• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Overrated managers

There was that world cup winning captain who managed Southend , also that Liverpool legend that managed Southend ,the two Redknap managers that he introduced to RM that managed Southend .

The thing is none of them were ever overrated

There was that world cup winning captain who managed Southend , also that Liverpool legend that managed Southend ,the two Redknap managers that he introduced to RM that managed Southend .
Your forgetting Alvin Martin former England international at least he didn’t try management again and he has supplied us by sounds of it a descent goalkeeper and coach.

Plenty of managers have won trophies. Di Matteo won the Champions League. Doesn’t make him a great manager. My point is over rated. They way they talk about him in the same breath as the ‘greats’ is embarrassing.

You also make it out like he’s done it on a shoestring. They spent silly money at Liverpool as well, some people seem to forget that.
Using that logic, Pep Guardiola is overrated as well.

In terms of Southend managers, only Ted Fenton was expected to have done better than he did after his long spell at West Ham.

Dave Smith had a decent spell at Mansfield before coming here, so his success was expected, as maybe was Paul Sturrock's and Phil Brown's first spell. Colin Murphy had mixed success before coming here. The rest had limited exposure to management before Southend.

In terms of Southend managers, only Ted Fenton was expected to have done better than he did after his long spell at West Ham.

Dave Smith had a decent spell at Mansfield before coming here, so his success was expected, as maybe was Paul Sturrock's and Phil Brown's first spell. Colin Murphy had mixed success before coming here. The rest had limited exposure to management before Southend.
Suprised you didn't mention Alvin Williams.After all he relegatedc us in his first season 65/6 (for the 1st time in our history to the old 4th Division,failed to get us us up in the next season before pushing off to Wrexham ,where he was later imprisoned for manslaughter IIRC.

Carlo Ancelotti. Bailed out by getting on with the players at Real Madrid, Bayern, PSG, Chelsea, done nothing anywhere where the players aren’t the best in the league with Napoli, Everton. Yeah, he did well with Berlusconi money at Milan, but that was 15 years ago.
I'd be the 1st to say he was poor at Napoli, but Aurellio De Laurentis is not an easy owner/chairman to work for. I really think he is one of the greats, and like most of the greats you can make a case for them being lucky to have certain players or financial backing. These takes are usually obtuse, and I think this one is too.

Max Allegri - was dominant with Juve when they were breaking all kinds of financial fair play rules and spending far more than any other club in the league. His return to Juve has shown him to be short of ideas and a negativity he sells as pragmatism. With the players he has and and no European distraction Juve should be challenging for the scudetto.

I'd be the 1st to say he was poor at Napoli, but Aurellio De Laurentis is not an easy owner/chairman to work for. I really think he is one of the greats, and like most of the greats you can make a case for them being lucky to have certain players or financial backing. These takes are usually obtuse, and I think this one is too.
It is a bit obtuse yep, was thinking of the coaches who have achieved a lot and are thought of as among the very elite but perhaps aren't that good.

Since he's come back to Real Madrid, he's been in La Liga with almost no competition and still managed to lose to Barcelona last season and let Girona keep up for half of this year. In the Champions League, his players bailed him out and I say that as someone who was at the Chelsea and City games at the Bernabéu and saw quite how drastically wrong he set the team up for both but the quality and the players bailed him out.

Perhaps overrated for his whole career is harsh, but I think he gets more credit than he might deserve for what he's done over the last few years considering he was on a real downward trajectory before Real Madrid had nobody else to turn to.

Suprised you didn't mention Alvin Williams.After all he relegatedc us in his first season 65/6 (for the 1st time in our history to the old 4th Division,failed to get us us up in the next season before pushing off to Wrexham ,where he was later imprisoned for manslaughter IIRC.
Williams only spent one season at Hartlepool before us So he was hardly overrated!

Sorry Napster MM and his team were supposed to save us from relegation that wasnt happening so RM got rid of him and bought back EL Tango both failed

Alan Little was manager at York for 6 years!

It is a bit obtuse yep, was thinking of the coaches who have achieved a lot and are thought of as among the very elite but perhaps aren't that good.

Since he's come back to Real Madrid, he's been in La Liga with almost no competition and still managed to lose to Barcelona last season and let Girona keep up for half of this year. In the Champions League, his players bailed him out and I say that as someone who was at the Chelsea and City games at the Bernabéu and saw quite how drastically wrong he set the team up for both but the quality and the players bailed him out.

Perhaps overrated for his whole career is harsh, but I think he gets more credit than he might deserve for what he's done over the last few years considering he was on a real downward trajectory before Real Madrid had nobody else to turn to.
You really dislike the fella, don’t you?

Juventus

AC Milan

Chelsea

Paris Saint-Germain

Real Madrid

Bayern Munich

Plus umpteen awards for his managerial abilities.

Back