• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brown 3- Poor subs, poor tactics. Phil Brown football is really boring to watch. Singling out coker for being poor when he was nowhere near the worst one out there is ******* ridiculous.

Has he said that?

Thought the change was made so we could go 352 with Payne in the hole. Didnt see it as a performance substitution.

Has he said that?

Thought the change was made so we could go 352 with Payne in the hole. Didnt see it as a performance substitution.
I was listening to BBC Essex on the way back from the game and he singled out Coker as having a poor game.

I was listening to BBC Essex on the way back from the game and he singled out Coker as having a poor game.

Yeah dont agree with that, he wasnt any worse than anyone else.
I dont disagree with the substitution though, that made sense at the time.

That was a classic **** poor Phil Brown negative home performance. Honestly thought we had learnt lessons from last season but no. We narrow the pitch yet persist in hitting hopeful long diagonal balls and mostly out of play. Brown is meant to be an experienced manager yet continues to be out thought tactically by younger up and coming managers. Yes we played well last week in spells but against an awful side and under a manager they clearly didn't believe in based on their result today. We have been found wanting in all three home games lost. PB needs to address the home form and quick otherwise it's going to be a long hard season

I think he mentioned almost every player out on that pitch today.
The thing is though I think we do actually have the quality in the team.

Shrewsbury gave us very little time on the ball and we couldn't deal with it. On the other hand, Cole and Barnett/Akpa-Akpro seemed to have far more time than they could handle. If they'd been more composed, we could have been on the wrong end of a hiding. Far too many hopeful high balls up to Worrall, who isn't the tallest. Our crosses had no pace or spin - easy for the big units of Shrewsbury to handle.

That was a classic **** poor Phil Brown negative home performance. Honestly thought we had learnt lessons from last season but no. We narrow the pitch yet persist in hitting hopeful long diagonal balls and mostly out of play. Brown is meant to be an experienced manager yet continues to be out thought tactically by younger up and coming managers. Yes we played well last week in spells but against an awful side and under a manager they clearly didn't believe in based on their result today. We have been found wanting in all three home games lost. PB needs to address the home form and quick otherwise it's going to be a long hard season

We played the same team as last week which was judged to be awesome.:smile:

There was nothing negative about us, we were just poor and unable to deal with their midfield.

The hopeful long balls were because they packed their midfield.

Wordsworth hit the bar with a superb volley,Worrall spurned our only real chance with a dreadful first touch,Bentley made a superb stop at the very end.Other than that there is very little positive to be said.

Bentley. 7. Distribution much better today.Crosses still cause concern.
White. 5. Defensively adequate but otherwise a League 2 player.
Rea .8. An accomplished all round performance.
Barrett 5 Now struggling in all aspects of the game.
Coker 6 Not as good as usual..Injured ?
Worrall 6 Disappointing-esp.see above.
Leonard 6 Not at his commanding best.
Wordsworth 6 Clearly has ability but we are not fully seeing it yet.
timlin. 5. Not at his best.rather anonymous.
Mooney 5 Not suited to target man role,his value is as a clinical finisher in and around the box.
Hunt 6 Not much came off for him today,though he was cynically dragged down whe n clear on goal though the dim twerp who obviously saw it only showed yellow.
subs :
Mclaughlin 5 was only given the ball in his own half
Payne 4 and that's being generous-I don't think he can do anything at this level.
Piggott 5 didn't threaten.

Does anyone here sit in the West next to the Family bit and have to put up with the continual moner in around row R? Constant moaning. Irritating and ruining the experience some what.

yep! i've had many a ding dong with the guilty parties over the years. nowadays i just keep my gob shut and chuckle to myself...soooo easier said than done :smile:

Look on the bright side people, Orient only managed a draw at Cambridge and Jonny Stokes didn't start the post match ratings on here this week. On a more serious note, I bet Phil goes looking for a loan striker early next week.

Can't blame Brown today. Same team as last week but the performance was very poor. Every player was poor bar Bentley

Is it not his job to prepare, organise and motivate the squad whilst deciding on the tactics and style of play for a particular match. Pretty sure it is also his responsibility to make changes during the match and to certainly make a difference during the interval.

A very frustrating match where there was some pretty poor performances not only from our team and manager but also the officials. Ironic that the player who scored for them should have been sent off earlier in the game.

Once again our build up play too slow and the tactics too predictable. I have lost count already this season where the option to pass wide has been taken instead of having a shot or 'taking on' the opposition defence only for the ball to be lost.

The persistence of Brown to keep playing one of our most influential central midfielders (Timlin) out wide on the left is baffling. Also Worrell and Coker playing together have ripped teams apart previously but Brown insists on splitting them up.

Brown 'digging out' Coker on the BBC after the game was unreasonable and he should apologise to him publically imo, for he was no worse than any of the other players on the pitch.

Bentley 6 not a lot to do tbh but what he did do he did well

White 5 too many wayward passes

Coker 5 I think that his performance was restricted as he had no real support from Timlin.

Rea 6 Thought he played quite well although he was beaten quite often in the air. He is young and so can improve.

Barrett 4 probably the worst game that I have seen him play. Beginning to look leggy and short of pace now. We will suffer from his continues grabbing of players soon.

Worrell 6 tried hard but had no options of players to pass to, or any support most of the match

Timlin 5 Out of position and it showed! He kept drifting to his natural position in the centre and thus offered no options or support to Coker.

Wordsworth 3 Sorry but he is too slow of thought and insists on passing sideways or backwards, does not seem to want to take any responsibility in midfield and constantly makes the wrong passing choices. Goes to sleep and is absent too often

Leonard 5 spent most of the game trying to cover two positions (his own and Wordsworth's) which meant he could not do his own job properly.

Mooney 5 a couple of good touches early in the game but was absent most of the game. He needs chances created for him from midfield though which did not come.

Hunt 5 as Mooney

Piggott 4 if he had not scored that goal at Wembley I don't think he would have been signed. Did nothing of any note

Payne 4 as for Piggott without the Wembley reference

McLaughlin 3 was he on the pitch?

Brown 6 one extra point for passion. Why oh why can't he play the players in their strongest positions? Once again out thought tactically. He needs to get our attacking play to be varied rather than the predictability of get wide, cross and hope which opposing managers find easy to combat! Don't know what he says at half time (if anything) but it does not work!

Referee 2 one point for getting the proper kit and another for turning up on time. Missed two blatant penalties, should have sent off their goal scorer, and allowed so many pushes and bully boy tactics to go unpunished. inconsistent. Should have been wearing a Shrewsbury shirt!

Bentley - 7
White - 6
Rea - 6
Barrett - 6
Coker - 5
Worrall - 5
Wordsworth - 6
Timlin - 5.5
Leonard - 4
Hunt - 6.5
Mooney - 5

Piggott, McLaughlin, Payne - 5's

Brown's - 0

Shrewsbury_Town_FC.png
Well played Shrewsbury you deserved to win.
The only stat we won was fouls committed.15-6

Totally outplayed, out thought and out muscled by an average Shrewsbury side. Every single player bar Bentley had a poor game; 4/10 all round at best. I wonder if Shrews fans are moaning about playing 4-5-1 tonight..?

That is because the ref only gave the the fouls we made but ignored Shrewsbury's

And he only allowed the goal they scored. you can not just blame thr ref. Thats the jose mourinho way of looking at things. We were at home. They out played us tactically and we had no anwser. As said by most on here its going to be a long season and right now I would be happy with survival.

Back