• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of vitriol towards SUFC fans on Twitter.

Many ranting about 12 vile Southend fans jumping a lone gentle Cambridge supporter. Not factually correct, but I’m not going to chip in for fear of being trolled. No one deserves what happened to Simon, but you go looking for trouble, you generally find it. Which is why I avoid it at all costs.

Sad day, for the victims family and the image football as a whole.

Well seeing as his delightful wife has said it was out of the blue and he was laughing and joking the day before, I would suspect Essex Police are wasting their time.

I wonder if she managed to speak to the newspaper without using the 'f' and 'c' words this time, she was very fond of their use in the courtroom.

Could have been a hemorrhage caused from his injuries who knows? His condition the day before isn't really relevant.

I think we can forgive his wife venting her anger at the culprits at the only opportunity she'll get.

Now headlining on Sky news and saying police will review the initial investigation.

Well seeing as his delightful wife has said it was out of the blue and he was laughing and joking the day before, I would suspect Essex Police are wasting their time.

I wonder if she managed to speak to the newspaper without using the 'f' and 'c' words this time, she was very fond of their use in the courtroom.

I think the only thing that is an issue is whether his death can be attributed to the original attack. You'd be hard pressed to argue otherwise. Either way, that would be for people far more qualified than you or me to decide.

To me it doesn't really matter what his wife is like. Firstly, I wouldn't blame her if she lost control for a time, and secondly, it wasn't her that was attacked.

What are you hoping for?

Well, if people have already been convicted and he's now passed away it stands to reason that they should be retried for murder...

Obviously it would then be up the courts to decide what course of action to take, but they should at least be asked to make a decision.

Well, if people have already been convicted and he's now passed away it stands to reason that they should be retried for murder...

Obviously it would then be up the courts to decide what course of action to take, but they should at least be asked to make a decision.
Murder? I’m sorry mate but Murder is a premeditated action to kill somebody
This was a scrap in the street started by the man who has sadly died

Murder? I’m sorry mate but Murder is a premeditated action to kill somebody
This was a scrap in the street started by the man who has sadly died

Not murder but definitely manslaughter. Not dragging this topic on, i heard many stories about that day so I don't know what the real truth is. Unfortunately one fact is the actions of whoever attacked him have ultimately resulted in his death.

Interesting but I doubt the CPS will want to go with it.
If the charges had been across the range of assault crimes, abh, gbh etc then there might have been more likelihood of that.
The public order charges were put, iirc, because individual actions couldn't be proved to a high enough threshold.
For murder, an intent to kill isn't required, just a reasonable persons perception that a serious injury would be a result which could be life threatening; for example stabbing someone with a large blade, striking head with hammer, repeatedly kicking head of person on floor etc.
And with a murder charge then does the "year and a day" still apply or has that been amended?
A manslaughter conviction is usually available to a jury as an alternative conviction finding.

With the seemingly rising gang violence across the UK, someone with some influence may consider that this case could be a used to send a strong message of standards and consequences from thuggery.

It not what Cambridge fans think. The only people that matter are his family..

I remember when Essex Fire Brigade killed someone going through red lights at Thames Drive....Some buffoon thought it a good idea to send a couple of bods in uniform to show support at the funeral. I'm told the victim's sons chased them out of the church.

Like others have said, the trust should reach out first and see whether it would be welcome or not.

However, there is the real possibility that there may be another court case with 15/20 year sentences on the line. People who kept quiet may well not this time and things will get very ugly. There may be worse to come so be careful not to be seen as jumping on the grief band wagon.

Is there a chance that the previously jailed attackers could now be facing murder or manslaughter charges then? I’m not really sure how this sort of thing works.

Is there a chance that the previously jailed attackers could now be facing murder or manslaughter charges then? I’m not really sure how this sort of thing works.
Someone else got charged for the death of a man 5 years after an assault.

It's possible, if the substantial cause of death was injuries sustained in the attack then those involved could face murder/voluntary manslaughter.

Not sure how it works if they've already served their sentence though, I think new evidence would have to arise. Medical evidence could be incriminating though.

Someone else got charged for the death of a man 5 years after an assault.

It's possible, if the substantial cause of death was injuries sustained in the attack then those involved could face murder/voluntary manslaughter.

Not sure how it works if they've already served their sentence though, I think new evidence would have to arise. Medical evidence could be incriminating though.

That’s interesting. I imagine there’s a few squeaky bums around town this morning then.

Have a look on the verdicts thread. This case is more complicated than the ones used as an example because it involves 12 people and different charges. Plus some previous prosecution witnesses could also open them selves up for perjury charges, so the police and family may not see it as in their interest to further prosecute.

When I found out about the vicious assault on Simon, it was the most disgusted I've ever felt about wearing the same colours as the perpetrators. It still rankles with me to this day that what happened to Simon happened. Will happily donate or contribute to whichever charity or initiative Simon's widow suggests, if she does so.

That’s interesting. I imagine there’s a few squeaky bums around town this morning then.
Hopefully they will face the harshest punishment but I think there will have to be some publicity to get the case back in court. I still feel very uneasy about the fact it was our own fans that committed such a terrible act.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t the old bill say that they believed the attack was actually carried out by three or four people, but as they couldn’t determine who they were, they had to charge everyone who was in the vicinity with a lesser crime, to ensure they got some form of conviction?

If they knew they couldn’t make a GBH charge stick - or a charge similar to that - then why would a murder/manslaughter charge be considered by the CPS?

Last edited:
Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t the old bill say that they believed the attack was actually carried out by three of four people, but as they couldn’t determine who they were, they had to charge everyone who was in the vicinity with a lesser crime, to ensure they got some form of conviction?

If they knew they couldn’t make a GBH charge stick - or a charge similar to that - then why would a murder/manslaughter charge be considered by the CPS?

Would the threat of a joint enterprise conviction not get some of them talking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back