• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours I have just heard news about Mohsni

Totally agree. A chap I sit next to in the East Stand reckons he saw the ref warming up near the Northampton players who apparently started pointing Mohsni out to the ref who was nodding at them. Not saying it was a premeditated red card but the ref definitely had his card marked and was watching him like a hawk all game.

That would be a bit like the cosy little chat all 4 officials were having with Boothroyd in the car park after the game! That all went to plan didn't it chaps!

Are these comments serious?

Come on, be fair that was just a high boot - you can't compare that to Mohnsi's tackle.

Can't believe we didn't get a free kick when the guy went for a overhead kick directly in Corr's face though.

A high boot is dangerous play. Exactly what Mohsni was dismissed for.

Same thing. Just because there wasn't as much contact on Straker doesn't take away from the offence.

Serious Foul Play is not the same as Dangerous Play.............For what it's worth I'd like to see Mohsni see out the season here - he has something to offer, however you cannot argue that he deserved the red card yesterday - none of the opposition did anything worthy of a red card yesterday ( barring the keeper who could have been given 6 yellow cards for time wasting in the first half alone).

Well it was dark. Aidy soon buggered off when a few people started passing through the car park.

To be fair, I wouldn't put anything past Boothroyd!

Serious Foul Play is not the same as Dangerous Play.............For what it's worth I'd like to see Mohsni see out the season here - he has something to offer, however you cannot argue that he deserved the red card yesterday - none of the opposition did anything worthy of a red card yesterday ( barring the keeper who could have been given 6 yellow cards for time wasting in the first half alone).

To be fair, I wouldn't put anything past Boothroyd!

28 page's lol. Told you scott my source wouldnt lie, all them people who didnt believe it haha

The point is, he was on yet another 2nd chance (4th or 5th now). We had 3 players around the guy, including our other CB, Prosser. There was no need to get involved, especially if he's been told to behave. IMO he should of just sat behind ready to sweep up in the event it broke loose. Even if refs are looking out for him, he can't afford to fall into the trap. I love his passion, but he can't control it in the right way...therefore he's a liability.

The point is, he was on yet another 2nd chance (4th or 5th now). We had 3 players around the guy, including our other CB, Prosser. There was no need to get involved, especially if he's been told to behave. IMO he should of just sat behind ready to sweep up in the event it broke loose. Even if refs are looking out for him, he can't afford to fall into the trap. I love his passion, but he can't control it in the right way...therefore he's a liability.

That's how I see it too, I'm not Mohsni's greatest fan. Last season he really tested my loyalty with some of his misjudged antics so I wasn't ready to welcome him back at all. I'd really hoped Coughlan would have been able to play the CB role alongside Prosser, but Sturrock obviously didn't think he was up to it. I believe my source who tells me it was Sturrock's decision to have him back, and I believe also that that was because it was the only option possible, meaning it's really a bit pointless still having Coughlan on the playing books.

Having said that, I wanted him to do well once it was confirmed he was playing - he is still registered to us and all players get my support during a match - and to begin with, he seemed to. He was vocal in a positive way, encouraging others and ensuring they knew if they had time. It certainly wasn't a "red mist" moment yesterday, it was one of those times when he couldn't leave it to others to sort out so felt he had to get involved. Unnecessarily. It was an error of judgement, and I can't believe so many normally sane people are being so daft about it. Come on, once Barker and, in particular, Cresswell are back, would Mohsni get a look in? And as for saying it's time for Sturrock to go, and to bring Tilson back? Puh-leeeeze......he may have got us 2 promotions but he also got us 2 relegations, his time has been and gone and I don't want to go back there again, Now it's Sturrock's time, and we're bloody lucky to have him if you ask me.

Doing a U-turn is something we should all be prepared to do when circumstances (the context) change.
When context changes we need to be prepared to change.

So what was the context within which manager and CEO had said Bilel will never play for SUFC again:

1. we are building a team without him
  2. lack of respect to the club
  3. above his station
  4. he’d had lots of chances - a loose canon too often
  5. well get a fee for him so let him go
  6. had upset most if not all of the senior players
  7. unsure of his position

Bearing in mind points 1-7 it would have been wrong to bring him back at ANY TIME to displace the keen squad players who have behaved well and are waiting their chance. ie would be totally wrong for Bilel to come back and ‘jump’ the team selection queue - and there would be no point having him back and not even making the bench

The context we find ourselves in today is:

1) Struggling to field a team in particular short on defenders

2) The fringe players are either playing or have had their chance to impress.

3) Most of the senior players are currently unavailable

4) We could get annihilated if we have to play Spillane at centre back (where apart from Tuesday he’s not played for years and did not look comfortable) and in any case we need him in the holding position in midfield

5) Getting Annihilated today would make us very vulnerable for Wednesday.

6) There appears to be a virus in the camp - who else might get the bug for today or Wednesday

7) We are so desperate we are even at the maximum with permitted loans so an extra man becoming available is god-sent

8) We are desperate for money (Even more than beginning of the season?)

9) If we could rehabilitate Bilel under these circumstances it will bring more money into the club and is potentially be a win-win-win though it obviously carries its risks

10) And Bilel is quoted as saying:

“First of all I would like to just apologise to everyone at the Club for what has happened in the past.
“The manager and I have spoken about returning to the Club. The manager has always been very good with me and I have returned to repay the faith he has put in me.
“Hopefully I can play a big part in helping the Club after all the injuries they’ve suffered over the last few weeks.”

FInally and importantly on a personal level it looks like Sturrock has never treated Bilel with disrespect despite what has gone on. This return would backfire if the player no longer had respect for the manager.

Context is actually the thing that makes meaning to anything.

The idea that Bilel would never play for Southend again was in the context of all those months ago. In the context of today it makes really good sense.

Now we just need to keep our fingers crossed that Bilel has learn a lot about the game, his beliefs and his temper whist he has not actually been playing!

So has the (new) context changed since the game on Saturday?

Yes.
On the minus side for Bilel he has had another sending off thus appearing to validate those who don't want him to play for the club again

The plus side of the new context is however interesting

• One senior player (Barry Corr) has come out in support of Bilel coming back in the squad, even after Saturdays game
  • Despite everything the majority of the funs appear to be welcoming him back (the reception at the game)
  • Bilel appears to be calmer within himself. Although he was clearly upset by the sending off there were no histrionics (indeed all the histrionics came from their player Hackett)
  • The new players (and the old ones) will have noted how he can raise the spirits of the crowd, certainly, if nothing else, giving us a 'supersub' for remaining home games (after serves ban) of the season
  • He could be a useful 'wild card' if we get through to the Final of the JPT
  • The fact that he will be serving a three match ban (or 4 match ban if we appeal) means there is plenty of time now to re-integrate him into the squad (and if he doesn't integrate yes then we can get rid)
  • The management new it was a risk to bring him back the way they did (on balance it was still the right decision) and can easily put the latest sending off down to lack of match practice.
  • Despite the lack of match practice Bilel still demonstrated his class on Saturday

All in all I think we should now negotiate a new 18 month contract with Bilel with one of those release clauses (if a bid comes in for more than £750k or £xxxxx he is free to leave). Such a deal would be good for all parties. (and Bilel will know he'll get his big move if the chance and the right money comes along)

If we are going to give Bilel this one more chance then SUFC needs to get a potential (additional) reward for now investing effort in his rehab back into the professional game and this can only be done with a new contract

Yes.
On the minus side for Bilel he has had another sending off thus appearing to validate those who don't want him to play for the club again

• One senior player (Barry Corr) has come out in support of Bilel coming back in the squad, even after Saturdays game
  • Despite everything the majority of the funs appear to be welcoming him back (the reception at the game)
  • Bilel appears to be calmer within himself. Although he was clearly upset by the sending off there were no histrionics (indeed all the histrionics came from their player Hackett)
  • The new players (and the old ones) will have noted how he can raise the spirits of the crowd, certainly, if nothing else, giving us a 'supersub' for remaining home games (after serves ban) of the season
  • The fact that he will be serving a three match ban (or 4 match ban if we appeal) means there is plenty of time now to re-integrate him into the squad (and if he doesn't integrate yes then we can get rid)
  • The management new it was a risk to bring him back the way they did (on balance it was still the right decision) and can easily put the latest sending off down to lack of match practice.
  • Despite the lack of match practice Bilel still demonstrated his class on Saturday

All in all I think we should now negotiate a new 18 month contract with Bilel with one of those release clauses (if a bid comes in for more than £750k or £xxxxx he is free to leave). Such a deal would be good for all parties. (and Bilel will know he'll get his big move if the chance and the right money comes along)

If we are going to give Bilel this one more chance then SUFC needs to get a potential (additional) reward for now investing effort in his rehab back into the professional game and this can only be done with a new contract

A debate as to whether Bilel should be offered another contract with us? You're asking for another 28 pager!

Yes.

He doesnt want a new contract, he didnt want to play for us again and refused to even come back for training.

Its only because the 90 clubs he trialled for said they didnt want him that he has come back (West Ham at least did but not enough to pay more than their first offer), why would he sign a new contract?

Back