• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Interesting thing for me on this thread is not that everyone hankers after former players - that's fairly standard - but that the consensus seems to be that what ever centre half we sign is going 'alongside Bolger'.
Bolger's clearly redeemed himself in everyone's eyes then and is a automatic first choice? Quite a turnaround if true.

Interesting thing for me on this thread is not that everyone hankers after former players - that's fairly standard - but that the consensus seems to be that what ever centre half we sign is going 'alongside Bolger'.
Bolger's clearly redeemed himself in everyone's eyes then and is a automatic first choice? Quite a turnaround if true.

I still don't feel comfortable watching Bolger on the ball, but there's no denying he has improved. However, I would still choose Prosser over Bolger next season as he cancels out any aerial threats immediately with his solid headers.

Yes i think Bolger is more than capable. Anyway he wasn't THAT bad before, okay there was the two stupid red cards and a pretty awful performance at Luton but apart from that he wasn't bad, people had just already decided they didn't like him.

He has been brilliant recently and is a much better centre back than Prosser and Thompson IMO.

Anyone who thinks we're just sitting back and waiting on signings is very naive. We will have identified a list of transfer targets and even if the manager is away, there will be others working behind the scenes. As far as recruitment goes, we have a scouting team which is more than most at this level. But, players are on holiday, managers are on holiday and as I say this time every year, not much really happens until mid June to be honest. Chill out, have a barbecue and enjoy the break.

I think Bolger is much improved, but he's always going to be one of those players who make the crowd take a deep breath when they have the ball at their feet. I'd actually fancy Thompson to get by at a higher level more than Bolger or Prosser though - both are fairly industrial in the way they defend.

Anyone who thinks we're just sitting back and waiting on signings is very naive. We will have identified a list of transfer targets and even if the manager is away, there will be others working behind the scenes. As far as recruitment goes, we have a scouting team which is more than most at this level. But, players are on holiday, managers are on holiday and as I say this time every year, not much really happens until mid June to be honest. Chill out, have a barbecue and enjoy the break.

This 1000000%^

We still lack pace up top.

I see nathan delfonso is available as is theo robinson and saun wright phillips

I still don't feel comfortable watching Bolger on the ball, but there's no denying he has improved. However, I would still choose Prosser over Bolger next season as he cancels out any aerial threats immediately with his solid headers.

Football is a funny thing - I see the opposite to you. :unsure: :smile: :omg:

A list of Championship players who are free agents now.

Championship released.

Ian Harte,
Josh McQuoid,
Benji Buchel,
Joe Partington,
Mohamed Coulibaly,
Miles Addison,
Darryl Flanhavan,
Vujadin Savic,
Marco Motta,
Luke O'Nien,
Elliott Hewitt,
Jack Marriott,
Paul Anderson,
Darren Ambrose,
Stephen Hunt,
Noel Hunt,
Leon Clarke,
Jake Cassidy,
Kevin Doyle,
Jamie Ward,
Lee Naylor,
Mark O'Brien,
Shaun Barker,
Tom Naylor,
Zak Whitbread,
John Eustace,
David Dunn,
Chris Taylor,
Luke Varney,
Paul Robinson,
Will Packwood,
Nikola Zigic,
Kevin McNaughton,
Danny Gabbidon,
Nicky Maynard,
Tal Ben Haim,
Simon Church,
Chris Eagles,
Roger Johnson,
Lawrie Wilson,
Oguchi Onyewu,
Neil Etheridge,
Danny Collins, TBC
Dan Harding, TBC
Greg Halford, TBC
Alex Cairns,
Stuart Taylor,
Zac Thompson,
Michael Tonge,
Aidy White,
Rodolph Austin,
Anthony Gerrard,
Jonathan Stead,
Martin Paterson,
Jake Carroll,
Daniel Carr,
Jermaine Beckford,
Matt Mills,
Keith Andrews,
Craig Davies,
Andrew Lonergan,
Craig Mackail-Smith,
Kemy Agustien,
Aaron Hughes,
Vitalijs Maksimenko,
Paddy McCourt,
Danny Guthrie,
Yakubu,
Zat Knight,
Marc Antoine Fortune,
Steven Davies,
Tomasz Cywka,
Nathan Delfouneso,
Jacob Mellis,
Nyron Nosworthy,
Francois Zoko,
Jay Emmanuel Thomas,

Some very useful names on that list, the majority though I'd imagine will end up at another Championship club or would simply want to much money to come here. A couple though like Jake Cassidy who I'm a fan of and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas (though I believe he left Bristol City because he wanted to much money) would be great freebies.

I know people are saying we will be okay next season with a couple of extra players .... but I am agog when I see the list of very experienced players available ..... :'(

that's probably in part because he's been playing recently, has improved a lot and has the potential.
i never rated Thompson before this season but he's improved so maybe that could be the partnership

that's probably in part because he's been playing recently, has improved a lot and has the potential.
i never rated Thompson before this season but he's improved so maybe that could be the partnership
I agree, in terms of ability I'd be very happy with Bolger & Thompson as our first string CB pairing, I just wonder whether we need a more experienced head in there. If Brown thinks not then I'll trust him on that.

They may want rediculous wages but when they still haven't found a club at the end of July I'm guessing they may have to be realistic.

Craig mackal Smith was a cracking player at posh but seems to have lost his way.

I think one thing that Phil Brown has that Tilly didn't is pulling power. He is a well known manager with lots of contacts and also is a very good talker . That can be the difference at times.

We do need some better quality of player if we are to have a real crack at promotion next season . I'm not knocking the players that we have as they good honest pro's who give there all but there are one or two positions that need competition and one or two players that may get found out in league 1.

I trust Phil and the team to make the right choices and I'm sure Ron will back him financially.

Get real most of those wouldn't touch Southend with a bargepole. Jay Emmanuel Thomas is signing for QPR who will pay him about 10times what we can. Most of those names are players who's careers are on a downward spiral. Not the sort of player I would think brown would go for as he has tended to sign much younger players with perhaps the exception of Barrett and Barnard.

Get real most of those wouldn't touch Southend with a bargepole. Jay Emmanuel Thomas is signing for QPR who will pay him about 10times what we can. Most of those names are players who's careers are on a downward spiral. Not the sort of player I would think brown would go for as he has tended to sign much younger players with perhaps the exception of Barrett and Barnard.

That is of course assuming that they were brown signings in the... oh i can't be bothered :winking:

whilst
I think Bolger is much improved, but he's always going to be one of those players who make the crowd take a deep breath when they have the ball at their feet. I'd actually fancy Thompson to get by at a higher level more than Bolger or Prosser though - both are fairly industrial in the way they defend.

From the moment Bolger came on for the injured Thompson he proved he is by far the best in the air at our club. I know Barrett and Bentley have had lots of praise for our brilliant defensive end of season form but I think Bolger should be put in the same bracket. Barrett's 'sweeping' role was made all the more easier by Bolger winning nearly ever header he challenges for.

I know some people still want to judge him on his passing, but I don't care if a centre back puts the ball out 30yds inside their half whilst trying to bring Worrall in the game. Its not in a dangerous position and is clearly a managers instruction.
What is important for a CB is to be good in the air and brave in the tackle. Bolger has plenty of those two qualities (not doubting the others commitment). With a bit more confidence he can deliver that elusive 6 or 7 goals from set pieces we certainly need.

whilst

From the moment Bolger came on for the injured Thompson he proved he is by far the best in the air at our club. I know Barrett and Bentley have had lots of praise for our brilliant defensive end of season form but I think Bolger should be put in the same bracket. Barrett's 'sweeping' role was made all the more easier by Bolger winning nearly ever header he challenges for.

I know some people still want to judge him on his passing, but I don't care if a centre back puts the ball out 30yds inside their half whilst trying to bring Worrall in the game. Its not in a dangerous position and is clearly a managers instruction.
What is important for a CB is to be good in the air and brave in the tackle. Bolger has plenty of those two qualities (not doubting the others commitment). With a bit more confidence he can deliver that elusive 6 or 7 goals from set pieces we certainly need.

I agree, but it's a question of who to pair him up with. You can't go Thompson as they are both right footed and I'd be reluctant to go with Prosser and Bolger as I think they have the same strengths and weaknesses - we'd end up with 2 Bolger's at the back. For that reason I think Brown will sign someone, but if he didn't I think it would be Prosser and Thompson for me.

I'd like to see us also try and get Louis Laing from Forest. His contract is out soon and he impressed while on loan at Notts County at the first part of the season and again at Motherwell. Forest are still considering whether or not to take up an option on him for another season.

Back