• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your sounding like a hypocrite to me. You abhor violence especially football related, but expect our stewards to except a kicking because they get £26.50 and are insured....unbelievable.

Not quite the point I was making, but I can see why you've picked up on it.

The point was that there are people who choose - for a (small) fee - to act as a steward. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the stewards are there not to police the game but steward it, which is usually what they do. The security staff are more used to the breaking up violence bit, which again, 99% of times they manage to do without it all kicking off. My comment about the pay and insurance was more directed at the security staff than the stewards, so sorry for not making that particularly clear.

Anyhow, the fact that a security member is getting set about in the course of trying to do their job should be a signal for other stewards/security staff to come to their aid; it is not the green light for some random member of the crowd to leave the stand, walk/run across to the opposition fans (the video shows him actually NOT trying to go for the ones attacking the security guy, but someone probably just gobbing off who was at the front) and start punching people.

As I say, I hate violence, but I'm not naive enough to think that everyone is going to sit down politely clapping every goal and congratulating the opposition when we lose.

Was trying to read through the whole thread but just far too tedious. Not sure if it's already been said, but well done to the chap who went and lamped the animal worriers. He shouldn't be banned, he should get a free season ticket.

I think SK needs to put his hand up and take the blame for the whole fiasco himself. As others have rightly said the ticketing was poor and the police in the ground virtually non existent.

Anyone who went to Col U on Boxing day must have known there would be trouble at Saturdays game if you don't have a police presence inside the ground. If you remember when we left their ground they had loads of military style police with combats tucked into boots just to stop you cutting across that grass verge. Their stewards had struggled to keep order when our young idiots had tried to invade the pitch. I remember seeing some very nervous young stewards, who looked like they had been dragged out of the tea bar to bolster their numbers and of course if you have no physical presence then people will take advantage.

Why we never learnt a lesson from their money saving mistakes just six weeks ago should be explained by SK himself.
I doubt when our stewards singed up, they thought for one moment that they would be expected to actually police such a game.

sensible post by the club. They need to be condemning the actions. Rightly or wrongly we come out of this looking the bad guys on account of the footage. Behind the scenes hopefully plenty of thought going into lessons learnt but gut tells me the fine will be less than the police bill for Saturday.

Hence why those Southend fans reacted to the coin throwing, Steward thumping Colchester fans!!! They were the only ones who showed any interest in protecting themselves and everyone associated with our lub....shockingly the police did nothing, the stewards tried.

If the Colchester fans had broken through then I suspect that these fans that people are condemning would have been the only thing stopping innocent fans from being caught up initially let alone in the middle of things....much like when some Southend fans held off the crazed Swansea fans all them years ago.
This is spot on, the sanctimonious tits who are whining would indeed have been protected by many of our fans in block x.

Like it or not, this incident has certainly put Southend United 'on the map', I've had countless people contacting me this weekend to talk about 'your nutter', the Millwall guys I work with were particularly interested/impressed (shock).
I'm not saying that is a good thing, but it certainly is a fact.

So many experts on here making assumptions. Let me see.....

1/ We are 100% nailed on to get a fine from the FA (what a crystal ball you guys have)

2/ The bloke who slapped the Col U mob did it twice (clueless, it was 2 very different people)

3/ The bloke who slapped the Col U mob will lose his job (he might be self employed or unemployed)

4/ Ron wouldn't pay for enough police to be present (explain the 20 or so sitting in the car park then)

To top it all now we have someone jumping up and down on their soap box banging on about domestic violence, while we are at it let's get it all off our chests, Iraq war, Tony Blair, North Korean human rights record and the Collymore money, anyone fancy a bit of ghost hunting ? Need to get in touch with Vic to find out where that really went.

I could go on but i'm getting bored now, off to do a bit of wife beating or possibly get a good kicking off her if she finds out I went to Shrewsbury on Tuesday night and wasn't doing overtime :smile:

Before the incident, I noticed fighting between our own supporters at the front of V Block. What was this about?

Not quite the point I was making, but I can see why you've picked up on it.

The point was that there are people who choose - for a (small) fee - to act as a steward. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the stewards are there not to police the game but steward it, which is usually what they do. The security staff are more used to the breaking up violence bit, which again, 99% of times they manage to do without it all kicking off. My comment about the pay and insurance was more directed at the security staff than the stewards, so sorry for not making that particularly clear.

Anyhow, the fact that a security member is getting set about in the course of trying to do their job should be a signal for other stewards/security staff to come to their aid
; it is not the green light for some random member of the crowd to leave the stand, walk/run across to the opposition fans (the video shows him actually NOT trying to go for the ones attacking the security guy, but someone probably just gobbing off who was at the front) and start punching people.

As I say, I hate violence, but I'm not naive enough to think that everyone is going to sit down politely clapping every goal and congratulating the opposition when we lose.

If security staff are being assaulted then its a signal for the police to come to their aid not other stewards. This of course did not happen on Saturday because the club had made a money saving decision that bordered on criminally negligent.

With just 20 police forming a line in the NW corner, then the whole afternoon would have been different and we certainly would not have had anyone running across the pitch.

With the news that there has been a number of arrests over a pre-match fight on Boxing day I'm surprised the police did not overrule the clubs decision about police in the ground. But then again I know from my experiences in other walks of life that the modern day penny saving police authorities are happy to avoid work were they can.

Like it or not, this incident has certainly put Southend United 'on the map', I've had countless people contacting me this weekend to talk about 'your nutter', the Millwall guys I work with were particularly interested/impressed (shock).
I'm not saying that is a good thing, but it certainly is a fact.
He hit a 17 year old and will possibly do time and lose his job, he's a hero!

He hit a 17 year old and will possibly do time and lose his job, he's a hero!

The same 17 year old that was giving it large the whole game and was stood right next to the chaps throwing punches at the stewards. Sounds like an angel.

Again you assume he is employed but you don't know that.

The same 17 year old that was giving it large the whole game and was stood right next to the chaps throwing punches at the stewards. Sounds like an angel.

Again you assume he is employed but you don't know that.
I'm not standing up for the kid, I'm just saying what's a fact. Hitting a kid is hardly something to be proud of, if the bloke gets hero status for giving it to the Col U mob as some on here have put it then he could have found a bigger target! Not much of a hard man! But then hooligans never really are, and I count any Colchester ones in with that too.

Yeah you're probably correct, I doubt that bloke has a job.

If security staff are being assaulted then its a signal for the police to come to their aid not other stewards. This of course did not happen on Saturday because the club had made a money saving decision that bordered on criminally negligent.

With just 20 police forming a line in the NW corner, then the whole afternoon would have been different and we certainly would not have had anyone running across the pitch.

With the news that there has been a number of arrests over a pre-match fight on Boxing day I'm surprised the police did not overrule the clubs decision about police in the ground. But then again I know from my experiences in other walks of life that the modern day penny saving police authorities are happy to avoid work were they can.

Well on that point we are agreed. After Boxing Day, I'm surprised that there wasn't more of a police presence in the ground.

Before the incident, I noticed fighting between our own supporters at the front of V Block. What was this about?

Some people were standing at the front of the stand and obscuring my view of the game. When I told them to move I received a rude reply. I responded in kind and the other gentlemen and his mate took exception to my utterance.

I received an apology after the game which I accepted and suggested I could also have conducted myself differently. Just flared tempers and some finger pointing, nothing more.

I'm not standing up for the kid, I'm just saying what's a fact. Hitting a kid is hardly something to be proud of, if the bloke gets hero status for giving it to the Col U mob as some on here have put it then he could have found a bigger target! Not much of a hard man! But then hooligans never really are, and I count any Colchester ones in with that too.

Yeah you're probably correct, I doubt that bloke has a job.

Throwing coins at children or hitting female stewards is nothing to be proud of either.

I'm not digging you out because your are a Col U fan but don't come on here claiming that this 17 year old was some innocent little child who got bullied by some Southend thug. If anything he may have taught him and his silly little friends and important lesson in life.

Throwing coins at children or hitting female stewards is nothing to be proud of either.

I'm not digging you out because your are a Col U fan but don't come on here claiming that this 17 year old was some innocent little child who got bullied by some Southend thug. If anything he may have taught him and his silly little friends and important lesson in life.

That if someone runs onto a football pitch and punches someone it's likely to be the last football match they go to for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back