• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Holding out hope it could still be shown overseas. The Rochdale v Leeds game was on ESPN in Oz for UK 3pm kick off so maybe us exiles may get to see it after all. Maybe....

That is a joke, who on earth is interested in watching Arsenal dick Coventry 5-0 at home or even worse Sheffield United/Norwich vs Fulham????. Southend vs Hull on a Friday night for me would have been a decent game which would attract a half decent viewing whoever picked those 5 is clearly not wired correctly.

We've had more of our fair share of TV coverage over the recent past so we can't complain. Chelsea v Stoke will bring a few customers into long suffering boozers Southend v Hull won't - supply and demand, simple as that.

Of course we can complain, it's what we're good at! :smile:

Big club merchant? Because I'd rather watch West Ham get thrashed? West Ham, big club? :hilarious:

Going to go against what most people think, but I don't actually mind the Premiership. Watching top quality players play a sport I love, I must be the devil right?

Oh yeah and I don't have Sky Sports and BT on my TV at home so I don't have it "thurst down my throat" every week.

You say the cup is about underdogs, which is right, but before you say that Arsenal vs Coventry isn't that because Arsenal are at home. Surely that is a bigger story if a smaller club goes to the home of the giants and beat them.

Hull are barely giants either and they will be playing their reserves, which you said in your first post shouldn't be scheduled for TV.

I am interested to know what you think of the following:-

http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/11/manch...it-could-be-bad-news-for-david-moyes-4225389/

The bottom line is that nobody cares about Southend United v Hull City...except Southend United and Hull City!

What you are saying is that no-one cares about giant-killing.

I'm not going to watch an all premiership FA Cup clash (except the final). I would potentially watch a 4th division team at home to a 1st division team because that is what the cup is about.

Not surprised, as far as "global reputation" goes Man Utd will always be top in this country. Bit like saying "no I'd rather not watch Barcelona or Real Madrid, lets put on Rayo Vallecano".

If I don't want to watch it on TV then I won't, simple as but the fact is there millions over the would want to watch Man Utd play yet you are saying that ITV and BT should not cater for those of the many but those of the few?

Bet you'd be pretty annoyed if they chose to show 2 non-league teams play each other in the cup rather than us against a Premiership team.

Not surprised, as far as "global reputation" goes Man Utd will always be top in this country. Bit like saying "no I'd rather not watch Barcelona or Real Madrid, lets put on Rayo Vallecano".

If I don't want to watch it on TV then I won't, simple as but the fact is there millions over the would want to watch Man Utd play yet you are saying that ITV and BT should not cater for those of the many but those of the few?

Bet you'd be pretty annoyed if they chose to show 2 non-league teams play each other in the cup rather than us against a Premiership team.

Yes I am annoyed because it affects us, but the problem is more far reaching than that. There are a handful of clubs who dominate the media in this country, disproportionately so. And I am not having a downer on the premiership per se. If I lived in Liverpool and was an Evertonian, I would be apoplectic with how much coverage those darling Scousers from down the road get; BBC, ITV and the press are obsessive about them. There just needs to be more BALANCE and if that means showing 2 non-league sides instead of us, then for the long term good I would be all for it.

Yes I am annoyed because it affects us, but the problem is more far reaching than that. There are a handful of clubs who dominate the media in this country, disproportionately so. And I am not having a downer on the premiership per se. If I lived in Liverpool and was an Evertonian, I would be apoplectic with how much coverage those darling Scousers from down the road get; BBC, ITV and the press are obsessive about them. There just needs to be more BALANCE and if that means showing 2 non-league sides instead of us, then for the long term good I would be all for it.

Until there is a demand outside of the top clubs, this won't happen. Sadly this will take time, but there are signs of demand increasing.

Sky show some JPT fixtures which are only lower league clubs. BT Sport show regular conference games as well. BBC have a dedicated highlights show on covering the football leagues. Sky also show some lower league matches live, we've been covered the last couple of seasons like games against Gillingham and Crawley.

Games like Arsenal vs Man City will always be more popular than lower league games, therefore will get more coverage. What is needed is more coverage going down the leagues and probably more money too.

people saying that other people are not interested in southend united v hull? what makes Sheff Utd v either boring prem teams Norwich or Fulham such an inticing game that needs to be televised to gain such a worldwide audience? id say our match has more flavour and glamour about it with Phil Brown being quite a big part of Hull's history and controversy when he was there

Haven't read the posts on this thread , but I am amazed we were not chosen !
The main 'draw' in terms of neutral interest has to be a lower league team at home to someone higher up ( preferably Prem ).
After our performance against Millwall and Browns connection with Hull/Prem League , I would have thought ours was a certainty.
Understand that the Prem clubs have global interest etc , but Chelsea at home to Stoke has nothing going for it at all.
If Stoke win , it is Cup surprise not a Cup shock.

The magic of the FA Cup really is dead, I mean our game with Hull has all the romance one could want surely? The old manager, the chance of a giant killing yet they decide to stick some premier league tie on.. sod tv.

The magic of the FA Cup really is dead, I mean our game with Hull has all the romance one could want surely? The old manager, the chance of a giant killing yet they decide to stick some premier league tie on.. sod tv.

Agreed. Chelsea vs Stoke would be well down the list on MOTD this season. Miffed that we've missed out to that fixture. The others I can understand.

What, even a premiershite club who play virtually their second string? I thought the West Ham team on Sunday was a disgrace. Who wants to watch 2nd XI football on TV? The TV companies need to get some form of committment from these clubs that they will take the competition seriously by fielding their first team players, before agreeing to broadcast it. Any true football fan would have preferred to watch Rochdale v Leeds (both teams taking the cup seriously), than the glorified friendly at Forest.

Doubt it, Id never watch that game.

If I watch a game on TV, which these days is pretty rare, then there has to be some thing to grab my attention, that one certainly doesnt.

They havent, they have put on a mixture of games from small teams vs big teams to Premiership only ties.

Disappointing to not be included as there is a story of the old manager etc but that still doesnt make Southend vs Hull very interesting to the neutral.

Disappointed, and slightly surprised, that we weren't selected but I can understand the reasoning. The motives for both ITV and BT Sport are to maximise viewing figures both in the UK and, increasingly, worldwide. ITV want to sell advertising and BT Sport advertising and subscriptions. Their role is not to prop up financially ailing football clubs and penniless Chairmen (that's what Sainsbury's are for!).

Both companies selected one blatant "ratings" fixture each and the other three are all genuine potential upsets and could be described as "Romance of the Cup" type games. With Arsenal already on, Man United out and Liverpool included in the "giant killing" selections, that last ratings fixture was always going to be Chelsea whoever and wherever they played. Man City don't yet have the global market share of the other 4 big clubs. So that's why it's a crap fixture like Chelsea v Stoke on.

Looking at the other three, Bournemouth/Burton and Stevenage were obvious choices as they combine all the right reasons with the added attraction of big name opposition. So it came down to a simple choice between us and Sheff Utd for the third match. What did they take into account? Best facilities for the broadcasters' requirements ? Perhaps our floodlight failure didn't go unnoticed. The strength of the team put out by the opponents in the previous round? Hull's first team has only barely the aura of Premiership class, their fringe players less so. I know there's little to get excited about with Norwich and Fulham too. But a marginal choice either way, I'd say.

I think BBC would have been all over our fixture with the Phil Brown thing (Jimmy Bullard in the studio, the whole works) but if you want to blame someone for the Chelsea v Stoke fixture blame the FA for selling rights to those companies without stipulating any wider criteria with regard to selection. Mind you the money (or that part of it which is distributed right down to winners of grassroots earlier ties as well as the rounds proper) comes in handy.

I think BBC would have been all over our fixture with the Phil Brown thing .

unfortunately the BBC doesn't have the TV rights until next season . The top guy on MOTD is a lifelong SUFC fan (Phil Bigwood) which might help us if we are in this position next year, although having said that it could work against us

What, even a premiershite club who play virtually their second string? I thought the West Ham team on Sunday was a disgrace. Who wants to watch 2nd XI football on TV? The TV companies need to get some form of committment from these clubs that they will take the competition seriously by fielding their first team players, before agreeing to broadcast it. Any true football fan would have preferred to watch Rochdale v Leeds (both teams taking the cup seriously), than the glorified friendly at Forest.

I am happy to watch any West Ham team lose five nil.

Back