• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I've just finished The Man In The High Castle. now I find myself wondered what the hell that was all about.

something something Allies lost WW2, something something America split between Nazi and Japanese, something something Japanese spirituality in America, something something eh?.

and that, ladies and gentlemen, is why i'm not a literary critic

I've just finished The Man In The High Castle. now I find myself wondered what the hell that was all about.

something something Allies lost WW2, something something America split between Nazi and Japanese, something something Japanese spirituality in America, something something eh?.

and that, ladies and gentlemen, is why i'm not a literary critic

You can watch season one of the Man in the High Castle on Netflix if you have access. As it was made for American audiences it's quite easy to follow. Probably nothing like the book though.

Later - Cancel that, I can't find the thing on there.

Last edited:
You can watch season one of the Man in the High Castle on Netflix if you have access. As it was made for American audiences it's quite easy to follow. Probably nothing like the book though.

Later - Cancel that, I can't find the thing on there.

Amazon Prime I think.

after The Man In The High Castle i read George Orwell's The Lion And The Unicorn. Some really good stuff in there but some of it is dated and very much of his time.

there is some good stuff though and some of the stuff about England I found stirring some patriotic feelings in me (not difficult) but Orwell does come across as a bit of a nob in his writing style.

Now reading Helen Dunmore's book The Lie. meh so far but only 70 pages in

after The Man In The High Castle i read George Orwell's The Lion And The Unicorn. Some really good stuff in there but some of it is dated and very much of his time.

there is some good stuff though and some of the stuff about England I found stirring some patriotic feelings in me (not difficult) but Orwell does come across as a bit of a nob in his writing style.

Now reading Helen Dunmore's book The Lie. meh so far but only 70 pages in

Nonsense.Orwell was a wonderful writer.

Nonsense.Orwell was a wonderful writer.

you prove my point so eloquently

A not unblack dog was chasing a not unsmall rabbit across a not ungreen field. An example of unnecessarily redundant and obfuscating language, from a man who studied such usage.

Perhaps this could be termed Orwell's dog. In a footnote to his classic essay, “Politics and the English Language,” George Orwell notes that, “One can cure oneself of the not un- formation by memorizing this sentence.”reference 1

1. Orwell, George. 1946. Politics and the English Language. In In Front of Your Nose, 1945-1950, edited by I. S. O. Angus. Boston: David R Godine

The Nowhere men by Michael Calvin. What goes on in the weird world of football scouting.

Wordy and Freddy both get mentioned as does Bob Shaw. Still non the wiser about the later though:thumbdown:
Jack Buckland's nightmare for Cheltenham also covered along with a plug for The fish house.
Oh and old Buzz is now head scout in Spain for Manchester City

The Nowhere men by Michael Calvin. What goes on in the weird world of football scouting.

Wordy and Freddy both get mentioned as does Bob Shaw. Still non the wiser about the later though:thumbdown:
Jack Buckland's nightmare for Cheltenham also covered along with a plug for The fish house.
Oh and old Buzz is now head scout in Spain for Manchester City

Just finished this book and thoroughly enjoyed it. It really does highlight how poorly paid and treated scouts are. When they're the ones spotting the gems who make clubs millions it's the agents who get better deals than the scouts.

Lots of Southend United mentions in there as mentioned above and some mentions of ex Shrimpers.

If you haven't read this already get it on your Christmas list.

Back