• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Julian Bennett. Very brief career with us before going over the barrier into the North Bank in a cup game, never to be seen again
Sorry to be pedantic but I remember it well and I don’t think he went over the wall and it was definitely on the east side touchline,just north of the half-way line.

This ones tinged with some sadness - Martin Aldridge, I recall he was on loan at the back end of the 1997-98 season I remember him scoring in a fine 3-0 home win over Plymouth - he was killed in a car crash a couple of years later.

Sorry to be pedantic but I remember it well and I don’t think he went over the wall and it was definitely on the east side touchline,just north of the half-way line.
Ah yes Mr Bennett. Poor chap, only appearance for us, gets into a good position and momentum from his run leads him to smack into the advertising boards on the East near to the away stand I thought.

East side certainly, nearer the North bank wall. Don't recall it being near halfway.

Wherever it was that he hit (and it was the East side of the North Bank wall :)) he got a healthy shove from the Yeovil player. You see the same sort of thing every week at Roots Hall with the walls being so close to the pitch and it's a wonder that we haven't seen more injuries as a result.
I looked up the date of the incident and was amazed to see that it was only August 2013, and that it was under Phil Brown that he was eventually released.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leke_Odunsi

He was awful, but on his best game for us I remember him scoring, then breaking his leg and he never kicked a ball again :sad:

Odunsi was far from awful.

His team-mate Jamie Fullerton may be a shout (as forgotten, not as awful).

To be fair, a lot of those wouldn't have been well enough known to have been "forgotten" if you know what I mean... but Codner is a good example.

Are you meaning know by Southend fans or known by football fans?

Kevin Lock ex Wet Spam - we always seemed to get the worst brother as his brother Gary was a great full back for Chelsea.

Other bad brothers - Dave and Bob Worthington (brother Frank), Terry Nicholl (brother Chris), Tes Bramble (brother Titus - err maybe we didn't get the worst brother in that instance!

Except it was Gary Locke and not Kevin Lock's brother - and Kevin was a better player than Gary anyway.

Graham Wilkins (as a worse brother) and surely Blair must have had a better Sturrock brother/sister - almost impossible not to have had

EDIT: Always read the previous page!!

Kerrea Gilbert springs to mind. Came on loan with a huge reputation after playing both legs in Arsenal’s league cup semi-final and providing a great assist for a Thierry Henry goal. Made 5 appearances, didn’t impress at all and then began a steady descent down the leagues!

I sitting in the East Stand and really thought it was into the North Bank he went

Totally my recollection. Glad it's not only me that thought that was what happened

Me too, East side of the North Bank.

Kerrea Gilbert springs to mind. Came on loan with a huge reputation after playing both legs in Arsenal’s league cup semi-final and providing a great assist for a Thierry Henry goal. Made 5 appearances, didn’t impress at all and then began a steady descent down the leagues!

Really good friends with our son-in-law, same Academy era, who also played with Michael Turner at Charlton.

Back