• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

J.M.Coetzee's The Schooldays of Jesus.

An old mate bought me this for my birthday back in October and I've just got round to picking it up.Powerful allegorical fable.Topical to boot.:winking:

Just started Alan Bennett's third volume of diaries, Keeping on Keeping on.Wonderful stuff from my favourite octogenarian.

(The late) Quenten Crisp used to describe himself as "one of England's most stately homo's." I imagine AB qualifies these days.

I've nearly finished The Walking Dead - Rise of The Governor. If you like TWD then it's a good read, going back to the start of the outbreak and the Governor's journey. There are 3 other books following this one.

Recently read;
Catalyst - James Luceno. Prequel to the Rogue One movie, provides a lot of context to the relationship between Galen Erso & Director Krennic, and also between Krennic & Tarkin. A good read for Star War fans.
Ahsoka - EK Johnston. Book about the EU character Ahsoka Tano (Anakin Skywalker's padawan) from the Clone Wars & Rebels tv series. A lot of fun but has more of a Young Adult feel, one for the hardcore SW nerd.

Currently reading;
Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher.

I read Ruud Gullet's How To Watch Football, which sadly disappointed. I had high hopes for some real tactical insights into the game, what I got was a random collection of thoughts and statements, some times repeated, sometimes contradictory but always with one common thread:
Ruud Gullet knows best and is never wrong.
e.g. early on he goes on about being given total freedom not only on the pitch, but basically the manager deferring to him and that being right.
Later he says the manager must always be the top dog in all things. I get the feeling that his philosophy is that Ruud Gullet must be the top dog in all things.

Now reading No Moon Tonight by Don Charlwood. (My new (and last) copy of Progress magazine arrived so i'm reading that first then getting back to book)

Gave up with Great Expectations - some of it is great, especially when CD stuck to the crux of the story of Jaggers/Estella/Ms Haversham, but he too often goes off at a tagent - there's an entire chapter on when Pip goes to see Hamlet and it has absolutely no relevance to the overall story. Dear Mr. Dickens, please employ an editor. Thanks.

So moved onto more lightweight fare - Nomad by Alan Partridge. Top stuff.

Back