• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'd like to see us also try and get Louis Laing from Forest. His contract is out soon and he impressed while on loan at Notts County at the first part of the season and again at Motherwell. Forest are still considering whether or not to take up an option on him for another season.

You'd like to think Dougie would help an old club out and sell Southend to the youngster

You'd like to think Dougie would help an old club out and sell Southend to the youngster

You'd hope so.

Another possible signing could be James Keatings. Recently released by Hearts after their promotion, only 23 yet scored 11 from 33 games (half as a sub) this season and managed 15 from 35 games at Hamilton in the season before that. Could be a good partner for Corr next season.

You'd hope so.

Another possible signing could be James Keatings. Recently released by Hearts after their promotion, only 23 yet scored 11 from 33 games (half as a sub) this season and managed 15 from 35 games at Hamilton in the season before that. Could be a good partner for Corr next season.

I think if we were still in L2 I'd be more keen on a signing like that. Someone who was released by a Scottish club who clearly don't believe that this player is good enough for the SPL would worry me given that we are stepping up to a level that IMHO is slightly higher than SPL standard (Celtic aside). Hearts absolutely blitzed the Scottish Championship last season too, I reckon any striker could have scored a few with the chances they created.

The fact that Straker couldn't get into the York squad but ended up going to an SPL side on loan would be a concern when picking up players from the Scottish lower leagues. Worth a trial? Maybe (Keatings not Straker!). :smile:

Yes i think Bolger is more than capable. Anyway he wasn't THAT bad before, okay there was the two stupid red cards and a pretty awful performance at Luton but apart from that he wasn't bad, people had just already decided they didn't like him.

He has been brilliant recently and is a much better centre back than Prosser and Thompson IMO.

I think Bolger is much improved, but he's always going to be one of those players who make the crowd take a deep breath when they have the ball at their feet. I'd actually fancy Thompson to get by at a higher level more than Bolger or Prosser though - both are fairly industrial in the way they defend.

Interesting thing for me is that all three seem to have shown marked improvement since Barrett entered the fray. I know from the horse's mouth he's been working with Bolger but it seems like everyone has benefitted. Something's working as we all seem to have noticed improvements in Thompson, Prosser and Bolger when there used to be well expressed doubts about them all.

Interesting thing for me is that all three seem to have shown marked improvement since Barrett entered the fray. I know from the horse's mouth he's been working with Bolger but it seems like everyone has benefitted. Something's working as we all seem to have noticed improvements in Thompson, Prosser and Bolger when there used to be well expressed doubts about them all.

I think this Barrett praising is starting to go a bit over the top. Yes, he may have helped Bolger, but Thompson was playing well long before Barrett turned up!!

I think this Barrett praising is starting to go a bit over the top. Yes, he may have helped Bolger, but Thompson was playing well long before Barrett turned up!!

I think a lot of people are forgetting he was probably our best centre back before he got injured.

I'm not unambitious in saying this because I have no doubt Ron will back Phil. It's great discussing transfer targets, but this promotion is also an opportunity to improve financially. I'd be interested to know how we are approaching the season ahead finanically just as much as we are players we could or should sign.

... does anybody else think this?

Should we lose one of our 'keepers, I'd take Wes Foderingham, who has been released by Swindon as back up to Bentley or first choice if Bentley does leave (which I can't see happening this summer).

Should we lose one of our 'keepers, I'd take Wes Foderingham, who has been released by Swindon as back up to Bentley or first choice if Bentley does leave (which I can't see happening this summer).
No chance of that happening, he's been first choice and only released as they can't agree a new deal, Birmingham, Sheffield Wednesday and a few other Championship clubs are reportedly in talks

My mate just fitted carpets around Stuart Nelson Gillingham keepers house. He's about to be released and has only had an offer from York, apparentley he's desperate for somewhere closer to home. No idea if he's any good? but an option if we lose Bentley i'd guess.

I remember PB saying before the Morecambe game, that if we could secure promotion before the play offs we could start doing business earlier than last year, where play off involvment meant a team has to wait to discover what divison they were in and what target list from those drawn up for each divison you are working from.

Well, we didn't avoid the play offs and thankfully we went up, so now that he is back and we have announced the first 3 players to leave, freeing up some salary budget, I would hope we might see some inward activity soon. Not all of it for sure, but if we have a list of targets, then, if holidays have not interferred too much, we may be able to land our first target sooner, rather than later.

Stuart Nelson was doing very well for Gills until suffering an injury which seemed to set him back and perhaps knock his confidence. He was replaced by our ex keeper Glenn Morris who has stepped up as No.2 to play an absolute blinder towards the latter part of the season.
Gills boss Scally is helping Manager Justin Edinburgh to recruit Newport players. He also claimed they were being offered players on an hourly basis, although said he was surprised at some of the terms being asked for by players in the lower leagues.Some Conference clubs were apparently paying in excess of Gills highest paid players .
They are desperate to sign the excellent Centre back Max Ehmer who was superb for them on loan from QPR. Wouldnt it be nice to snatch him from under their noses if QPR let him go?

P.S Egan was Gills player of the year, if they get Max Ehmer as well , they will outclass us by some miles at the back having just picked up Newports right back, this is the sort of standard we need to aim for , even if Barratt gives us one great last finale, with the ever improving Bolger

Back