• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ricey

I’m a Mod, that’s unpossible⭐⭐
Staff member
Please post your match reports and ratings here.

What a cracking result, would love to hear how they actually played though. Did O'Neill play well?

O'Neill was very very good before his injury substitution. He has pace and is tall, worked the line from the start overlapping well when going forward. He set up the first goal with a 60yard cross field, right to left wing to Strakes who controlled, beat his man and crossed to Hursty at far post to put cleanly away. The lad looked really distressed with ice on his shin and that might be the old injury curse back for him.

O'Neil would be a cracking signing if he stays fit, and plays as well as he did in the little time he had.
I would do a team rating but every player did their jobs so well that they would all get at least a 7.
Dan Bentley showed what a quality keep he is becoming. Wasn't called on much really until the 60th minute, but was still alert and made every shot look so easy to deal with. Top notch save from a volley which he must have seen late.
Leonard showed why he's captain. Covered every blade of grass, and good finish for the goal.

Excellent victory today - We have now won more league games at home than the whole of last season.
Thought it was pretty even until O'Neill hit a cracking pass to Strakes who with an excellent first touch fleeced his man & put in a great cross for Hursty to tap in. After that we ruled supreme scored 2 more good goals & made Chesterfield look poor.
Great effort again from our lads who won the ball back on numerous occasions & were hungry throughout.
MOM -Lenny - Everyone else not far behind - Thought O'Neill looked class & hope he's back next week.

The team are playing as a well oiled unit. There is a great unity between the players, you can see that, especially with the 2nd and 3rd goals.

Bentley - 9 Great penalty save, super tip over near the end and a good save with his legs from Roberts late on.
Coker - 8.5 What an engine this lad has, up and down all day
Phillips - 7 Worryingly the weak link at the moment. Too many times today let the ball bounce when he should have attacked it.
Prosser - 8 Performance we regularly expect from Prosser now.
O'Neill - 8 Just for that cross field ball to Straker. Oh my word, what vision. Shame about the injury, looks rather accomplished at RB
Leonard - 9.5 Controlled display and drives forward at every opportunity MOM
Timlin - 9 110% workrate, chased everything and broke up play
Atkinson - 9 Covers every blade of grass and works tirelessly
Straker - 9 Awesome display again today. We had the good Strakes today, great ball in for Hurst's goal
Hurst - 8.5 Gets another goal and interacts so well as part of a front three
Corr 9 Not been at his best lately but today was on top form. So much good link up play with the midfiled, hold up play was brilliant and what a goal.

Subs

Thompson - 8 Did well at RB and what a through ball for Corr's goal. Inch perfect
Woodrow - 8 Looked sharp and quick and hungry for the ball
Eastwood - Not really a lot of time to judge, didn't really get into the game at all

I like the way the midfield are working, lots of little passes in a small space that releases one of them, much like for Leonard's goal. There is always one space to be the runner and it just creates space and panic for the opposing team.

Ref - 8 Think the ref had a good game, though he did bottle it with the second yellow for the Chesterfield number 5. The penalty never was in a million years, looked like he was evening it up after not giving Roberts a penalty for his first half dive in the area.

Phil Brown - Has won me round. He made an abortion of Wembley and the last few games of this season but he has turned things around and created a very good footballing team which has great unity, work ethic and belief. Every time there is a break in play, the players take on fluid, they look fitter than I have seen them in many years and I just have a feeling this is to be our season.

The team are playing as a well oiled unit. There is a great unity between the players, you can see that, especially with the 2nd and 3rd goals.

Bentley - 9 Great penalty save, super tip over near the end and a good save with his legs from Roberts late on.
Coker - 8.5 What an engine this lad has, up and down all day
Phillips - 7 Worryingly the weak link at the moment. Too many times today let the ball bounce when he should have attacked it.
Prosser - 8 Performance we regularly expect from Prosser now.
O'Neill - 8 Just for that cross field ball to Straker. Oh my word, what vision. Shame about the injury, looks rather accomplished at RB
Leonard - 9.5 Controlled display and drives forward at every opportunity MOM
Timlin - 9 110% workrate, chased everything and broke up play
Atkinson - 9 Covers every blade of grass and works tirelessly
Straker - 9 Awesome display again today. We had the good Strakes today, great ball in for Hurst's goal
Hurst - 8.5 Gets another goal and interacts so well as part of a front three
Corr 9 Not been at his best lately but today was on top form. So much good link up play with the midfiled, hold up play was brilliant and what a goal.

Subs

Thompson - 8 Did well at RB and what a through ball for Corr's goal. Inch perfect
Woodrow - 8 Looked sharp and quick and hungry for the ball
Eastwood - Not really a lot of time to judge, didn't really get into the game at all

I like the way the midfield are working, lots of little passes in a small space that releases one of them, much like for Leonard's goal. There is always one space to be the runner and it just creates space and panic for the opposing team.

Ref - 8 Think the ref had a good game, though he did bottle it with the second yellow for the Chesterfield number 5. The penalty never was in a million years, looked like he was evening it up after not giving Roberts a penalty for his first half dive in the area.

Phil Brown - Has won me round. He made an abortion of Wembley and the last few games of this season but he has turned things around and created a very good footballing team which has great unity, work ethic and belief. Every time there is a break in play, the players take on fluid, they look fitter than I have seen them in many years and I just have a feeling this is to be our season.

Agree with almost everything you've said , but it was a 100% penalty all day long.
Took his leg away , right in front of the ref.
Nobody argued at all

What a performance that was! Was a little concerned that they would be more focused on staying fit and available for Hull but how wrong I was!

Bentley 9 - Simply amazing. Great penalty save and a few good one on one saves. The shot he tipped over the bar was a world class save.
O'Neill 7 - Ball into Straker was different class for the first goal. Linked up well with Hurst, rarely misplaced a pass and knew what he was doing.
Phillips 7 - Solid performance. Played some good passes and remained disciplined.
Prosser 8 - Won pretty much everything in the air and put in another solid display. Not a fancy player by any means but does the basics brilliantly.
Coker 8 - Trademark performance from Coker. Defended well and attacked even better. Ran the show down the left hand side with Straker and bombarded their box.
Leonard 9 - This boy is pure class. Another belting goal after a blinding run forward, broke up play well and bossed the midfield.
Timlin 8 - Great passer of the ball and got the assist for Lenny's goal. Always wanted the ball and gave 100%.
Atkinson 8 - Never stopped running and created several great chances. Work rate is second to none, just never stops working for the team.
Hurst 8 - Took his goal well and looked up for it all afternoon. His crossing is lethal and he was dangerous down the right despite being marked tightly.
Corr 8 - Won all his headers and threatened all game. Scored an amazing goal but should have buried another few chances!
Straker 9 - Seems to love playing against Chesterfield! Had a cracking game. Was a constant thorn in their side and caused problems all afternoon. The first touch on O'Neill's pass for the first goal was just sensational.

Subs:

Thompson 7 - Cleared his lines well and played some good passes. Good ball to Barry for the 3rd goal.
Woodrow 6 - Not enough time to properly get into it. Couple of very good crosses.
Eastwood 6 - Didn't see much of the ball but had a few neat touches.

Bring on 'ull City. We were different class. They seemed to want to con and cheat the ref all the time. Their number 12 gets a solid 10/10 for rolling about like he's been kneecapped after Lenny barely touched him. Also 10/10 for the miraculous recovery 3 minutes later!

Mr Brown, you are quality.

Last edited:
Agree with almost everything you've said , but it was a 100% penalty all day long.
Took his leg away , right in front of the ref.
Nobody argued at all

I was 90 odd yards away so fair point. From the South Upper it didn't even look like our player was near him.

We're really rather good at the moment, aren't we!?

That has to be our most complete performance since... well... a couple of games ago!

Excellent display by the whole team and a great result. It was a close game before O’Neil hit the pass of the season [so far] to Straker who crossed for Hurst to slot in for the first goal. From then on it was all Southend, two more excellent goals sealed a well earned victory.
Can’t argue with MOM but it could have gone to four or five other players. Hopefully O’Neil is back next week.
I would also like to advise the programme editor that the Hull game is a home game
[listed as away in the fixtures and results page] and great write up about the Portsmouth defender Johnny Ertl, unfortunately, it was supposed to be about Chesterfields Ian Evatt

But you must agree SBH it was probable our most complete allround leauge performance .:winking:

Excellent display by the whole team and a great result. It was a close game before O’Neil hit the pass of the season [so far] to Straker who crossed for Hurst to slot in for the first goal. From then on it was all Southend, two more excellent goals sealed a well earned victory.
Can’t argue with MOM but it could have gone to four or five other players. Hopefully O’Neil is back next week.
I would also like to advise the programme editor that the Hull game is a home game
[listed as away in the fixtures and results page] and great write up about the Portsmouth defender Johnny Ertl, unfortunately, it was supposed to be about Chesterfields Ian Ewatt

Or possibly Ian Evatt :winking:

and great write up about the Portsmouth defender Johnny Ertl, unfortunately, it was supposed to be about Chesterfields Ian Ewatt

Actually I think it was supposed to be about Ian Evatt :winking:

I can't give much different on the ratings however I have a couple of observations.
MP did have a good game, he marked Richards out of the game to an extent that it was almost a ten against ten game which when Richards is a key player for them is an achievement worthy of note.
Lennie was fastest man on his legs and in his head today and looked good enough for Championship player, he must have been hacked 6/7 times, all should have been yellow cars and the ref did bottle it. Lennie's legs will be sore for a few days. Accomplished sol run and goal.
Atko and Tim's ran and ran, controlled midfield, some loose passes early on but both had great games.
BBBC, again 100% and got a deserved goal.
Dan, three top stops.
All team worth 8 and 9 ratings IMO.

Everyone gets an 8 plus for me! Couldn't really get a decent look at Oneil, but thought Thompson was fantastic when he came on. Going home very happy today (and very merry too). UTB

don't forget the lady linesman on the eaststand side, she was ok, nice little body on it.

Back