• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Just started Mark Hadon's excellent collection of short stories.The Pier Falls.

The title story is surely destined to become a short story classic.

Must be every Southend fan's worst nightmare (after SUFC going bankrupt, I suppose).

I'm sure this was recommended by someone on here, but can't for the life of me find who. Anyway, just finished Ben Smith's 'Journeyman', which is an excellent read. Refreshing and honest, detailing the lower leagues dealings that go on every day. Was certainly an eye-opener, only a tiny bit on Southend, but still a cracking read. The portrait he paints of Steve Evans is a joy, although I did pause more than once to wonder if our very own El Tango has very similar characteristics!

I'm sure this was recommended by someone on here, but can't for the life of me find who. Anyway, just finished Ben Smith's 'Journeyman', which is an excellent read. Refreshing and honest, detailing the lower leagues dealings that go on every day. Was certainly an eye-opener, only a tiny bit on Southend, but still a cracking read. The portrait he paints of Steve Evans is a joy, although I did pause more than once to wonder if our very own El Tango has very similar characteristics!

brilliant book, i really enjoyed that one

The Grapes of Wrath. A book that I've intended to read for sometime. It really is a classic and the ending is certainly, er, different.

Holiday reads - The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monks Kidd, Viv Albertine's autobiog Clothes.....Music......Boys, and All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. All different and all great page turners.

Just finished Suffolk Shrimper's Roots to the 92 in four days, really enjoyed it partly because it puts our current woes into perspective. As long as there's always a Southend United, whatever level we happen to be at, we'll all have somewhere to go on a Saturday with friends and family and enjoy the camaraderie that the game brings.

Andy's quest spans five decades and the tales within it of friends/acquainances made in pubs and terraces all over the country make you realise how lucky we are to support a club like ours. Even if we are crap at the moment.

Back