• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I hope he is better at learning tactics and putting in effort than he was at his school work when I had the good fortune of his company in my class. Nice kid and reasonably polite but very laid back. He wasn’t the star of the football team from what I remember and back then, he didn’t seem to be blessed with skill and predatory instinct. Nevertheless, the PE staff said he had a burst of pace and could drop his shoulder and go past his marker. He was confident to have the ball and would always have a shot although his targeting and composure were erratic. I guess he must’ve had something about him to get a chance in the professional game and fair do, I wish him well. I guess I’ll have to reintroduce myself as his favourite teacher and tell him I had a word in Chrissy’s ear to get him here. Then when he comes good and moves onto bigger and better things, he’ll keep me in mind and get me some VIP tickets for Old Trafford :winking:

Last edited:
I hope he is better at learning tactics and putting in effort than he was at his school work when I had the good fortune of his company in my class. Nice kid and reasonably polite but very laid back. He wasn’t the star of the football team from what I remember and back then, he didn’t seem to be blessed with skill and predatory instinct. Nevertheless, the PE staff said he had a burst of pace and could drop his shoulder and go past his marker. He was confident to have the ball and would always have a shot although his targeting and composure was erratic. I guess he must’ve had something about him to get a chance in the professional game and fair do, I wish him well. I guess I’ll have to reintroduce myself as his favourite teacher and tell him I had a word in Chrissy’s ear to get him here. Then when he comes good and moves onto bigger and better things, he’ll keep me in mind and get me some VIP tickets for Old Trafford :winking:

If ever a post typified your SZ poster name, it's this one.:winking:

Firstly welcome to the club FL

Secondly find it sooooo funny posters on here, saying Good lad for leaving through a medical what seemed a done deal

I remember the abuse Mark Rawle got on this site when he was suppose to have turned around the car around and driven to Oxford after agreeing a new deal with Ron Martin, the word Judas was on this board non stop ( And he didnot turn the car around to drive to Oxford, his deal was changed at the last minute),so just be careful if we bring him on ,offer him a deal and at the last minute buggers off

UTS

Turns out that Ladapo was in the building, ready to sign at Scunthorpe at the start of the month too but his wage demands were too high. Looks like we might have pulled off a decent signing here. Well it at least makes a change to sign someone that plenty of other clubs were after!

I hope he is better at learning tactics and putting in effort than he was at his school work when I had the good fortune of his company in my class. Nice kid and reasonably polite but very laid back. He wasn’t the star of the football team from what I remember and back then, he didn’t seem to be blessed with skill and predatory instinct. Nevertheless, the PE staff said he had a burst of pace and could drop his shoulder and go past his marker. He was confident to have the ball and would always have a shot although his targeting and composure was erratic. I guess he must’ve had something about him to get a chance in the professional game and fair do, I wish him well. I guess I’ll have to reintroduce myself as his favourite teacher and tell him I had a word in Chrissy’s ear to get him here. Then when he comes good and moves onto bigger and better things, he’ll keep me in mind and get me some VIP tickets for Old Trafford :winking:

He can probably get you some tickets for Margate straight away if you're interested?

I remember the abuse Mark Rawle got on this site when he was suppose to have turned around the car around and driven to Oxford after agreeing a new deal with Ron Martin, the word Judas was on this board non stop ( And he didnot turn the car around to drive to Oxford, his deal was changed at the last minute),so just be careful if we bring him on ,offer him a deal and at the last minute buggers offUTS

I think you've got that wrong. I happen to be friends with Mark Rawle's agent. From what I remember at the time, his agent told me that the deal wasn't very good because Mark was offered less than other players in the squad that weren't anywhere near as good, and certainly weren't in the team as often. The deal wasn't changed at the last minute, it just wasn't very good in the first place.

It seems the deal was reluctantly agreed and that he would sign the next day, but at the last minute Oxford (who IIRC were above us in the league at the time) came in with a much better last minute deal, and Mark accepted it.

Needless to say SUFC weren't happy but personally I don't really blame Mark or his agent. Yes, it was messy, and yes it was a bit underhand, but I doubt any of us would have done anything different.

Excellent, he is under 30 and can walk:thumbsup:

I like this signing. Deemed good enough at Palace to be on the bench a couple of times last season in Pre and also played and on the bench once this.

The 6 goals in 32 L1 games is in fact 6 in 22 starts and 10 sub appearance so better than it appears at first sight- and in struggling sides I believe. As the finished article at his age will always be out of our reach certainly the next best thing- could be inspired- if not we now has 6 other forwards...

On Wombles fanzine site Neil Ardley seemed pretty upset that Freddie was due to sign for them after a few weeks of negotiations and then walked out 10 minutes into the medical. I really good decision and perhaps the Chris Powell factor had much to do with it. Could work really well with Cox as a 6.2 striker

I am sure it did !

I think you've got that wrong. I happen to be friends with Mark Rawle's agent. From what I remember at the time, his agent told me that the deal wasn't very good because Mark was offered less than other players in the squad that weren't anywhere near as good, and certainly weren't in the team as often. The deal wasn't changed at the last minute, it just wasn't very good in the first place.

It seems the deal was reluctantly agreed and that he would sign the next day, but at the last minute Oxford (who IIRC were above us in the league at the time) came in with a much better last minute deal, and Mark accepted it.

Needless to say SUFC weren't happy but personally I don't really blame Mark or his agent. Yes, it was messy, and yes it was a bit underhand, but I doubt any of us would have done anything different.

Sorry then the agent lied to you, I was very good friends with Mark and this come from the horses mouth, the deal was agreed and Mark was on the way back when he got the call to say the deal was off as agreed, so he signed for Oxford
Despite the normal volley of abuse hurled at him from certain quarters he was very happy at Roots Hall, and you may remember his muted celebration when he scored on his return

UTS

Sorry then the agent lied to you, I was very good friends with Mark and this come from the horses mouth, the deal was agreed and Mark was on the way back when he got the call to say the deal was off as agreed, so he signed for Oxford
Despite the normal volley of abuse hurled at him from certain quarters he was very happy at Roots Hall, and you may remember his muted celebration when he scored on his return

UTS

So happy he came back to watch a few times. I bumped into him in the terraces at a match up north somewhere. Nice guy Mark or MC Remedy as he is now.

UTS

Either that or Mark lied to you...

UTS

Probably more to do with him forgetting what to do when he scored

Firstly welcome to the club FL

Secondly find it sooooo funny posters on here, saying Good lad for leaving through a medical what seemed a done deal

I remember the abuse Mark Rawle got on this site when he was suppose to have turned around the car around and driven to Oxford after agreeing a new deal with Ron Martin, the word Judas was on this board non stop ( And he didnot turn the car around to drive to Oxford, his deal was changed at the last minute),so just be careful if we bring him on ,offer him a deal and at the last minute buggers off

UTS

Mark Rawle signing for Oxford was a great day for Southend United.

So, is it the agent lied, or Mark lied.

There's only one way to find out! ....

Welcome to the club. Good to have a replacement for Ranger. :thumbsup: Looking forward to seeing him on the pitch.

Anyone know the timeline here? I fully suspect I am reading too much into this but is there the possibility that we signed Shayon (hopefully I have that right) on the basis that Ladapo was signing elsewhere ........... and then, heh ho, Ladapo does sign after all?

Anyone know the timeline here? I fully suspect I am reading too much into this but is there the possibility that we signed Shayon (hopefully I have that right) on the basis that Ladapo was signing elsewhere ........... and then, heh ho, Ladapo does sign after all?

The club were saying we were looking to sign 2 forwards so I suspect not.

Back