• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United heading back to Spain for pre-season training

A good many of us last season were very impressed with the team spirit of the squad during both the good and bad spells. PB obviously thinks that this training trip will again help build the team spirit for the forthcoming season. The Club obviously can afford the trip or they would not be doing it, so let them get on with it, eh? What is it exactly that they are doing that is harmful to the club?

Not quite sure I understand some of the points above.

For instance, we didn't get promoted so the team shouldn't be pre-season training anywhere else than Southend. Sounds strange.

I hope they (the team) enjoy it - as said above, with the right booking it could be a very cheap "jolly" with the added bonus that it might just provide a boost ........... having said that, having some central defenders might help as well! :omg:

not factual- an opinion . The only factual part is that we didn't go on tour on the promotion seasons. That proves nothing,

A very valid opinion. It shows, as I pointed out, you don't need tours to help activate enough team spirit to achieve promotion.

I hope you are right. Ron didn't always spend money wisely during the Club's financial meltdown. Don't forget he conned 2 Chief Execs. So I hope our business with HMRS, unpaid bills and late wages ( facts from recent past) are exactly that, remaining as things in the past or otherwise if they re-occur what shall be saying if the club has footed this tour bill.

And if money was no object, Fine. but it isn't as far as the Club is concerned barely enough money to go round. of course there may be a secret sponsor out there paying the bill If It is the club footing it, surely somewhere over here would suffice. Our last 2 promotion winning seasons didn't come about after tours abroad. Evidence you can claim the ultimate prize without touring. if money wasn't a problem, well, that's another thing

Have no problem with the trip at all. My only concern is Phil Brown being out of the country during a critical time for signing players. Would think that he would be vital in negotiations as far as convincing people to come to us. 'Will talk to you in a week when we're back from Spain' might lead to missing out!!

Have no problem with the trip at all. My only concern is Phil Brown being out of the country during a critical time for signing players. Would think that he would be vital in negotiations as far as convincing people to come to us. 'Will talk to you in a week when we're back from Spain' might lead to missing out!!

I hope Brown isn't stupid, I don't think he is on the player front. He will have tidied up that sort of thing before he goes. Of course, Ron could always take over if necessary...............god forbid!!

Good god. Give the club a break.

If Phil feels that it's good for the side and Ron sanctions the spend who cares. Some people on here are never bloody happy. Would it make you happier to see the players running along the seafront like the old days.

Good god. Give the club a break.

If Phil feels that it's good for the side and Ron sanctions the spend who cares. Some people on here are never bloody happy. Would it make you happier to see the players running along the seafront like the old days.

So we place all trust in Ron's competencies that it is not a problem spending money on this trip Phew, that's alright then. I thought we were letting someone incompetent make that judgment. - What do we do if we need to acquire 2 or3 loan players during the season to improve matters or to shore things up but struggle to bring them in because money was spent on this. The people FOR this trip will be the same ones moaning should we lack money in more important areas during the course of the season.

So we place all trust in Ron's competencies that it is not a problem spending money on this trip Phew, that's alright then. I thought we were letting someone incompetent make that judgment. - What do we do if we need to acquire 2 or3 loan players during the season to improve matters or to shore things up but struggle to bring them in because money was spent on this. The people FOR this trip will be the same ones moaning should we lack money in more important areas during the course of the season.

Glad everyone seems to know who is paying for this trip. Why do people moan about it being a watse of money when they don't even know where the money is coming from? Doesn't necessarily have to come out of the playing budget. Give the club (and RM in this case) a break!

Glad everyone seems to know who is paying for this trip. Why do people moan about it being a watse of money when they don't even know where the money is coming from? Doesn't necessarily have to come out of the playing budget. Give the club (and RM in this case) a break!

I have said elsewhere IF the club is paying. MAYBE a secret sponsor. Till a secret party is confirmed as paying for this then I shall go along with the suspicion the club is paying. Like I said on another thread, most of the squad will be the same so no need to go overboard in players getting to know one another because most will know one another on and off the pitch. Again i'm not moaning for the sake of moaning it is looking out for the best interests of the Club's finances IF the're paying. if Ron is saying this is ok to spend money on, well that's alright then. Mr Competence at-all-times has spoken.

not factual- an opinion . The only factual part is that we didn't go on tour on the promotion seasons. That proves nothing,

So, when we've been on tour we've stayed where we are, but have been damn close to promotion. When we haven't been on tour (under Tilly) we got relegated. Using Southend Pier's logic we need a tour to ensure we have a chance of promotion, and to ensure we don't go down.

So, when we've been on tour we've stayed where we are, but have been damn close to promotion. When we haven't been on tour (under Tilly) we got relegated. Using Southend Pier's logic we need a tour to ensure we have a chance of promotion, and to ensure we don't go down.

Another good point I'll add to this. we toured Ireland under Ronnie Whelan. And were relegated that same season.

Another good point I'll add to this. we toured Ireland under Ronnie Whelan. And were relegated that same season.

Not surprised, most of his squad were pis*ed down Churchills most nights. A preseason tour to Ireland must have been heaven for them...glug glug

Why do people who don't even support Southend United even care about this stuff? If anything they should relish it because it gives them an excuse to moan like this.

Until some facts are revealed as to who is paying, how much it will cost and how that compares with an equivilent training camp in the UK it seems to me that we're not really in a position to judge whether this is a good decision or not.

Why do people who don't even support Southend United even care about this stuff? If anything they should relish it because it gives them an excuse to moan like this.

Until some facts are revealed as to who is paying, how much it will cost and how that compares with an equivilent training camp in the UK it seems to me that we're not really in a position to judge whether this is a good decision or not.

In case this comment in relation to me. I have said IF club are paying. MAYBE there is a secret sponsor. And I have had an interest in Blues from a very young age and happen to have good contacts in an near the Club. I'm realistic about the Club's finances and IF they are payin those defending this trip will be precisely those who moan if we can't ay bills,wages, bring in loan players in the next year. we must try and look beyond possible unplesent hindsights.

correct me if im wrong but I thought that we were in a partnership with a club in spain .And thats how we get to go out there for pre season . Also I believe all players were payed up last season through out the season for once not to sure about the club staff though .

correct me if im wrong but I thought that we were in a partnership with a club in spain .And thats how we get to go out there for pre season . Also I believe all players were payed up last season through out the season for once not to sure about the club staff though .

Yep - it's a night club called El Discatore in Torremolinos. Just love the Euro Disco sound - you often see Nigel Farage there on a break from the European Parliament.

In case this comment in relation to me. I have said IF club are paying. MAYBE there is a secret sponsor. And I have had an interest in Blues from a very young age and happen to have good contacts in an near the Club. I'm realistic about the Club's finances and IF they are payin those defending this trip will be precisely those who moan if we can't ay bills,wages, bring in loan players in the next year. we must try and look beyond possible unplesent hindsights.

That's a pretty big leap of fantasy matey, and almost certainly untrue of most on here. Why are you getting so worked up over a situation we have no real facts on??

We shouldn't bother with pre-season at all as it didn't help us the last couple of years. That's not just factual, it's actual factual.

Back