• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United heading back to Spain for pre-season training

We shouldn't bother with pre-season at all as it didn't help us the last couple of years. That's not just factual, it's actual factual.

Total sense at last.
Just go the lash ( as a squad ) the minute the final game is over and rock up at 10 to 3 on the opening day.
Could there be a better 'team bonding' excercise ?

We shouldn't bother with pre-season at all as it didn't help us the last couple of years. That's not just factual, it's actual factual.

Total and utter rubbish.

We got off to a very good start last season 3 wins out of 4.

This actually factually proves that we need to go FURTHER away in pre-season. Preseason to Africa, or if we are serious about promotion Asia is a no-brainer.

Total and utter rubbish.

We got off to a very good start last season 3 wins out of 4.

This actually factually proves that we need to go FURTHER away in pre-season. Preseason to Africa, or if we are serious about promotion Asia is a no-brainer.

It has to be somewhere starting with a "S" - Scotland and then Spain ........ perhaps Senegal or Singapore next season ......... :unsure:

That's a pretty big leap of fantasy matey, and almost certainly untrue of most on here. Why are you getting so worked up over a situation we have no real facts on??

Read slowly what I said. key word in my comment you highlight Is the little word IF. Those troubles we have had in the past and who is to say they won't re-occur at some point. I do say IF, remember. Not like it has never happened before and someone like Ron can't blame those for thinking along the lines I have formentioned. IF we do run into money worries again we will wonder why Ron sanctioned this, IF he has. Fans will back this idea as it givs them the chance to delve into their wallets for a ****-up. but it MIGHT of unneccassary cost to the club IF they are paying their full whack. Money the Club can ill-afford if more important issues during the season where money might be of better use. As I say, not like the woes of the past have never resurfaced has it? Not. Finally again, I Repeat key word in my comment Is an IF. By the way, IF we run into money woes again, will you regret money being spent on this?? If it happens, A shame you could not look no further than hindsight. but Club cannot afford it unless of course Ron " Mr competence at-all-times" Martin has sanctioned it. hardly much to go on. I end with the word IF As Explained twice in this text.

Furthermore we didn't raise enough money for Sokilik ( I know this) and didn't go overboard with getting O'Toole despite Brown saying he is "good". Coincides with the money being spent going abroad. Coincidence, I hope. Ok, O'toole is maybe a bad apple but then why did Brown take an interest in him in the first place???

And in this order too. 1| Tour announcement. 2| Sokilik officially turns us down ( comments on this were spun. I can tell you sokilik was never close to joining us full time. Designed to make the club look capable of consistently attracting the better players). 3| Not breaking bank for O'Toole ( which suggests we couldn't really in truth afford him) but goes to Northampton. If he were a bad apple and I'm not saying he isn't, why was Brown interested in him in the first place? put all this together, and it is in that order, then I hope all this is a coincidence. are you really confident it is so ?? Must be as it SEEMS?? Ron " mr incompetence at-all-times" Martin has sanctioned the trip?? As I say, Fans can't be criticised thinking this way, those that do. Not as if previous woes never happened and never re-surfaced time and again, has it?

Seems to me Mr Pier that you are in a far better position than me to comment with all your contacts etc. On that basis I'll sign off on this one and you can continue worrying, just in case.

Back Page of today's Echo - Brown in no rush to bring players in. Exactly what Tilson was briefed into saying when , in truth, financial problems prevented him from doing so. I say again, Hope this is not de ja vu after all that I explained in my posts above. Fans thinking along these lines , well, you can't blame them.

It has to be somewhere starting with a "S" - Scotland and then Spain ........ perhaps Senegal or Singapore next season ......... :unsure:

Switzerland so we can collect the warchest that was deposited in a Swiss bank account.

*waves pitchfork*

What happened to the Eastwood money?

Back Page of today's Echo - Brown in no rush to bring players in. Exactly what Tilson was briefed into saying when , in truth, financial problems prevented him from doing so. I say again, Hope this is not de ja vu after all that I explained in my posts above. Fans thinking along these lines , well, you can't blame them.

I have to admit, I don't like the sound of that at all. Without news on the advancement of FF, you do have to wonder where the money is going to come from. Like many others, I'll hold my fire on the tour, until we find out who's financing it but I can understand S Pier's concerns.

Furthermore we didn't raise enough money for Sokilik ( I know this) and didn't go overboard with getting O'Toole despite Brown saying he is "good". Coincides with the money being spent going abroad. Coincidence, I hope. Ok, O'toole is maybe a bad apple but then why did Brown take an interest in him in the first place???

I'm not in the know but I did tweet we should break the bank for Sokolik after Chris Phillips tweeted that PB had spoken to him again and CP tweeted back that money was not the issue.

Given our history, do the words 'break the bank' on their own not suggest that what someone might have been considering doing was at best very, very stupid?

Given our history, do the words 'break the bank' on their own not suggest that what someone might have been considering doing was at best very, very stupid?

I used the term more as a figure of speech, what I meant is put more of the wage budget into Sokolik and maybe sacrifice other targets or squad size. Twitter’s character limit doesn’t really allow that kind of detail though.

I'm not in the know but I did tweet we should break the bank for Sokolik after Chris Phillips tweeted that PB had spoken to him again and CP tweeted back that money was not the issue.

Exactly. An opportunity to play at a higher level was always going to the deciding factor. For a player to willingly play at a lower level we would have to offered significantly more money than Yeovil. Even if we could have I am not sure we want players who put finances over the opportunity to better themselves.

There are different ways you can make it more attractive rather than the headline wage eg contract length. We could have offered a 3yr deal instead of Yeovil's two. Contract length is usually more attractive to older players, so we could have countered this by including a release clause if a set valuation of him was met (and I'd suggest a relatively low valuation, with set add-ons).

Yeovil are in a higher division than us now, but 1 in 6 teams go down from their division and 1 in 6 teams go up from our division. We're a club on an upward trajectory, they are a club on a downward trajectory. Over a three year deal it's quite likely that they we'll end up in the same division at some stage or another. The third year could be dependent on us having been promoted and if we hadn't been promoted he could have an option to opt for release.

There are loads of things like this that we could have done.

The wages for Sokolik would not have to be paid to him up front, he would be paid monthly like everyone else. How paying for a training camp now affects his contract in 6 months time I have no idea.

You were on here beginning of last season hinting at wages going unpaid which was nonsense so Ishall take your inside knowledge with a pinch of salt methinks.

And in this order too. 1| Tour announcement. 2| Sokilik officially turns us down ( comments on this were spun. I can tell you sokilik was never close to joining us full time. Designed to make the club look capable of consistently attracting the better players). 3| Not breaking bank for O'Toole ( which suggests we couldn't really in truth afford him) but goes to Northampton. If he were a bad apple and I'm not saying he isn't, why was Brown interested in him in the first place? put all this together, and it is in that order, then I hope all this is a coincidence. are you really confident it is so ?? Must be as it SEEMS?? Ron " mr incompetence at-all-times" Martin has sanctioned the trip?? As I say, Fans can't be criticised thinking this way, those that do. Not as if previous woes never happened and never re-surfaced time and again, has it?

We were talking to Sokolik well before the tour was announced.

How was it designed to make as look capable of attracting better players when he signed for someone else ?!

There are different ways you can make it more attractive rather than the headline wage eg contract length. We could have offered a 3yr deal instead of Yeovil's two. Contract length is usually more attractive to older players, so we could have countered this by including a release clause if a set valuation of him was met (and I'd suggest a relatively low valuation, with set add-ons).

Yeovil are in a higher division than us now, but 1 in 6 teams go down from their division and 1 in 6 teams go up from our division. We're a club on an upward trajectory, they are a club on a downward trajectory. Over a three year deal it's quite likely that they we'll end up in the same division at some stage or another. The third year could be dependent on us having been promoted and if we hadn't been promoted he could have an option to opt for release.

There are loads of things like this that we could have done.

Come down to money,

Yeovil probably gave him a nice signing on fee of around 10k and paying him 500 quid a week more than us!

Thats why he signed for them.

Back