• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We used to be a family club. Bobby Moore would have sent Vile Nile packing.

As adults we should be setting the best possible example to our children. What worse example can there possibly be than Vile Nile representing the club after what he has done to family. This whole business must not be about him. It must be about decency. Doing the right thing - not by him but by those in the stadium who do not want him at the club. What an insult to our supporters who feel repulsed by his presence. Their unease should be respected by the club and acted upon. I for one shall be booing Vile Nile.

Do you advocate bringing back hanging too?

I sincerely hope you never have to deal with a loved one who does something criminally wrong and gets caught. What would you do with your "Vile" son or daughter or aunt or cousin?

What about those people in the stadium that DO want him to be given the chance to change and turn his life around? (Me, for one) Why should they not have their opinions respected?

But, whatever any of us think, the only people that will decide are the management & owners of SUFC and that will be on a risk factor of investment vs value. They know the morals and decency of the issue and will weigh that, and the financial investment, against the value both on the pitch and of future sales value. My feelings and your feelings will not sway them one bit.

If you think it's ok to drink 2 pints then drive a few hours after, then I'm truly shocked at people's attitude to drink driving - it's not an 'error of judgement' as Pubey puts it, it's a heck of a lot more serious than that!!!
I don't think it's ok to drink and drive. I think the threshold should be lower to take away the '1 or 2 is ok' argument. I don't know the full facts of what happened with Luke McCormick and whether he made a terrible decision when steaming, or if he intended to drink drive. But either way, I'm sure he didn't set off with the intention to crash into another car

I'm sure he didn't, but he wasn't in control of his vehicle or his actions, so was therefore in charge of a potential manslaughter weapon. Sadly, in his case, it was.

Whilst he didn't intend to kill anyway early that morning, he was sufficiently out of control as to be responsible for their deaths. Hence why he pleaded guilty.

Anyone, when they set foot in something capable of travelling at 90mph, has a responsibility to be safe on the road. Once you have limited or no control over that, you are in the hands of the gods and so are other road users and pedestrians.

I don't think it's ok to drink and drive. I think the threshold should be lower to take away the '1 or 2 is ok' argument. I don't know the full facts of what happened with Luke McCormick and whether he made a terrible decision when steaming, or if he intended to drink drive. But either way, I'm sure he didn't set off with the intention to crash into another car

IMO the limit should be zero or as close as its possible to be.

I'm sure he didn't, but he wasn't in control of his vehicle or his actions, so was therefore in charge of a potential manslaughter weapon. Sadly, in his case, it was.

Whilst he didn't intend to kill anyway early that morning, he was sufficiently out of control as to be responsible for their deaths. Hence why he pleaded guilty.

Anyone, when they set foot in something capable of travelling at 90mph, has a responsibility to be safe on the road. Once you have limited or no control over that, you are in the hands of the gods and so are other road users and pedestrians.

Nasty business with McCormick, anyone who drink drives, whilst speeding and on their phone may as well have a loaded gun in their hand.

At the end of the day he has to live with that on his conscience and abuse whenever he steps out onto the pitch. Nothing compared with the family concerned, which is why I can forgive and support Ranger in his rehab, yes he committed a serious crime but the victim will carry on with their life, McCormicks victims will never do that.

Last edited:
On McCormick, and drink driving, the law should be quite clear - if they can't make it none, which it seems, they're not prepared to - then one pint or equivalent should be the limit. That way you absolutely know if you have a 2nd that you are over.

McCormick's case was a serious error of judgement to drive home, fuelled by alcohol from the night before and arguments with his fiancée. Add in 2 hours sleep and a mad dash at 4:00am down the M6 and you have a deadly mixture. Falling asleep at the wheel on a motorway and that's the blue touch paper to finish it all off.

Remorseful as he was, it underlines that there are no excuses for getting behind the wheel of a vehicle when you are not 100% in control of your actions. That goes for texting while driving and so on.

NR has much previous hence why most clubs steered well clear of him,Last chance for him until next time,then we can all rejoice and give him one last chance.

On McCormick, and drink driving, the law should be quite clear - if they can't make it none, which it seems, they're not prepared to - then one pint or equivalent should be the limit. That way you absolutely know if you have a 2nd that you are over.

I can clearly see you have thought this through OBL.
Sorry Officer... I honestly never touched that second pint of Jim Beam.

We used to be a family club. Bobby Moore would have sent Vile Nile packing.

As adults we should be setting the best possible example to our children. What worse example can there possibly be than Vile Nile representing the club after what he has done to family. This whole business must not be about him. It must be about decency. Doing the right thing - not by him but by those in the stadium who do not want him at the club. What an insult to our supporters who feel repulsed by his presence. Their unease should be respected by the club and acted upon. I for one shall be booing Vile Nile.

Bobby Moore? The alcoholic who cheated on his wife? Great role model for the kids there.

I would say in the drink drive stakes there for the grace of God go I. It was some 30 years back give or take a year. I was playing football in Catford on a Saturday. Private Banks sports club if anyone knows it and if it is still there. Quite regularly the after match meal and drinks degenerated and quite often I'd sleep over and drive home the following morning. On this particular instance I drove home to Eastwood via a drop off at Upminster. To this day I can't answer why I drove or more importantly how I drove. What I do know is I was *********. We're not talking a few beers. On those evenings with a cheap bar if it kicked in the port would come out and then some!

Long story short my dad woke me up the following day to ask why my car was a) parked on the lawn not the drive b) covered in puke on the passenger side where my ride had opened the window and honked. It took me ages to piece together the evening before and even now there are gaps. He didn't lecture me because years before that he would regularly drive home drunk with 3 kids in the car as was commonplace. However I made a vow to that day which I'm pleased to confirm I've honoured. One pint or better none if I'm driving.

The point isn't about me. What happened with McCormick is utterly tragic. Society morals around drink driving has radically changed as have the days of an officer sending you on your way with a be careful message. However I cannnot condemn the man who in the eyes of the law has paid his debt to society as has Ranger who should be afforded the chance to prove he is a man not a ******. I do not in any way underestimate the devastation caused on the family. That's not the point I'm making here

I would say in the drink drive stakes there for the grace of God go I. It was some 30 years back give or take a year. I was playing football in Catford on a Saturday. Private Banks sports club if anyone knows it and if it is still there. Quite regularly the after match meal and drinks degenerated and quite often I'd sleep over and drive home the following morning. On this particular instance I drove home to Eastwood via a drop off at Upminster. To this day I can't answer why I drove or more importantly how I drove. What I do know is I was *********. We're not talking a few beers. On those evenings with a cheap bar if it kicked in the port would come out and then some!

Long story short my dad woke me up the following day to ask why my car was a) parked on the lawn not the drive b) covered in puke on the passenger side where my ride had opened the window and honked. It took me ages to piece together the evening before and even now there are gaps. He didn't lecture me because years before that he would regularly drive home drunk with 3 kids in the car as was commonplace. However I made a vow to that day which I'm pleased to confirm I've honoured. One pint or better none if I'm driving.

The point isn't about me. What happened with McCormick is utterly tragic. Society morals around drink driving has radically changed as have the days of an officer sending you on your way with a be careful message. However I cannnot condemn the man who in the eyes of the law has paid his debt to society as has Ranger who should be afforded the chance to prove he is a man not a ******. I do not in any way underestimate the devastation caused on the family. That's not the point I'm making here

It's all about an error of judgment as you quite rightly say, as long as that person learns from it.

I'm not sure if many on here live or did live in Shoebury, remember Dr Basu? He was a family Doctor for thousands of people for more than 40 years and a real lovely guy.

When he retired his eyes started to go and he didn't report it to the DVLA, one day he was driving near Waitrose and knocked someone over on a crossing and killed them. He got a prison sentence which was really sad for him and the family of the person he killed. This guy saved so many lives with his commitment to medicine and helping people, yet he ended up killing someone with bad judgment.

It was a really sad time, knowing the man as I did.

This thread is slowly but ever so surely slipping away from the original topic of Nile Ranger being in jail and then getting released. Whilst the various aspects of drinking and driving are important social subjects, they aren't much, if anything, to do with Nile coming out of jail. So can we get the thread back on topic. Thanks all.

Good news. Last season showed how important it is to have a player up front who can hold the ball up. MAF can do this, but he won't play 46 games. I wasn't at the match on Tuesday, but it sounded like Theo is not that man. So having Nile back in a few weeks will be vital

Good news. Last season showed how important it is to have a player up front who can hold the ball up. MAF can do this, but he won't play 46 games. I wasn't at the match on Tuesday, but it sounded like Theo is not that man. So having Nile back in a few weeks will be vital

You probably won't see him for a good couple of months if you're lucky.

Back