• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Euro 2016

Rooney behind kane and vardy would be an improvement on tonight's line up, I genuinely believe Bertrand and Clyne offer a little more defensively thane rose and walker too.

Really think Belgium will trouble the "big 4" had £20 on them at 12/1. Courtois, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Kompany, Dembele, Witsel, Hazard, DeBruyne, Lukaku! some big players in that squad!

Really think Belgium will trouble the "big 4" had £20 on them at 12/1. Courtois, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Kompany, Dembele, Witsel, Hazard, DeBruyne, Lukaku! some big players in that squad!

I'm guessing Kompany is out from that response haha. To be fair they have a wealth of good centre backs so replace with Vermalen

Especially Courtois, he's 6'6".

Joking aside, Could their issue be strength in depth? That list only contains 9 names. Are the other 13 up to the same standard? I genuinely don't know because I don't know enough about them.

I'm guessing Kompany is out from that response haha. To be fair they have a wealth of good centre backs so replace with Vermalen

Yeah, they are well sorted there. Listening to Trans European Express on Talk Sport the other day (highly recommended) they were saying Belgium are great for centre halves, but no so much for full backs. As a result, they do a bit of a Stoke and play four centre halves across the back. So even though Alderweireld (for example) is a first class centre half, he is likely to play full back.

Especially Courtois, he's 6'6".

Joking aside, Could their issue be strength in depth? That list only contains 9 names. Are the other 13 up to the same standard? I genuinely don't know because I don't know enough about them.

Belgium's squad:

Goalkeepers: Thibaut Courtois (Chelsea), Jean-Francois Gillet (Mechelen), Simon Mignolet (Liverpool)

Defenders: Toby Alderweireld (Tottenham), Dedryck Boyata (Celtic), Jason Denayer (Galatasaray), Bjorn Engels (Club Bruges), Nicolas Lombaerts (Zenit), Jordan Lukaku (Oostende), Thomas Meunier (Club Bruges), Thomas Vermaelen (Barcelona), Jan Vertonghen (Tottenham)

Midfielders: Marouane Fellaini (Manchester United), Radja Nainggolan (Roma), Axel Witsel (Zenit St Petersburg), Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City), Eden Hazard (Chelsea), Mousa Dembele (Tottenham)

Forwards: Michy Batshuayi (Marseille), Christian Benteke (Liverpool), Yannick Carrasco (Atletico Madrid), Romelu Lukaku (Everton), Dries Mertens (Napoli), Divock Origi (Liverpool)

Merrrhhh. Everyone was expecting big things from Belgium at the last world cup with this amazing squad they have. Probably more of a flop than England

Merrrhhh. Everyone was expecting big things from Belgium at the last world cup with this amazing squad they have. Probably more of a flop than England

A few sharps got on Belgium at massive prices a couple of years before the last World Cup; anyone holding a 100/1 ticket would have been in their rights to be a bit smug. But, as I said on another thread Belgium aren't dark horses any more. They are just horses.

Belgium remind me of Spain before they won Euro 08 and our very own "Golden Age" Such talented individuals expected to come good but always seem to choke on the big stage. Wonder if their time will come before the current squad starts disassembling

Belgium remind me of Spain before they won Euro 08 and our very own "Golden Age" Such talented individuals expected to come good but always seem to choke on the big stage. Wonder if their time will come before the current squad starts disassembling

This is only the second tournament this team has qualified for though. I'm not particularly convinced either, but 'always seem to choke' is a little harsh.

Just seen this on Twitter BTW - confirmation they won't be using Alderweireld and Vertonghen in the middle...

They are 12/1 for a reason. There are doubts no question! They seem to have a decent spine and a few Match winners, on their day we have seen great things from Hazard, DeBruyne and Lukaku. When speaking to Matt Le Tissier at a sportsmans evening the other week he has put a bet on Austria as his dark horse, nothing great on paper but he was convinced as a unit they are a very tough opposition.

They are 12/1 for a reason. There are doubts no question! They seem to have a decent spine and a few Match winners, on their day we have seen great things from Hazard, DeBruyne and Lukaku. When speaking to Matt Le Tissier at a sportsmans evening the other week he has put a bet on Austria as his dark horse, nothing great on paper but he was convinced as a unit they are a very tough opposition.

CLANGGGGGG!

:winking:

I'm another Belgium non-believer signing in here. Good players yes but completely dysfunctional team from all past evidence. If half of those listed play in Bundesliga/Serie A rather than the Prem I'd guess they would be 20/1 territory too.

Belgium have a stench of England in the 2000s about them. An assembly of great, individual players cobbled together because they're great players, not because they're a good team.

They'll get knocked out at the quarter final stage, Wilmots will be replaced by someone like Hiddink or Laurent Blanc and, despite an impressive qualifying period, they'll flatter to deceive in Russia.

This is only the second tournament this team has qualified for though. I'm not particularly convinced either, but 'always seem to choke' is a little harsh.

Just seen this on Twitter BTW - confirmation they won't be using Alderweireld and Vertonghen in the middle...

That was a summary of the Spain team and The England Golden Age, sorry should have been clear. That's what this crop of Belgium players remind me of though. I can see them following the same path.

Back