• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rangers and Scottish football

Hello, Chaps. joined the forum to give a wee insight into Rob Kiernan as a Rangers supporter up here in Glasgow. Rob joined us in 2015 when we were in the lower leagues (well documented not going into it) and after finding his feet looked a fairly average CB that could cope reasonably well with Championship football against part-time teams. He did have a few howlers as I think playing in front of 50k fans nearly every week was a massive step up from anywhere he had been before, so he felt the pressure.
But that was all it was, pressure for playing for such a huge club. nobody booed him or was continually on his back. We were playing part-time teams of painters and decorators mind and yet you could see he couldn't cope.
He has now played for three managers (including an interim one) and has shown the same lack of positioning and ball judgement under them all. More so as we are now back in the Premier, he has really struggled against full-time pro's this season.
it's a shame it never worked out, what fan of a club wouldn't want it to.

so nothing about religion, sectarianism or anything else you guys appear to make up or think you know, but everything about his footballing ability which sadly was not good enough for the most successful team in the world and the biggest team in Scotland.

I hope he does well at your club as this might just be the right fit for him.

I just dont get the comments coming out of Rangers. You say that RK looked decent in the lower leagues but even the Scottish Prem apart from maybe Celtic, Hearts and Aberdeen would struggle in league on, even your boys went out to a non league side in europe, what does that tell you about the state of Scottish football. As for RK, he was excellent for us in the 16 games he played previously and was an important part of the Wigan promotion squad. Maybe playing in Scotland just didnt suit him as certainly the comments made by some Rangers fans about him just dont stack up based on his performances in the english leagues

Disregarded?, not by UEFA, SFA or the SPFL

ask Watford FC or Sheffield Wednesday how we would do? after all, they were on the end of a pre-season friendly defeat to Rangers

This is more like it. Rangers and Celtic would both be a bit like Everton or Aston Villa if they played in England. In 'bums on seats' terms they are clearly big enough to be Premier League. Beyond that they would likely be midtable at present with Celtic threatening the Europa League spots and Rangers currently in quite a bit of discomfort at the wrong end of the table. But with the right investment and management they're both capable as clubs of mixing it at the top.

The rest of the SPL though are a mix of average English Championship quality and a few League One sides. It's that disparity of ability within their own league which makes the achievement of winning the league by either of the Glasgow clubs so unimpressive. For me, I think Scotland should follow Wales' example and the current SPL teams (at least) should all play in what should be rebranded a British league. Say no to Independence! :smile:

Disregarded?, not by UEFA, SFA or the SPFL

ask Watford FC or Sheffield Wednesday how we would do? after all, they were on the end of a pre-season friendly defeat to Rangers

So you don't think that Scottish football is regarded as a joke outside of Scotland? :hilarious:

And if you think that pre season friendlies are a gauge then have another :hilarious:

The only reason they played you is because several thousand deluded fools come down and buy a ticket!

In terms of number of trophies Rangers are the most successful team in the World which they've no problem in telling people about.

They've 54 league titles to start with.

I know that, and that's why I explained about the two horse race in the past, and lack of European trophy thing.

The thing is, Rangers supporters collectively, (there are more than two of you I hope), when Kiernan was here previously on loan he was a pretty impressive CB that we would have loved to have kept. It's pretty obvious that he wasn't success at Ibrox and I'm grateful for your insight into how he performed, or didn't. As with all supporters, we're partisan, and want him back for what we remember of him, not what you think of him. We're not a top club in England but some of the descriptions of our club and this board that your mates on your home board posted were pretty crass. As a result you will probably get some biased views back, that's the way of football message boards. There will always be different opinions about Scottish football dependent on which side of the border you live. Truthfully, I'm indifferent to what happen in the Scottish Prem, got my hands full following Southend in the FL1.

This is more like it. Rangers and Celtic would both be a bit like Everton or Aston Villa if they played in England. In 'bums on seats' terms they are clearly big enough to be Premier League. Beyond that they would likely be midtable at present with Celtic threatening the Europa League spots and Rangers currently in quite a bit of discomfort at the wrong end of the table. But with the right investment and management they're both capable as clubs of mixing it at the top.

Of course if Celtic and Rangers had the Premier League case and their massive home crowds, they'd be in a position to massively improve their squads. Of course Newcastle had access to the cash and massive crowds and it still went pear-shaped for them the season before last.

For all the fears and fuss recently of allowing B teams into the EPL, I actually think the move of Celtic and Rangers to the English leagues represents a much bigger risk in terms of impact and probability. Possibly even by the same sort of riute by allowing them to enter English cup competitions.

So you don't think that Scottish football is regarded as a joke outside of Scotland? :hilarious:

And if you think that pre season friendlies are a gauge then have another :hilarious:

The only reason they played you is because several thousand deluded fools come down and buy a ticket!

No I don't think that and you live in the 70's with that attitude

To be fair I had never heard of your club until big Rob signed for us and I checked who he had been with before. I was surprised you have so little a following being near London and that.

The thing is, Rangers supporters collectively, (there are more than two of you I hope), when Kiernan was here previously on loan he was a pretty impressive CB that we would have loved to have kept. It's pretty obvious that he wasn't success at Ibrox and I'm grateful for your insight into how he performed, or didn't. As with all supporters, we're partisan, and want him back for what we remember of him, not what you think of him. We're not a top club in England but some of the descriptions of our club and this board that your mates on your home board posted were pretty crass. As a result you will probably get some biased views back, that's the way of football message boards. There will always be different opinions about Scottish football dependent on which side of the border you live. Truthfully, I'm indifferent to what happen in the Scottish Prem, got my hands full following Southend in the FL1.

passion, we are a passionate loyal bunch and when we see players not doing what we think should be there best it is discussed openly and honestly. He is not good enough for us but may just have found his correct level with you. Good luck to the lad.

The other thing is that, going way back, there were times when Rangers and Celtic finished miles clear in points to the rest of the field because all the other teams were part-time as well as being much smaller clubs. Even with the demise of Rangers last few years, no club outside the Old Firm has won the title since the 1984–85 season, when the Aberdeen side managed by Alex Ferguson won the Premier Division. That's how pathetic that league has been.

To be fair I had never heard of your club until big Rob signed for us and I checked who he had been with before. I was surprised you have so little a following being near London and that.

Being near London is an absolute killer for clubs like us. There are two train lines out of Southend into London both of which mean that you can be in central London is less than 90 minutes. West Ham is literally 50 minutes up one of the lines with the lure of the Olympic stadium as well. Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs just a short hop away. We have a core fan base of around 7k which is pretty good in the circumstances and a ground that is far older than you are when ever you were born.
We desperately need a new ground to start competing with the hordes of other clubs in close proximity from the Prem and Championship.

passion, we are a passionate loyal bunch and when we see players not doing what we think should be there best it is discussed openly and honestly. He is not good enough for us but may just have found his correct level with you. Good luck to the lad.
All clubs have passionate loyal fans, and you are absolutely right to discuss stuff openly and honestly, keep doing it. But the bollocks that some of your number churned out about Southend as club and it's supporters was, I think, very difficult to file under the open and honest category. I've said my bit now, so good luck for next season.

Ok Gers fans.
Southend United are the most successful team in Essex.
Means about as much as Rangers being most successful in Scotland.
IF Rangers or cektic were actually half the draw they believe they are - the Prem would use its muscle and money to fudge rules and get them in.
But they have absolutely no need to do that.

Dunno if thats true when comparing trophies won by Essex teams

Ilford have won the Essex senior cup 13 times, us once and a couple of titles and a cup, so basically Ilford are the best team in Essex, unless someone knows better on the trophy front for teams in Essex:smile::winking:

UTS

As RHB says above, being near London is a hinderance not a benefit. We have to compete with all the London clubs, and Southend historically is a migration destination for Londoners, so many who migrated here over the past 50 years did so and brought their teams allegiances with them. Hence so many support West Ham around here, plus Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea etc.

Even though we have such a small following we still get bigger crowds than all but 4 of the Scottish Premier Clubs and based on attendances would be the 5th biggest club in Scotland. .:raspberry:

Back