• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

No, it will only be detrimental if we, the supporters allow it to be. It is still going to be in his best interests to get the club moving onwards and upwards.

He's not come out and "dissed" the club, all he's really guilty of is not committing one way or another and is that not just down to speculation on the part of the supporters and the media?

Agreed. I'm not too sure about people saying 'untenable'. 'Untenable' for who ? There is still, as far as we all know, a contract between PB and the club for next season. The club (RM) as it stands don't want him to go unless (I presume) the agreed compensation is paid up. PB isn't going to resign and give up the remainder of his contract unless he's made a very attractive offer elsewhere and in any case Ron's not going to let him just walk away without the compensation he (SUFC) is due.

Surely this all goes with the territory. There is a contract in place to cover this eventuality and whoever breaks the contract is going to be liable for the financial/contractual implications. My view remains that Ron couldn't care less about some of the fans getting upset with Phil in the short term - he's gonna hang his hat on the compensation clause which we all assume is in the contract and the only way I see the situation becoming untenable is if PB is stupid enough to do something which warrants Ron sacking him for breach of contract. If Bolton offer the compo - he can go, if Bolton appoint someone else - this will all blow over. Ron should stick to his guns in my view.

Brown doesn't deal with contracts, so not sure either of them should be laid at his door. It's not for the want of trying either, the Club have been in discussion with them both for some time.

I don't think with Bentley's it's a matter of money, but of ambition. Although you'd have thought that the point of having a silver-tongued manager was that they could win over their players.

I sense a certain frustration in Payne at his lack of first team opportunities, like Corr last season.
Brown made the story all about him giving the ball away against Oldham and then came out with the usual nonsense that he wouldn't blame him, yet next game Payne is on the bench again.

He was dropped in March as well for the Crewe game after we lost at Port Vale.

He's going to win our player of the year by a comfortable distance but didn't get his second league start of the season until November and was dropped in March and April.

If he moves it's probably because he doesn't feel the manager trusts him.

Good on Sheridan. PB needs to take note.

If PB doesn't get the Bolton job, where does it leave him? At a club he doesn't want to be at with a chairman, players and fans who both know it

Some might say good on Wilder for distancing himself from the job as well and not letting it be a distraction.

Brown stil 6/4 fav for the job

Not sure how much that will be because of money already stuck on Tango?

No, it will only be detrimental if we, the supporters allow it to be. It is still going to be in his best interests to get the club moving onwards and upwards.

He's not come out and "dissed" the club, all he's really guilty of is not committing one way or another and is that not just down to speculation on the part of the supporters and the media?

With all the goings on, he has never come out and said ' I am very happy at Southend and I have no interest in any other job'. This speaks volumes for me. As has already been said, he needs to take a leaf out of Wilder's book

With all the goings on, he has never come out and said ' I am very happy at Southend and I have no interest in any other job'. This speaks volumes for me. As has already been said, he needs to take a leaf out of Wilder's book

Because to say he has no interest in any other job would be a blatant lie and at odds with his previous statements about his ambition.

That ambition has been stated as managing in the Premiership again and so might also include better Championship clubs with a realistic chance of promotion. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with this.

The interest in Bolton is based also on his history with them.

BUT the fact there are certain clubs he would like to manage at a higher level DOES NOT mean that he does not want to be here. He may be entirely happy to stay here if such an opportunity does not arise. Would our even most deliriously happy player stay here if Arsenal or Chelsea say came and offered them a 4 year contract on 100k a week? Even Mr.Barrett would be off in a flash..

Commiting to what? As far as I am aware - Bolton Wanderers have not made a firm offer to PB.
So, what is he meant to do? Tell us he is off...then wait and hope Holdsworth calls??

Commiting to what? As far as I am aware - Bolton Wanderers have not made a firm offer to PB.
So, what is he meant to do? Tell us he is off...then wait and hope Holdsworth calls??

Quite no approach, not even a conversation that PB could have even if he wanted to. And if he's not going to Bolton then he is happy here. So the surprise is that anyone is surprised.

Quite no approach, not even a conversation that PB could have even if he wanted to. And if he's not going to Bolton then he is happy here. So the surprise is that anyone is surprised.

So he won't have had a chat to his friend dean holdsworth about it? Maybe even off the record?

Implying that PB is a 'innocent' party in this saga is complete nonsense. He could of and has never denied any possibility of wanting to manage Bolton and fuelled the speculation by his comments. If he had done at any stage then the matter would have been finished.

Implying that PB is a 'innocent' party in this saga is complete nonsense. He could of and has never denied any possibility of wanting to manage Bolton and fuelled the speculation by his comments. If he had done at any stage then the matter would have been finished.

He was telling people and players behind the scenes that he wasn't going to Bolton, and he would see out his contract here, as he's proud of the fact that he has never broken a contract in all his footballing career.
Why there wasn't more forceful denials in public, only he knows. Like I said before, he was probably hoping to boost the new contract, using all the speculation that he's wanted by bigger clubs, as a bargaining tool.

Has anybody thought of checking at Culpeppers in Basildon to see if PB has extended his line dancing membership?

I gave them a call and they advised that he's had his membership revoked, as they are an organized dance class and he keeps turning up and suggesting they change the system every week.

NONSENSE!! Do you tell your boss that you are interested in another job BEFORE anything remotely concrete has evolved? NOOOOO!
Unless you are Pep, Jose etc - nobody gives their job up until they know where and when they have another job.#
Why on earth would PB say he wants to manage BWFC until they offer him the job?? They could offer it to numerous people and Phil would look a complete idiot and possibly have no job. He has not forgotten how long he was out of work before getting the job at Roots Hall.

Incredible comments!

Following on from my call, I felt a bit sorry for PB, so I looked up some other local dance classes he might consider enrolling in :-

Lying Dancing

This one involves committing each week to the class, whilst looking at other classes down the road to possibly join

Loan Dancing

Each week a new set of people turn up and sit on the sidelines watching everyone else

Lean Dancing

This might appeal as it's for those that aren't having a good time of it of late. A kind of pick-me-up dance group

Lion Dancing

Not sure he'll be so keen on this one, as a dance group comes down from South East London and runs rings around him

Loon Dancing

Brian Horton's new class he has just started up

Following on from my call, I felt a bit sorry for PB, so I looked up some other local dance classes he might consider enrolling in :-

Lying Dancing

This one involves committing each week to the class, whilst looking at other classes down the road to possibly join

Loan Dancing

Each week a new set of people turn up and sit on the sidelines watching everyone else

Lean Dancing

This might appeal as it's for those that aren't having a good time of it of late. A kind of pick-me-up dance group

Lion Dancing

Not sure he'll be so keen on this one, as a dance group comes down from South East London and runs rings around him

Loon Dancing

Brian Horton's new class he has just started up

Many would suggest the he works on his FOXTROT .

And the his general BALLroom routines are wrong and need practice from short halts and especially going forward.

His WALTZ is not a classic.

But he is very very good at, and partial a TANGO​; so rumour has it.

NONSENSE!! Do you tell your boss that you are interested in another job BEFORE anything remotely concrete has evolved? NOOOOO!
Unless you are Pep, Jose etc - nobody gives their job up until they know where and when they have another job.#
Why on earth would PB say he wants to manage BWFC until they offer him the job?? They could offer it to numerous people and Phil would look a complete idiot and possibly have no job. He has not forgotten how long he was out of work before getting the job at Roots Hall.

Incredible comments!

I suggest you read my post again and not try and twist my comments.

I stand by my comment that if PB is very happy at the club and has every intention of seeing out his contract then a public statement to this effect at the start would of ended all this speculation and this 'saga', which like he said has effected the players and also many supporters.

What? After 33 pages of guess work, theories and insider knowledge ........ and we are still no further forward. :'(

I can tell you some inside info. I did tell you that I was fitting his new TV on Monday. It could have easily remained on its stand on the side board. But no I had to pop down Waitrose and get anew wall bracket as the old one didn't fit. £59.99. He didn't even keep the TV box, straight out with the rubbish.

To me that's a clear statement of his commitment to Southend. So lets now concentrate on Saturdays match as its the last home game. The players don't deserve to be judged on the Wigan performance.

I have it on good authority that PB RM and SK had a long meeting last night and he is apparently staying. He is currently sorting pre season and the tour. I can only imagine that he was interested, but wanted assurances over budget etc for next year before committing.

Back