Clarky and Silkman both playing together on a Saturday afternoon and the picture doesn't equate to a September match and the oppo wouldn't have worn white, either.

Anyway, looking at that season, can anyone remember Terry Pryer?

I'd never heard of him, but he played one match, at home to Torquay!

andy, you say it has to be the Peterborough match, but in that game Pennyfather was No.3 and Lampard was No.4. That picture clearly shows that Lampard was wearing a 3 that day.

Yes just spotted it as well.
I remember once winning the £100 near miss prize in the Evening Echo spot the ball competition.

Loved the old 'spot the ball' in The Echo. Don't think I ever won a bean, though.

With the ball in that photo, I actually got it once I realized Silkman had lobbed it back in and seeing where Clarky was looking up to.

andy, you say it has to be the Peterborough match, but in that game Pennyfather was No.3 and Lampard was No.4. That picture clearly shows that Lampard was wearing a 3 that day.

I did think that, as well, but it can't be any other game, by process of elimination.

It could be that Peter Mason kept Pennyfather in the Number 3 column in his book, for consistency. It was the only game Lampard featured in at the end of that season. Lampard probably wore 3 that day (his normal number) and Pennyfather switched to 4.

If you work that season through, there is no other game it could be.

Top research 'e for b'

I'd like to see that advert for the new stadium! .. Quality! :smile::thumbsup:

My team of researchers have concluded their findings and it can only be the Peterborough match and that, as you say, is Frank Lampard in the middle of that photo, though it still looks like a number 2 to me!
Who would the big black away team guy be just in front of Richard Caddete

Back