• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Excellent result, especially in view of the results around us - without a win we'd have fallen behind in the race.

A very hard match. How did that end up 1-0? Both sides looked like scoring goals. Never seen a team do that before.........Shrewsbury went to 2-6-2 for quite a while in the first half. 4 on the trot, happy days.

Good win, none conceded and held our own. I do wish we could convert a few more of our chances however, it makes life a bit easier over the last five minutes. Not a complaint, I'm happy, just an observation.

Not a great game, Shrewsbury looked a decent team though and played some good stuff.

As for converting chances I bet Shrewsbury wish that more than we do....

Not a great game, Shrewsbury looked a decent team though and played some good stuff.

As for converting chances I bet Shrewsbury wish that more than we do....

True, and probably they will say as much on their fans site. I, however, don't give a monkeys what they wish, losers!!

A very bright start to match with not only the winning goal so early but both sides coming very close on several times. Thought they looked a decent side so a very good win with a number of solid performances especially IMHO from both centre backs with Thompson looking a hugely improved player from his earlier games for us.

Didn't play too well at all, but always the sign of a good team to win when not playing well.

Bentley 6 - couple of good saves but some suspect distribution, solid overall.
White 7 - great cross for the first goal and looked composed and consistent the whole game.
Thompson 7 - little shaky at times but dealt with everything that came his way against some physical players.
Prosser 8 - absolute class, few very important last ditch tackles and won virtually everything.
Williams 7 - looks a great player and was a real threat when going forward.
Deegan 7 - another quality game, build up for the goal was excellent and never stopped working.
Clifford 6 - steady performance and didn't do much wrong.
Payne 6 - did well but struggled a bit against a physical side and was obviously earmarked for extra attention by Shrewsbury.
Hurst 6 - good link up play with White but wasn't too much of a threat.
Coulthirst 7 - took his goal well and worked hard but went a bit quiet after that.
Weston 5 - one to forget for Westy. Some good moments but just didn't happen for him today.

Man of the match for me was their number 4, Ryan Woods. Looked a class above today. Like a little League 2 Scholes! Left foot, right foot, outside of the boot, his distribution and work rate was excellent.

All in all it was a good result against one of the better teams in this league. Ref got the red card right as it was a terrible challenge and could have done Bentley some serious damage. 4 in a row and onto the next, COYB!

Great result today, though when Shrews went down to 10 men, we withdrew into our shell and I was waiting for them to score.

Coulthirst looks a different player, chasing and challenging everything. He looked to be playing more down the centre until Corr came on and it suits him.

Deegan was my mom again. Was everywhere as saved us umpteen times.

Extract from Shrewsbury fans site, seems this one was impressed 'Southend are a good team who will probably be battling for promotion at the end of the season so it's no disgrace to lose to them by a single goal'.

Can only go by what I heard via Blues Player. We sound like a decent team, everyone putting in a decent shift (but obviously some having a better day than others), we have now had a couple of VERY nervy ends to the games, but this season we at least seem to be holding firm and keeping our concentration to the final whistle and finally, we are not getting so many cards.

I said before game in pre match thread this would be the top two at end of season and nothing changed in my views. A very very impressive win for us today against one of the best sides I have seen here in donkeys years. Ryan Woods is some player and the way we defended second half was excellent. I thought any of John White, Shaq Coulthirst, Luke Prosser or Jerome Williams could have taken the MOM award.
I have to say though I thought the whole team carried Weston today. Lazy is all I can describe today's effort from him. That ball across the box was Cross of the Season and not a sniff of effort to get in danger zone.

Too many positives though and Five point advantage over this lot could be crucial come end of season shake up
Ref excellent too.

This result will look good at the end of the season. If im not mistaken the Shews will be there, or there abouts, come the run in at the back end of this campaign. Anyway well done Southend.

Good result against a strong Shrewsbury side.

Liam Lawrence was bossing the midfield and Brown was screaming at Deegan to "get in his f**king face". was suprised when he was Subbed, and he was none to happy when he reached the dugout!!

Its the "grind out " results like this that can determine your season.

12 from 12 onwards and upwards.

Dirty gritty one nil win.....Shrewsbury good possesion team....although no real cutting edge in box, they flooded the midfield area at times. Pleased for shaq....chuffed with 3 points. MOM for me was Prosser....becoming a leader out there

The Roots Hall ROAR. Great noise gents. Almost 7,000 in attendance. 15:02 and there was no mistaking that was 1-0... Three points, clean sheet, no bookings, a goal for Coulthirst and sounds like the kind of win you have to grind out to WIN A LEAGUE TITLE. Four straight wins, that is fantastic form. Looking forward to my first match there next week, great result, well done all.

Last edited:
Back