• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Again this was because they packed the midfield so we resorted to having to hit those long hopeful balls.

Also why we were playing it around at the back, because the defence couldnt find anyone to pass it to.

Before someone jumps in and says that was a 'tactic' I was sitting behind Brown today and he was going ballistic because the defence werent getting the ball forward.

Sitting on the bench?

We played the same team as last week which was judged to be awesome.:smile:

There was nothing negative about us, we were just poor and unable to deal with their midfield.

The hopeful long balls were because they packed their midfield.

Awesome really? Don't recall anyone saying that. If you analyse the chances Peterborough could have got something out the game. Yes we won but against a poor side. Swindon Walsall and now Shrewsbury have out battled us and got the results. We had little forward momentum other than long hopeful balls. There was little runs into channels and the front two had little to feed off. We have the players I really believe that, I'm just not sure PB knows how to get the best out of them at the moment.

Shrewsbury on that display are stepping up to Division 1 but so far we are playing Division 2 football . I do wonder if some of our players are capable of making the jump.

Shrewsbury deserved to win.

They set up perfectly for that performance.

Kept things tight on Hunt, in particular. Were first to most balls, it seemed. Kept a good shape throughout and had a decent fella leading the line with a bit of trickery behind him and they knew how to take advantage of a set-piece.

A professional away performance that stifled the little creativity we had and knew how to close a game out. Knight-Percival's block at the end was synonomous with their desire to finish the job off at the death.

Bentley pulled off two great saves and Barrett had a steady game, but too many similar players in the middle of the park for us and we played into their hands far too easily.

Shrewsbury deserved to win.

They set up perfectly for that performance.

Kept things tight on Hunt, in particular. Were first to most balls, it seemed. Kept a good shape throughout and had a decent fella leading the line with a bit of trickery behind him and they knew how to take advantage of a set-piece.

A professional away performance that stifled the little creativity we had and knew how to close a game out. Knight-Percival's block at the end was synonomous with their desire to finish the job off at the death.

Bentley pulled off two great saves and Barrett had a steady game, but too many similar players in the middle of the park for us and we played into their hands far too easily.

An interesting view on Barrett which I agree with. Some reports on here reckon he is shot but I though he did ok, not brilliant, but ok. I wouldn't mind betting that we see Bolger partnering Rea for the next match though.

Probably the worst and most boring game I've seen in years. Creativity was non existent. We have one game plan only, play it to worrall and get a cross in. The constant sideways and backwards passing was awful. We were just plain dreadful today. Thing is Shrewsbury weren't great but just shows how bad we were.

Saw the game very similarly to IloveShrimp, God forbid I am going to criticise two Southend heroes but I thought Dan had a poor game today. There were definitely occasions where he would normally be expected to come for a ball today where he didn't and I think it confused our defence a bit. Adam Barrett, God love the man but today he had a mare, what was that corner he gave away needlessly all about? He kept getting caught up the pitch trying to do everything and then leaving White and Rea to hopelessly cover 4 positions between them after Coker went off. One brilliant challenge but that was about it for him.

I certainly didn't think Coker deserved the criticism from the boss, maybe playing a player who'd not trained during the week wasn't the wisest of decisions? Cokes suffered from the same problems as White has done, no-one in front of him so having to do two jobs. I am still very unconvinced about Wordsworth, Timlin needs to come back in the middle, he's largely ineffective playing as he is being asked to. What gets me is how many balls are being over hit, is this down to reducing the width of the pitch and has the B&L one been adjusted similarly?

Felt desperately sorry for Hunt (who the ref took an instant dislike to) and Mooney, I actually thought Mooney had the better game of the two and was one of our best players - though, admittedly there wasn't a huge amount of choice.

Bentley - 5
White - 6
Rea - 6
Barrett - 5
Coker -5
Worrall - 7
Leonard - 6
Wordsworth - 4
Timlin - 5
Hunt - 7
Mooney - 7 MOTM

Subs:
McLaughlin for Timlin - 5
Pigott - 5
Payne - 5

Officials - just about the worst collectively I've seen at RH. Clear fouls on our players given, inexplicably, the wrong way. Worrall penalised twice for a shoulder charge but their players got away with the same, was the goal scorer allowed to get away without a red card? From my perspective, yes, the guy was last player so the yellow should have been a red. We were doing a JB POTM presentation today, and I was reliably informed that Andy d'Urso was in the directors' box presumably doing an assessment, on that performance this ref will end up in the Conference.

One of the most frustrating and annoying games I've seen at the Hall in recent times.

Everyone got a 5 apart from timlin 4, did we have a left midfielder 1st half or didn't brown think we needed one, poor day from all today, poor Coker was all on his own first half down the left hand side today.

Second best in every department except keeper.Midfield non existent and created nothing for the forwards,passing dreadful,change of formation pointless.Shrewsbury hurried and roughed us up with the refs help,and we had no answer.Game Deegan was needed to combat their midfield superiority.Still need another striker with speed to give us another game plan on days like this

Does anyone here sit in the West next to the Family bit and have to put up with the continual moner in around row R? Constant moaning. Irritating and ruining the experience some what.
Timlin was in two places at once today was he ? Had the worse game in a blues shirt ever and didn't stop whinging at his team mates through frustration I think today, Bentley only player to come out of the game with any credit.

We were beaten by an efficient and very athletic team today (the no 23 up front should have been competing at the Worlds in Beijing the other week, how many times did he close down our defenders with a 15 yard head start ??!), they were running around like 'idiots' in drills before the game, and the second half, and were regularly fed energy sachets/goo. Fortunately they were not also blessed with guile and finishing prowess otherwise we would have been beaten outta sight. A set piece was always going to win this game and so it proved (I will be interested to see the replay though as most of our players protested vehemently about a foul afterwards).

Bentley - Agree with South Bank Hank's comments earlier in the week, superb quick throws, plus two great saves at the death.
White - Thought he defended well but simply launched too many long/over hit balls.
Barrett - Solid. the shot that hit the bar apart, I think he had our 3 other shots.
Rea - Had a couple of bad moments and I wonder if we will be 'allowed' to rest him next game, Brown screamed at him to 'stand up' afore he launched into the yellow card tackle that led to the goal.
Coker - Not as effective as they doubled up on him and he was closed down instantly.
Worrall - Nothing going right for him, surprised he stayed on.
Wordsworth - bit sharper than last week (and refer to crossbar effort earlier)
Leonard - noticed he lost the crowd today.
Timlin - Not a winger
Hunt - No service and well shackled by their beast of a centre half, worried he may miss a game or two with the injury.
Mooney - Never gave up and when he did get the ball tried to do something inventive.

Is it not his job to prepare, organise and motivate the squad whilst deciding on the tactics and style of play for a particular match. Pretty sure it is also his responsibility to make changes during the match and to certainly make a difference during the interval.

So you blame Brown for this then....What would you of done different?

Hunt - No service and well shackled by their beast of a centre half, worried he may miss a game or two with the injury.

Anyone else notice their keeper stick his leg up to take Hunt down when he was on the floor in that challenge? :unsure:

I have no problem with Brown publicly slating the players today.
IMO they were all very poor and if they have any character about them , they should take that criticism as bring well justified.
Rather than sulk , they should agree it wasn't good enough and make sure they put it right.
Having said that , Brown has to also take a long look at himself , as he had no plan B and seemingly no idea how to change things.
Terrible performance by all today ( including Brown ) especially as this was the same starting 11 as Peterborough.
Are we good enough ?
Not sure yet , but we need to up our game fast.

Brown 'digging out' Coker on the BBC after the game was unreasonable and he should apologise to him publically imo, for he was no worse than any of the other players on the pitch.
!

What did he say? Missed the interview.

Disappointing that we failed to break down the 352 again. Lack of ideas, character and leadership. For all the positives this season - and there has been plenty - today was poor. Now, with one win in seven, next week is now huge...

Anyone else notice their keeper stick his leg up to take Hunt down when he was on the floor in that challenge? :unsure:

Not that it excuses an all round poor performance, but as well as a penalty there should have been 2 straight reds for a couple of the worst tackles I have seen in a while. The standard of the officials was terrible today.

A very poor game from us today, worse than the Walsall game. Probably one of the poorest performances for a couple of years. Never really got going and Salop's game plan was executed perfectly. I tried to console myself during the second half that we were actually playing Argentina but by the final whistle I realized we had, in fact, been beaten by Shrewsbury.

Oh well off to sarf east London next week....

We were poor in just about every aspect of the game. The difference to last week leaves me bewildered. Still not convinced with Wordsworth, while Timlin seemed unsure whether to tuck in or give Coker some cover, even seeking the advice of Brown at one point. Leonard was very poor today. At his best he is running at their back four opening space for others. Side to side passing does not cut it at this level and when he tried something else the ball sailed into the crowd. A bad and very disjointed day at the office.

The worst performance I've seen from us since the three 0-0s last Christmas. Bereft of ideas, overrun in midfield and still not scoring goals.

Please can we have an attacking coach to work with the forwards, please. Please. Please.

Back