• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United heading back to Spain for pre-season training

Come down to money,

Yeovil probably gave him a nice signing on fee of around 10k and paying him 500 quid a week more than us!

Thats why he signed for them.

He signed for them as they are in League One, same as Eagan signed for Gillingham.

They may have got a few quid more due to being in the league above, but its the league more than the contract that counts most.

He signed for them as they are in League One, same as Eagan signed for Gillingham.

They may have got a few quid more due to being in the league above, but its the league more than the contract that counts most.

Of course they did. These are both young footballers who have been released from Premiership clubs. They are going to want to play at a high a level as possible.

Of course they did. These are both young footballers who have been released from Premiership clubs. They are going to want to play at a high a level as possible.

Absolutely this. Doesn't stop me being disappointed but there you go.

Back Page of today's Echo - Brown in no rush to bring players in. Exactly what Tilson was briefed into saying when , in truth, financial problems prevented him from doing so. I say again, Hope this is not de ja vu after all that I explained in my posts above. Fans thinking along these lines , well, you can't blame them.

With your appalling track record, what makes you think anyone is paying any attention to what you say?

Given our history, do the words 'break the bank' on their own not suggest that what someone might have been considering doing was at best very, very stupid?

I don't think breaking the bank would cause any problems .......... because I suspect there is nothing in the account except an old sweet wrapper and half used biro. :'(

On the subject of overseas tours our first ever promotion in 1971-72 was after we had spent about 12 days in Russia. While we were there we played four matches but lost them all.

Tours dont guarantee good results in the league, all that matters is that Phil Brown has what he needs to get the team prepared.

Its an established squad that needs adding to but is as solid a unit we have had in many years.

If the club feel it can afford the trip (and the last 12 months has been as financially stable as we have seen for sometime) and Phil Brown feels its good preparation then I dont see the problem. Having people complain we might run out of money during the season doesnt really make a lot of sense. We never have a lot of money and are never going to be spending money on transfer fees. You probably wouldnt get much of a player for the cost of the training trip anyway.

on another note, it also makes the performance against Braintree a bit more worrying, as we have had some time in the heat training, yet we struggled yesterday because it was hot. I doubt Braintree had pre season camp in a sunny country? maybe we should have gone to somewhere damp and cold, as that's the conditions of how most of our regular season games are played. I know its only season, and its 'all about fitness not performance'. If you believe that then youll also believe we'll be champions by Easter.

So we went on an overseas pre-season training trip and yet were still able to sign players and pay £25k for Bolger.

Back